• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheap portal axles

Fly In My Soup

9 minutes ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

Adding to this ive got a set of cheap alloy ar45p axles in the mail from china, if they ever get here ill add a review here to bolster our knowledge of the cheap axles

Ar45p... Not got my hands on any of them yet... Any link?? 

Will be interesting to see a full comparison 

These are last set of ar60 v3, the ones mentioned in thd above video, from xtraspeed 

• Like 1

Metal Front Rear Portal Axle Assembly for 1/10 RC Climbing SCX10 III AX103007 | eBay

Ive ordered a set for a 6x6 im building, They look fairly stout. I plan to modify the housings so ill be able to comment on the material hardness ect.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

Metal Front Rear Portal Axle Assembly for 1/10 RC Climbing SCX10 III AX103007 | eBay

Ive ordered a set for a 6x6 im building, They look fairly stout. I plan to modify the housings so ill be able to comment on the material hardness ect.

These are from the same company as mine.... Injora/fimonda etc... 

They sell these on aliex for £75 for both... 

9 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

These are from the same company as mine.... Injora/fimonda etc... 

They sell these on aliex for £75 for both... 

Christ. Oh well, live and learn! i paid 160 for three, yikes.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So i got my AR45P axles from chinabay, and ive got to say im not particularly happy. Theyll do for what i want, but they most certainly arent quality items. The gearing feels chewy, the silver on the axles is actually painted (!) and not raw. One axle was seized solid but freed up with a little persuasion. Theyll do for what i want, but beware if you want nice quality items. Oh, and also my wheels dont clear the portals so thats brilliant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

So i got my AR45P axles from chinabay, and ive got to say im not particularly happy. Theyll do for what i want, but they most certainly arent quality items. The gearing feels chewy, the silver on the axles is actually painted (!) and not raw. One axle was seized solid but freed up with a little persuasion. Theyll do for what i want, but beware if you want nice quality items. Oh, and also my wheels dont clear the portals so thats brilliant. 

Yeah first thing I noticed was the xtraspeed v3 ar60 where better quality.... But these are fine so far no issues thank christ... 

I can't comment on your specific ones as I'd have to have the in hand... 

Oh and the clearance.... They're designed to run with 2. 2's I think....your running 1.9's I guess... Like myself...? 

Go grab some hex extenders... +12mm out ones will suffice

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Yeah first thing I noticed was the xtraspeed v3 ar60 where better quality.... But these are fine so far no issues thank christ... 

I can't comment on your specific ones as I'd have to have the in hand... 

Oh and the clearance.... They're designed to run with 2. 2's I think....your running 1.9's I guess... Like myself...? 

Go grab some hex extenders... +12mm out ones will suffice

I think theyre going to be fine. Gonna shim them, clean and regrease. Might strip the paint, not sure. The wheels only slightly rub, think im going to shim and relieve the portal covers a bit