• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this a stupid idea?

broon

After having a nightmare with rechargeable glow igniters. I was wondering if I could use something like this https://www.amazon.com/Goolsky-Electronic-Igniter-Alligator-Powered/dp/B01HRBNQSW

Then add a Tamiya style plug instead of the alligator clips and connect it to a 7.2V NiMH battery from my easy starter. Presumably it will last ages in comparison?

Or is there a reason everyone isn't already doing this?

Cheers,

In short.....yes.

The problem with that unit, and in fact, with quite a few similar solutions is the voltage. Your normal glow plug igniter system is running at 1.5V ( well...1.2-1.5V) and not at 7.2V...or even 12V.

Running your glowplugs at 6-8 times the intended voltage may well make them glow nicely to start with, but they are not going to last long. If you can step the voltage down to where it should be, then fine, but that is something you would have to sort for yourself.

I have a couple of modified glow plug igniters. One uses an easy to swap out rechargable AA pack with a bundle of AA rechargables on hand. The other uses a pair of D cells in a holder ( in parallel....to maintain the correct voltage) That has a simple connector for the glowplug, and it plugs into the battery pack to energise it.

There are various ways to do this to improve on whats out there, or....in my case...to take old ignitors with dead packs and make them usable again, either by making replaceable battery packs or by modifying them to make swappable rechargable cells.

No reason not to use a 7.2V power supply...if you step it down to 1.5

Sorry, I should have said, the reason I selected that one is because it looks like it has the step down module built in if you scroll through the images. So effectively saving me the hassle of putting a stepper in and I'd just need banana plugs or a Tamiya plug...

Ages ago I looked at the type you linked but read they were unreliable. So went for this and works fine with 7.2V pack....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3A-DC-DC-STEP-DOWN-BUCK-CONVERTER-8-22V-TO-1-15V-eg-12V-9V-6V-5V-3-3V-1-5V-/181881567690
There is a pot underneath to adjust output voltage.
You juts have to be careful with the cable not getting wrapped around anything that moves.

Cheers, looks like there's loads of steppers on eBay, some have digital output displays, so one of those should do the trick. At least I can check it once with a multimeter and then just keep it in a little hard case with the battery. Guess 1.5V and 2-3A should be good.

I put one of These in my starter box.

spacer.png

Also have a couple with the display, Both work great for about 4 quid.

spacer.png

Now glow plug just plugs into the front.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by babylon