• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommend me a motor fan

Three_Stacks

Hi there, 

I am running an HPI WR8 Flux on 3s with a 15T pinion (standard) but the motor seems to get very hot. 

I have tried a 14T pinion, but didn't change much and I have checked the drivetrain and all seems to run freely, and the spacing on the spur gear is correct. 

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a motor fan ? 

I think it would need to be a single fan, but I wondered if fans work at all, thinking that they create a cool spot on the centre of the motor can, but perhaps the other side of the motor or the ends of the motor would still be just as hot ?

Any advice greatly appreciated ! 

I don't know about your specific model, but what's the air flow like within the shell? 

If you don't have a cool source of air, you'll just circulate hot air around.

I had the same issue and just took a drill to my shell, it dropped my temps by 40c. Previously I had very little air flow on a 19T/4274/2200kv/6S setup...hence the crazy temps. 

Edited by Bert_w164

Hi Bert_w164,

I think you may be right about the airflow under the shell - I suppose I was hoping not to cut the shell up too much, but I will make a few flow holes and see if that help. 

The ESC runs pretty cool, but the motor is roasting.

I haven't experienced any thermal cut off, but can imagine it's doing the motor much good.

The motor is fine up to 80c so it might feel pretty hot even if its within reasonable limits. 

I would recommend getting a small clip on heatsink and fan as a rally car isn't going to be jumped like a basher, so its unlikely to come off or break.  The air in the shell won't be anywhere near 80c so it will still cool down the motor effectively.