• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is keeping thing for spares a bit.. boring? Ideas please!

DAL3D

I had so many crawler spares, I built my nephews a truck, I still have enough left over to almost build another truck and that's after I sold someone a bigish job lot which was, again, almost a complete truck.

I also once went through my Baja parts to find I had more than two complete buggies in spare parts :lol:

I like the idea of a 4s or 6s Granite.

I suppose the problem might be space to mount an 8th scale motor, does that motor mount actually accept that size motor, will it clear the chassis?

51 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I had so many crawler spares, I built my nephews a truck, I still have enough left over to almost build another truck and that's after I sold someone a bigish job lot which was, again, almost a complete truck.

I also once went through my Baja parts to find I had more than two complete buggies in spare parts :lol:

I like the idea of a 4s or 6s Granite.

I suppose the problem might be space to mount an 8th scale motor, does that motor mount actually accept that size motor, will it clear the chassis?

Will have to have a measure up and see.  Might see if there's any good deals on Hobbywing etc to dip my toe into. There's also the issue that with a higher powered motor comes the possibility of disintegrated the diffs that weren't designed for the load!

How about a 6S Granite with wide Big Rock suspension... It'd be square 🤣

All part of the fun.

1 minute ago, DAL3D said:

Will have to have a measure up and see.  Might see if there's any good deals on Hobbywing etc to dip my toe into. There's also the issue that with a higher powered motor comes the possibility of disintegrated the diffs that weren't designed for the load!

How about a 6S Granite with wide Big Rock suspension... It'd be square 🤣

All part of the fun.

I think I'd opt for a quicrun 150 because they are very good value with a fake Castle 2650kv on 4s, low geared... That would be one badass Granite my friend.

Please tag/quote me when you have measured up, I have been contemplating something similar, hence having the electrics in my head already lol, and I can't find a 4s/6s model I actually want, so figured I might just 'make' my own.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I think I'd opt for a quicrun 150 because they are very good value with a fake Castle 2650kv on 4s, low geared... That would be one badass Granite my friend.

Please tag/quote me when you have measured up, I have been contemplating something similar, hence having the electrics in my head already lol, and I can't find a 4s/6s model I actually want, so figured I might just 'make' my own.

A 4S is quite appealing I must say as I've got quite a few pairs of 2S I could series up together. And that Castle type 2650kv range has a slightly smaller diameter motor to the Arrma ones so has a chance of fitting.

Will keep you and this thread up to date with how it goes 👍

• Thanks 1

After working out what I'd need to order to do what I want with this chassis - Body, wheels, 17mm hex mods etc to make a kind of 4S Kraton.. I'm thinking it might be better "value" to just buy a Kraton EXB Roller and be done with all the mods and keep what I have as actual spares.

Or has the RC bug really hit hard? 🤣

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well it moved under it's own steam - albeit only around the kitchen for now.

IMG20210219153359.thumb.jpg.10de69fc45a1fbf33d5c08f134721a3b.jpg

Ended up getting a LWB 3S chassis for stability so have the SWB one as spare for the Granite still. Got to tidy up the wiring, double check the diffs and threadlock all the screws before running in anger. And paint the bodyshell.

Quicrun 150A - mounted on a plate so I can still get to the receiver screws

4068 2050kv Surpass motor with a 15T pinion for now

25kg metal servo with 25T servo saver

DumboRC

3/4/6S compatible

Tidied up the wiring, loctited, set end points and have some slightly longer velcro straps on the way for the stack of batteries.

Just painting the body shell (slowly) now so should be able to have a blast in the field at the weekend all being well.

IMG20210302113803.thumb.jpg.598214e2fac591fa14ad2eae2c7ac685.jpg

Tried it on 4S and 6S (probably need to fit the smaller pinion really) in the house so just need to let rip and see what happens!

Not quite sure what it is though as it's got bits of Granite, Senton and Kraton.

Just a mongrel I guess.

• 1 month later...