• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fishing Boat Build?

CarlC

So recently I decided to try a bit of RC Boating. Being old and slow, I liked the idea of scale/semi scale boats. As I had never built one before I picked up a fairly cheap kit and got this one:

norden1.thumb.jpg.9ccc6fc939ca2050b2b360a0eb7dfbd0.jpg

Today I got a chance to actually have a proper look at it and it seems pretty good. Here is the contents of the kit laid out.

b1.jpg

I am thinking of doing a build thread, I am a newbie to boats so it could be a disaster but hopefully not. Will only do the build thread if people are interested, so if you fancy seeing this build let me know.

Edited by CarlC
  • Like 3

Nice easy wee kit to start with mate :thumbsup:

I did a Billings boats kit the Mary Anne same style as yours years ago which was a plank on frame hull and the parts werent laser cut had to cut them out of the printed wood sheet by hand lol

that should turn out into a very nice little model boat and a build thread would be interesting 🍻

Some progress over the last couple of days. Firstly, I test fitted the deck, just to see how it fitted, coke can for scale.

b2.thumb.jpg.99a1fcb04b9a8a5a2050ded39c0444b0.jpg

Additionally, some of the other bits for the deck have been started and the power plant has been assembled and tested for alignment. I think it may time to think about fitting the tube into the hull, bit scary as I will need to drill the perfectly watertight hull and make holes in it.......

b3.thumb.jpg.e0a84491ea0710f7b8e05ddd7ece72a4.jpg

Still getting my head around working with wood in this way, not sure I fully understand how to get a good finish but will persevere and see what we end up with. Any tips and tricks greatly appreciated 😀 

So a lot more painting and sanding today. Then the scary bit - cutting holes in the hull for the prop shaft and the funny little bit under it. Not sure I have done this bit right, currently its Millputs and epoxy resin holding it in place. Lots of finishing to do including more epoxy to seal in the shaft and bits. Hopefully in the end it will be watertight.

b4.jpg.8140084daf17ae70cfef0f134dfbc50f.jpg

b5.jpg.ed3d8005fbb67240645538a089ac58ff.jpg

And I know the nut holding the prop on isn't done up, it just there so I don't loose it.

Edited by CarlC
  • Like 1

if you havnt already done it fill the prop shaft tube with grease then slide the shaft in with a finger over the hole at other end that helps stop water coming up propshaft 

grease will come out but with a bit finger pressure on end the grease molds around the shaft you can do that after the prop tubes araldited in place 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stormbringer Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I did fill the prop shaft with grease but its been in and out a bit today so will refill it before it sees water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Few more bits built and a test fit of the deck into the hull. I need to work out how to glue the deck into the ABS hull, any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

b8.jpg

araldite or another 2 part epoxy or a contact adhesive or uhu multipurpose anything really that sticks wood to abs plastic without melting it :cheers:

looking really nice now tho mate :good:

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Thanks 1

Well, the rudder tube and prop shaft tube etc are all fitted and everything greased, so I thought I had better give it a brief test to see if my work has affected the integrity of the hull. So I plonked it in the test tank (bath) this morning and it didn't sink!!!! No water coming in so am ready to start thinking about painting the hull......

Bit more progress, all the electrics and linkages have been made up and tested, and the hull has had its first coat of primer, am thinking I may keep the primer as the below the waterline antifoul colour.

b9.jpg.470d7cab89d3e666901f039c3ae802fb.jpg

• Like 1

bit of a disaster today. I masked up the boat for the above waterline colour. Sprayed it and all appeared to go well until I tried to remove the masking tape. Well, the paper part of the tape came off, but it left the glue behind on the hull, tried everything to remove it carefully but nothing worked, so I resorted to ISO Alcohol. Got the glue off but also took off a lot of paint. Oh well, back to square one and this time I'll use decent masking tape (got some 3M vinyl masking tape on the way).

b10.jpg

Edited by CarlC

Well, a slightly better painting day today, not perfect but better. I managed to get a coat of paint onto the hull, not sure the waterline is right (tried the pencil approach and failed due to having 2 left hands), but it will do for this first attempt. It needs a bit more finishing, but am happy with the colour (has a change of mind and went sky blue in the end) and it should finish up okay. The 3M vinyl masking tape was joyous to work with and gave a nice crisp line.

b11.jpg

Edited by CarlC
  • Like 2

Big step forward, all of the electronics are installed and tested, the deck has been fitted and secured and the superstructure fitted (front unit is glued to deck , others are removable. Hull has had some further attention to the paint, still a bit to do but getting there. Quick question, the hull has been sprayed with airbrush acrylic (water based), will it need sealing with a clear coat like Tamiya PS-55 flat clear?

b12.jpg.e3e0544e083990622cdc5dd12e480a94.jpg

• Like 1