• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Using Hub extenders (Hyper ST)

Nickarla

I’m wanting to expand my join with of wheels. I’ve just bought some truggy wheels which look great but are 0 offset.

As they are going on the Hyper ST I knew I was chancing it and unfortunately they hit against the steering rod and A arms.

Firstly does using hex extenders such as this cause issues with additional wear, for example the wheel bearings?

Secondly, does anyone know what size hex extenders would be sufficient? It’s almost impossible to know without trial and error which would get very expensive.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hex extenders do put extra strain on bearings, axles, knuckles etc, but no idea how much, suffice to say I remove the cheapo (15mm i think?) extenders I have on my ECX Ruckus when running off road with Badlands, and only use them now when hooning around on tarmac with semi slick tyres on.  I do have some good quality Associated 17mm extenders that I sometimes use on my Hyper 7, but bear in mind with any Hyper that hasn't had the Hong Nor front knuckle mod, that this is already a weak area, so extra care would be needed or you'll be stripping knuckles as well as busting axles.

Hmm, on balance I’m thinking it’s not worth it.  Also, the Hong Nor knuckle upgrade is great in theory but at £60 is a bit unrealistic.

The problem is that I can’t find any well priced 1/2 inch wheels. I’ve always gone for Absima as they are reasonably priced and pretty good...but even those are beginning to disappear. The Absima website suggests these are only available while stock lasts.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-wheel-set-lp-truggy-street-white-1-8-2-/rc-car-products/438922

Edited by Nickarla

I'm with locky - have run extenders on countless Hyper 7's and ST's over the years.  

Yes more load on the bearing - they're consumables and I swap them before they fail usually - and yes are probably more likely to strip the threads in the cast knuckles on 7's and ST's - I don't run them - either HN cnc knuckles (I can help if you need some for far less spends) or ST Pro ones are a very worthwhile upgrade, extenders or not.

I'm using the cnc ST Pro ones at the moment. I figured if they strip a thread, which they're known to do, I would just invert the screw and use a smal nut threadlocked on. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this but I can't see why this wouldn't be possible.