• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best Lipo battery and charger for SCA-1E Coyote Truck 2.1 RTR

Hi guys, I'm after some advice as to which Lipo batteries would be suited to the stock esc on the SCA-1E Coyote Truck 2.1 RTR and roughly how much drive time could I expect to get. I know the times will very with different terrains etc. Also what would be a good charger to go with the battery too.

Dave

I never found a need to run lipo on 1/10 crawlers, a 3500mah or even a 4500mah NI-MH and a spare one in the pocket covers best part of a day, maybe 3 full packs for a whole day, but if you want to go lipo then a 2s 4000-5200mah hardcase will do fine, remember to move the esc jumper to Lipo, cant help on charger but i use an Overlander RC6 and its been brilliant, had it for about 4 years and gets a hammering as i charge a lot of lipo for planes

I’ve not built my SCA-1E yet but in my Sendero HD I have been running a full-size 3250mah 2s lipo, because that’s what I had - taken it out for a couple of trail walks/crawls each over 2hrs and haven’t run out of juice yet - that’s with a 16t 5 slot brushed motor, similar enough to your 17t 5 slot in the Coyote for comparison.  

A friend uses 3s in his (with a similar Holmes Hobbies 5 slot) just to get more wheel speed, but honestly I’ve not found I need that yet, but like I said it’s the battery I had so that’s why it was chosen there’s no science behind it. 

This is the charger I use, a few friends have them too and all like them - can use it in your car  or off a 12v leisure battery too with the right input cable - I use it in my camper van when away from home. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=437057

Edited by walkbythesea

Thanks guys for the info and advice. I was thinking of getting a Lipo batteries because my wife has talked me back into camping with covid still spoiling holidays aboard and my doctors at hospital telling me its unsafe for me to travel aboard even when it eases and we can start going again due to me having a Hickman line and I need fluids 12 hours a day and 5 days a week and I've got to be careful with infections etc. So with going camping I don't want my wife moaning that I'm taking up plugs charging normal batteries cause I will have to charge my battery for my feeding pump and also need a fridge for my fluids to be kept under a certain temp plus she does'nt want loads of mains extensions in the tent LOL. I have got about 6 NI-MH which I guess I could charge prior to going and try a make them last depending on how many days/nights we end up going away for. Thanks again guys

Dave

The charger I linked to will work off mains power or 12v and will charge nimh too if it helps you being able to charge them from the car while you explore the area etc?

Cheaper than buying a charger and lipo right away if you already have loads of nimh.