• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sca-1e rtr range rover a bit dissapointing

So we took the plunge and picked up the rtr range rover yesterday. 

Our only other crawler is an scx24 which we love when it's not broke down and waiting for parts!

The sca-1e looks and feels great, like a quality bit of kit. Unfortunately upon testing it indoors last night a few things became apparent and I'm hoping someone can point me toward some info. 

1. The biggest standout is the lack of steering. Not only is it really slow (which doesn't bother us too much as its a crawler after all) but there just isn't much of turning circle at all. Genuinely surprised how poor it is.

2. The tyres are clipping the shell on full lock, on flat ground. We can raise the body some but seriously, this shouldn't be happening out the box? 

3. Going from the fine control of our scx24 to this car is jarring! The transmitter is clearly pretty cheap rubbish to be honest. Is this an issue with the quality of the esc also? 

4. It's too damn fast! How do we slow this thing down? New motor? Gearing? It also cocks a wheel all the bloody time under a bit of speed  which I've seen crawlers on YouTube doing but I've no idea why. 

Send help! 

Okay here we go. It looks like a decent bit of kit and its priced reasonably as well. Of course youd never expect anything to be wrong with it out of the box, but the setup might be wrong. Im wondering if the lack of steering thing could be because the tyres rub on the body. Id mess around with the controller, maybe see if theres a dual rate control on it anywhere to get more throw. The arches look awfully close to the tyres on the photos im looking at, maybe you could purchase a tyre with a slightly smaller diameter to combat this. Another trick is thinner hex adapters. Im willing to bet theyve got 6mm+ hexes on that truck which push the wheels out further making the problem worse. Which version are you running? the one with the cnc wheels or plastic? The plastic wheels look to be offset, which will make that rubbing worse. Really we would want to bring those wheels in by about 10mm each side, which is pretty nuts. The speed control is probably tat judging by it being a ready to run model, it seems to have become acceptable to sell rtrs with really basic equipment. Its possible with a different controller to dial in some "exponential" to soften the ecs response, but that controller would cost more than a new esc. I would highly suggest a hobbywing 1080 esc, they are fantastic and cheap. However, we can  mess with gearing to change the speed. Depending on what the physical design of the truck is like, you can probably +/- 3 or 4 teeth without issue. It comes with a 35 turn motor so going to a 45 or a 55 would definitely slow it down, but i would probably mess with the gearing first.

It seems like a pretty good truck looking at the photos, although its very difficult to get close ups of the chassis and its components. Hopefully this was helpful in some way. 

Edit; You could also purchase some "over fenders" to allow you to cut the wheel arches with a larger radius and let you fit the larger tyres. Depending on personal preference that could be a solution, they are cheap on ebay and a curved set of lexan scissors are always good to have :) You may even be able to snip just a little bit off of the existing radius without it looking odd, its a hit and miss game though.

Edited by Ninetiesbeard
  • Like 1

I have the kit version of the SCA1E Range Rover but I can see why you might have issues. I think like someone said before check the steering dual rate adjustment, the steering on mine isn't too bad but I have a high torque servo and non standard radio. 

The RTR wheels and tyres are much larger than mine, and mine would rub if the body was lower. I think narrower hexes could work but you might want to chop the front bumper a bit? The big black front bumper gets in the way when crawling so I have made the decision to take mine off and trim it down for a more scale look and gain some clearance. Here's a pic of a similar setup...

With a bit of tinkering they can be really good trucks, I am certainly pleased with mine but I have spent quite a while adjusting/building it.

featured_preview_20200403_120022.jpg

• Like 1

on the TX there is a rotary wheel in totally the wrong place very time i pick mine up i end up turning the steering rate down, simple fix that i am gonna nip up to the garage and do in a min is set the rate then tape over the stupid rotary thing, my F-150 also suffered awful tyre scrub in the arches, so i fitted 96mm tyres, made a huge difference but doing this pulls the trucks gearing down so i went up on the pinion size, now it goes well and no more scrub

Ford wheels (3).JPG

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1