• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Water Jet Drives

Tinman1711

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of installing water jet drives into a hull? I'm looking at putting 2 into a fast electric hull but trying to measure

anything on a boat hull is tricky to say the least. I'm doing what seems logical (that's the scary bit!!).

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

SIDI 002.JPG

SIDI 008.JPG

SIDI 001.JPG

8 hours ago, Tinman1711 said:

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of installing water jet drives into a hull? I'm looking at putting 2 into a fast electric hull but trying to measure

anything on a boat hull is tricky to say the least. I'm doing what seems logical (that's the scary bit!!).

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

SIDI 002.JPG

SIDI 008.JPG

SIDI 001.JPG

If it was me i would try to fit them closer to the middle  i know it will be a pain for the inlet.    Have you tried seeing how low the hull is with everything sitting in the boat.

Thank you for your response.

The boat was originally powered by twin electric motors, driving a 'Z' drive through a gearbox. The gearbox disintegrated so I

thought I'd try this conversion as a dummy run, before I do something similar to a larger boat. I've attached a picture of the boat as it was. It gives an idea of where the waterline might be.

I take your point about mounting the jet drives towards the middle but the stepped hull makes it tricky at best and because the steps

are not horizontal, the jet nozzles would probably not stay below the surface when steering, unless the boat banked enough during the turn. With that in mind, I've decided to 'fix' the nozzles and use a rudder.

I'm a very experienced boat builder, so I'm making this up as I go along.

Thanks again for your response.

003.JPG

005.JPG

SIDI post.doc

• Like 1