• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Typhon 3s owners thread.

They're fun as hell. 

Sadly screwed ours temporarily up by melting the connector housing of my last XT90, after cutting off the EC5 of the ESC.

Because of course i did.

Had mine since April absolutely love mine its almost indestructible its took all the abuse I've thrown at. Just keep an eye on the motor bearings if you get it wet all the time, try it with a 20t pinion wow it's quick just watch the temps.

Nah we'll keep that one stock - my wife plays with it, so no need to go overboard. Ordered a 6s for that. 😄

We might check options for aluminium shocks, saw that Duperbash had Trackstars on his (£10 a pair), with 6s internals or something - didn't entirely catch it, but appears to be working good.

Yeah, we got the v3, so it's not urgent as i understand it. We'll see how the shocks hold up, i'm actually quite happy with it stock. First RC ever, i think, where i didn't immediately want to change things.

• Like 1

I was wondering about moving up in pinion, they state 50mph+ mine did 46 absolutely flat out today, not that I am bothered by a spreadsheet of course, but I feel like the electrics do have more to give.

What's the stock pinion? I am guessing around 15/16?

Saying that, after running it, I am really considering putting all the electrics from this into the Senton and running this on the Max10 Castle 3800 combo from the Senton, which is faster.

Mostly because SCT just don't really do speed well, too much parachuting.

This buggy is all the fun of SCT without that drawback.

Edited by Oh How Original

58 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I was wondering about moving up in pinion, they state 50mph+ mine did 46 absolutely flat out today, not that I am bothered by a spreadsheet of course, but I feel like the electrics do have more to give.

What's the stock pinion? I am guessing around 15/16?

Saying that, after running it, I am really considering putting all the electrics from this into the Senton and running this on the Max10 Castle 3800 combo from the Senton, which is faster.

Mostly because SCT just don't really do speed well, too much parachuting.

This buggy is all the fun of SCT without that drawback.

image.thumb.png.2bf0da14c7374e0ce77a1f82443d090b.png

Yeah it doesn't actually feel like 50mph, had the same feeling.

That said: weather could play a role there - a stone cold battery loses quite a bit of power. I was quite surprised by how much indeed, when i took my X-Maxx out the other day and actually didn't manage to wheelie it anymore on 8s - only after "heating" the packs to around 25 degrees in the car it picked up again. 

Already have a set of PL Avenger HP S3 ordered, mainly for the 6s - but should be actually more fun on tarmac with the 3s. 

7 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

image.thumb.png.2bf0da14c7374e0ce77a1f82443d090b.png

Yeah it doesn't actually feel like 50mph, had the same feeling.

That said: weather could play a role there - a stone cold battery loses quite a bit of power. I was quite surprised by how much indeed, when i took my X-Maxx out the other day and actually didn't manage to wheelie it anymore on 8s - only after "heating" the packs to around 25 degrees in the car it picked up again. 

Already have a set of PL Avenger HP S3 ordered, mainly for the 6s - but should be actually more fun on tarmac with the 3s. 

I figured it would be around 15-16t, I might order an 18/19 and 20 and do some testing.

Perhaps do a speed run first thing, then bash for 5 minutes to heat things up, then do another speed run and see the difference, could be an interesting test and provide useful results for others too.

I have also considered some on road stuff, I'd probably go cheap with Fastrax though, they seem to do the job well for a 3rd of the price.

5 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I figured it would be around 15-16t, I might order an 18/19 and 20 and do some testing.

Perhaps do a speed run first thing, then bash for 5 minutes to heat things up, then do another speed run and see the difference, could be an interesting test and provide useful results for others too.

I have also considered some on road stuff, I'd probably go cheap with Fastrax though, they seem to do the job well for a 3rd of the price.

Yeah on the 3s i wouldn't bother with proline either, but at 70mph (maybe more..) if something goes wrong, it's probably time to get shovel and broom to pick up the RC. 

That being said, admittedly i didn't even know Fastrax makes belted tyres. 

And yeah, it would be pretty cool to see - though probably better to get two packs, one cold and one in a heating blanket at the same charge. I do have two identical 3s packs (same cycles etc), might check if i have something that heats via USB power. 

Edited by m4inbrain

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah on the 3s i wouldn't bother with proline either, but at 70mph (maybe more..) if something goes wrong, it's probably time to get shovel and broom to pick up the RC. 

That being said, admittedly i didn't even know Fastrax makes belted tyres. 

And yeah, it would be pretty cool to see - though probably better to get two packs, one cold and one in a heating blanket at the same charge. I do have two identical 3s packs (same cycles etc), might check if i have something that heats via USB power. 

I don't think you'd need a specific heater, I think if you went to the extremes of separate packs and so on, just leave it in the car with the heater on, perhaps on the drivers seat or something for 5-10 minutes.

It would suffice.

No idea if they make belted tyres, but I wouldn't buy belted either, I don't really see any problem with a bit of ballooning, I'm not racing, cheap to replace serves me better, and most people aren't actually going to hit flat out often, like, for a prolonger period.

Just now, Oh How Original said:

No idea if they make belted tyres, but I wouldn't buy belted either, I don't really see any problem with a bit of ballooning, I'm not racing, cheap to replace serves me better, and most people aren't actually going to hit flat out often, like, for a prolonger period.

I certainly ain't racing either lol.

That said: a bit of ballooning is fine, but throwing a tyre at high speed just doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather spend £75 and be fine, than £35 and potential repairs, regardless of how often i hit flat out often. The 6s shreds all kinds of tyres (both offroad and on road tyres), why take chances. I don't mind cheap stuff in certain places, but i wouldn't run cheap Ling Long tyres (disclaimer: not racist, actual company) on my 1-1 either.  

I'm only putting them on the 3s because i have them, for the 3s as it sits now i'd get duratrax or something as well.

20 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

I certainly ain't racing either lol.

That said: a bit of ballooning is fine, but throwing a tyre at high speed just doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather spend £75 and be fine, than £35 and potential repairs, regardless of how often i hit flat out often. The 6s shreds all kinds of tyres (both offroad and on road tyres), why take chances. I don't mind cheap stuff in certain places, but i wouldn't run cheap Ling Long tyres (disclaimer: not racist, actual company) on my 1-1 either.  

I'm only putting them on the 3s because i have them, for the 3s as it sits now i'd get duratrax or something as well.

Proline still come out.

Ballooning isn't really always what causes a tyre to come off, a tyre can still split or break the glue from pressure anyway.

And if you are shredding them, I wouldn't want to run my rubber down often at 75 a pop 😛

1:1is different, that's your life.

21 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Proline still come out.

Ballooning isn't really always what causes a tyre to come off, a tyre can still split or break the glue from pressure anyway.

And if you are shredding them, I wouldn't want to run my rubber down often at 75 a pop 😛

1:1is different, that's your life.

Well not in the videos i watched. I'd be pretty disappointed if i'd bought belted tyres and they'd still balloon. Running the 3s on tarmac today, it definitely needs something though because the factor tyres won't last long. 😉

Either way, i thought i mention it here as well. Had the Typhon 3s out with proper batteries today (Turnigy Rapids, both 2s and 3s) - and it's warmer on top. I'm pretty certain (by eye) that i hit 50mph or very close to it, unlike the first run where it felt more around 40. Proper good runs today, even on 2s it was impressively nippy. 

4 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Well not in the videos i watched. I'd be pretty disappointed if i'd bought belted tyres and they'd still balloon. Running the 3s on tarmac today, it definitely needs something though because the factor tyres won't last long. 😉

Either way, i thought i mention it here as well. Had the Typhon 3s out with proper batteries today (Turnigy Rapids, both 2s and 3s) - and it's warmer on top. I'm pretty certain (by eye) that i hit 50mph or very close to it, unlike the first run where it felt more around 40. Proper good runs today, even on 2s it was impressively nippy. 

When I was talking about ballooning I was meaning 6s runs.

Unless you are running crazy high kv, 3s won't do much, mine don't really balloon too bad when I've watched slowmo video and pictures back.

I do have some Fastrax replacements sat here, but the stock are actually pretty good tyres, off road anyway, if running on road it's a different story.

Oh yeah, of course the 3s doesn't need belted tyres lol. 

As i said, those are ordered for the 6s, though as mentioned that idea might change. But since they fit the 3s, might as well throw them on when running on tarmac. And yeah, the stockers are actually reasonable on grass and dirt (haven't tested gravel/sand yet), but on tarmac you can literally hear them rub away into dust. 😄

Hopefully mine will be here tomorrow, got some on road tyres somewhere I'll use for tarmac running and contemplating getting some sand paddles for it, as the beach is only 5 mins away!!

• Like 1

I've got paddles for mine too, not sure when I'll use them, got no beach anywhere near me, but we do get random snow here, so maybe then, that said, when it's a bit boggy where those pictures were taken, there's some big puddles, probably 50-60feet long, so I might get some cool footage and photos there with paddles.

Or just wreck them on the grass :lol: at £24 for a full set, I wouldn't be totally mad to ruin them in a single run.

8 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I've got paddles for mine too, not sure when I'll use them, got no beach anywhere near me, but we do get random snow here, so maybe then, that said, when it's a bit boggy where those pictures were taken, there's some big puddles, probably 50-60feet long, so I might get some cool footage and photos there with paddles.

Or just wreck them on the grass :lol: at £24 for a full set, I wouldn't be totally mad to ruin them in a single run.

What paddles you got ? Been looking at the eBay specials !

1 minute ago, Andy20xe said:

What paddles you got ? Been looking at the eBay specials !

Just Fastrax ones.

How much are the eBay ones?

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/fastrax-1-8-paddle-mounted-on-8-spoke-white-pr-8706

FYI I've never used these before, so not sure if I'd recommend them or not.

However, I have used Nanda Blocks before which are I believe basically the same and they're fine, so I took a chance on these.

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Just Fastrax ones.

How much are the eBay ones?

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/fastrax-1-8-paddle-mounted-on-8-spoke-white-pr-8706

FYI I've never used these before, so not sure if I'd recommend them or not.

However, I have used Nanda Blocks before which are I believe basically the same and they're fine, so I took a chance on these.

I was looking at something like this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333875377783

But them fastrax ones ones look much better so I’ll order a set of them. 

2 minutes ago, Andy20xe said:

I was looking at something like this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333875377783

But them fastrax ones ones look much better so I’ll order a set of them. 

I might actually order a set of those cheapies and do a little comparison.

Maybe just trash them on road to see how quick they are slicks :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

If there's enough meat on them, carve 'em and go water-skipping. 😄

Had a look at Fastrax tyres, i mean.. Sure, £40 for a set of 2 is pretty steep for the Prolines, but man those Fastrax' look awful? I found a set of Duratrax' that looks reasonable (Bandito or something?), gotta look into that. Decided though that i'll get Badlands MX first, because i don't like the white wheels of the DB Pro, so there's an option. What kinda hexes does the Typhon 3s have, 17mm? I might be mistaken but i think my neighbour mentioned he had to do a conversion to 17mm on the big rock, but wasn't listening proper. 

7 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

If there's enough meat on them, carve 'em and go water-skipping. 😄

Had a look at Fastrax tyres, i mean.. Sure, £40 for a set of 2 is pretty steep for the Prolines, but man those Fastrax' look awful? I found a set of Duratrax' that looks reasonable (Bandito or something?), gotta look into that. Decided though that i'll get Badlands MX first, because i don't like the white wheels of the DB Pro, so there's an option. What kinda hexes does the Typhon 3s have, 17mm? I might be mistaken but i think my neighbour mentioned he had to do a conversion to 17mm on the big rock, but wasn't listening proper. 

I don't really mind how they look, I like to use and abuse my cars, not sit and look at them :lol: I can get 4x as many too, so if I break a wheel (done to a Proline) or round a hex (also done to a Proline) I've got spares 😛 

Plus they all look the same covered in mud 😛 

Duratrax supposed to be okay, I believe they make clones of Prolines essentially, although Josh (Harley on fb/yt) did once say he loved Duratrax because they have all that rubbery smell and look, without the side effect of grip :lol: 

Yes the Typhon 3s comes with 17mm hexes, it's the only 3s model that does, so yeah he would need to convert the Big Rock.

I've just bought all the stuff to convert my Senton, since that Traxxas crap isn't fit for purpose and MS took a look and said return them for a refund.