• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Quantum Flux

mmrr

Hi

Just thought it only right that I add more to this forum, than just reading and taking advice.

Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place or any other such rookie errors🤔

I'm new to the hobby, bought my Quantum flux XT in November and than got my 10 yr old son an MT for Christmas.

We are enjoying it a lot but it has cost more than initially expected as it seemed that every time we took them out something broke.

I have made some changes to the the stock vehicle, some of which are mentioned in this forum, some are not, so I thought I'd go through them and explain some of what I have found out.

I hope it doesn't come across as a noob trying to preach to the choir🤣

Firstly I would suggest that a 2s setup seems to be the sweet spot for this car. I did replace my 2s with a 3s when I got my son's car and seemed to lose some control. Parts seemed to break more on my car as opposed to my son's.

I now make a lot of use of the throttle trim on the controller, when bashing I dial it down and if driving on flat ground and want more speed, I dial it up. This has led to less breakages and bent axles.

I have put loctite on the drive shaft grub screw and the servo horn screw.

I have replaced the small washers on the axles behind the hex hub with 2 of 12mm M5  washers on each wheel, I have also filed down the lip on the back of the wheel hex hub, this has also helped with bent axles. My son still has the original parts (non hd) but has not bent any axles since I have done this.

I have replaced my axles and drive shafts with the hd parts.

IMG_20210405_163630__01.thumb.jpg.5caff8e1ef9bd057df4342109fe74056.jpg

I have replaced my turnbuckles with stronger parts I bought from Amazon as the original were like many parts on this car, made of biscuit😜😂 (especially the suspension arms)

IMG_20210405_163645.thumb.jpg.13e9ac9d6c8153d2e0dd1a8ac2d29fa5.jpg

I have replaced the suspension springs with some bought from eBay and Amazon but found none worked well. I have since bought the option part, which come on the quantum+.

The 1.4mm firm springs are installed on the rear with the 1.3mm on the front, both have TLR 70w (910cst) oil in the shocks. The car is driving better than it has before.

We've had a lot of fun with these cars, not only driving them on the tarmac on the estate in which we live, or the local park but also searching for places to smash them up😜 this is not easy in central London, but we have identified one or two places.

As an introduction, to RC cars the Quantum flux has not failed and it looks like my son is hooked, which means I am to😉.

I have kept all my receipts for everything I have bought, bit like my log book for my big car. Not sure I should count up, may have spent enough to buy a much better model but nevermind, just need to make sure the wife doesn't see it all😨

Hopefully, with the hd parts available now, the expenditure will come down and this car will be seen as the great little budget basher it is.

Mark

Edited by mmrr
  • Like 3

Great post mate  :good:

I really like my Quantum for what it is, a budget basher. By no means is it bulletproof but it holds up pretty damn well, and has been more durable than almost all of my more expensive RC's.

I think you're right about 2s being the sweet spot.  Although the esc & motor can take it, it's definitely not a model designed for 3s bashing.

That's its only big downfall in my opinion, but for £150 what do you expect? 

Hopefully, with the upgrades you've made, yours will hold up a bit better now. Bash on my friend 

Good little write up. I did similar with the servo horn and grub screw loctite, and also did the M5 washer mod. Just took mine ours first time today, only thing to break were the body posts 😂 the only spare I didn’t buy! Been a fun little car though. Enjoy!

Thanks guys.

@James.S yeah speed is definitely not king with this car.

@Seminole81 I have the same problem. Broken post but no stock anywhere. I attempted to buy some from eBay but that was a waste of time and money.

Next step, Araldite🤷‍♂️. I swapped the posts around so the glued joint was within the post holder assuming it might have more strength but it still broke again quite quickly.

I spent most of my time out today with the front corner of my lid flapping around, but did not detract from the fun.

The search for metal posts continues😉

18 minutes ago, mmrr said:

Thanks guys.

@James.S yeah speed is definitely not king with this car.

@Seminole81 I have the same problem. Broken post but no stock anywhere. I attempted to buy some from eBay but that was a waste of time and money.

Next step, Araldite🤷‍♂️. I swapped the posts around so the glued joint was within the post holder assuming it might have more strength but it still broke again quite quickly.

I spent most of my time out today with the front corner of my lid flapping around, but did not detract from the fun.

The search for metal posts continues😉

Let me know if you find anything. Luckily our broken posts are both on the back 😂

I tell you what I did see. Someone made some out of a few nuts, a washer, and a M6 x 50mm bolt. Might be an option.

image.thumb.png.b04800a379967267025230d36b4e16b8.png

Edited by Seminole81

I could probably do that for now. Although it might be a bit difficult drilling through the thread for the body clip without a drill press and clamp.

If I can though I might just make four and use them permanently.

My broken post was on the back originally, but as the front sits lower in the mount, I tried to swap them under the illusion that if the glued break/joint was hidden inside the mount just above the screw it might not break again as easily as if it were above the mount.

15 minutes ago, mmrr said:

I could probably do that for now. Although it might be a bit difficult drilling through the thread for the body clip without a drill press and clamp.

If I can though I might just make four and use them permanently.

My broken post was on the back originally, but as the front sits lower in the mount, I tried to swap them under the illusion that if the glued break/joint was hidden inside the mount just above the screw it might not break again as easily as if it were above the mount.

Could just use another nut potentially instead of the little body clip (lost those in the field 😅)

EDIT: Will move over to owner’s thread now.

Edited by Seminole81
Didn’t see MOD post
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Seminole81 said:

Could just use another nut potentially instead of the little body clip (lost those in the field 😅)

Or a wing nut I suppose

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Zombi said:

Where did you get the 12mm m5 washers from?  They only seem to do 15mm washers on ebay, which i bought but the wheel is now binding when I tighten it on.

I got mine from my work. But just Google them. I'm sure I saw them on Amazon. I think someone linked them in the Quantum Flux thread

M5 x 12mm Flat Washer Zinc (FWMZ.5) | From Co-Star

M5x12.5x1.00mm Mild Steel Form C Flat Washer - Orbital Fasteners

• Like 1