• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

QueenHobby ESC: horrible response time

emilevirus

I ordered a cheap QueenHobby ESC. The response time is HORRIBLE. It takes 2-4s to start spinning. At first, I thought it was just a ****ty ESC, but I see people using them on internet and it seems ok. What am I doing wrong? Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kr1R_zf4DY&feature=youtu.be

Hi,

I have one of these, mine doesn't behave in the same manner though.  Have you ruled out your RX/TX? 

If your RX/TX is all good, it's probably a bad unit which wouldn't be unheard of. 

1 hour ago, Bert_w164 said:

Hi,

I have one of these, mine doesn't behave in the same manner though.  Have you ruled out your RX/TX? 

If your RX/TX is all good, it's probably a bad unit which wouldn't be unheard of. 

I have 3 of them. All of them does this. I tried switching the TX too. Very weird...

This is a strange one for sure. If it wasn't for the lock down and you were fairly local I'd offer to test one of your ESCs, or lend you mine to rule out the rest of your gear. 

Do you have an ESC which isn't a queen hobby on which you can test the rest of your kit? Just thinking about this logically, it could be three duff units, but the only way you'll know is if you test the rest of your kit on a different ESC. 

Edited by Bert_w164

So I played with mine a bit, all was fine and then suddenly it wasn't responding as I pressed the trigger on the TX. 

2-3 seconds later it started responding and bellowing out smoke from the side. I found blobs of solder on the side and the PCB had burnt to a crisp. 

I assume the delay is some sort of protection, I have a 60a unit and admittedly was pushing it with a motor that ought to be matched to a higher rated ESC. And my logic behind doing so is it has a burst rate of 320a/60a continuous so as long as there's little to no load and I'm not pushing it, it may be okay. 

Interestingly the failure wasn't after an extended run, it was turned on and basically wouldn't respond and then went up in smoke. Previously it had ran with the same motor without complaints. It could be the previous runs had heated the PCB and solder to the point where it short circuited, but literally the previous run was 15 seconds in my living room. 

I can't entirely blame the ESC, but then again, I can't see continuous draw of the motor being >60a without load, or exceeding the burst limit for a prolonged period of time to set it alight. 

I'm done with these cheap ESCs, I had bought it for my Xinlehong Q902 but have lost interest in that since getting the H7 shell. 

I do have a Hobby King KK Series 150a ESC on the way, but now toying with biting the bullet and getting a Hobbywing XR8 sensored ESC for my Taurus motor...Just trying to figure out if the extra £80  is worth it!