• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Quantum Flux MT XT & XT Plus *page 9

tomr

7 hours ago, paul_111 said:

Edit: as I can see, there's the same download issue as before at Loboo post. I've notified the forum about it. Perhaps they'll fix it soon. For now just use my direct link: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99lb6yo4vm7ghmb/Archive.zip?dl=1

Thanks Paul. Appreciate you sharing these via dropbox given that the direct links aren't working. Sure they'll come in handy for those with a 3D printer.

17 hours ago, Loboo said:

Latest print attemp - ABS - lion orange 70 percent infill. Looks amazing, but am affraid its still very brittle... 

Will need some redesign and reinforcements. 

Thanks for the update. Surprised that it's still so brittle in ABS.

Still curious to know how much it would cost to print something like that using 70% infill. I'm wondering about the economics of 3d printed parts versus buying the official versions.

19 hours ago, Loboo said:

Its about 70 grams of filament, so equals about 1USD if cheapest ABS is used. Plus indeed energy compsution 120 W for 7 hours. 

Thanks. Not as expensive to print as I thought.

1 hour ago, foxycub said:

Thanks. Not as expensive to print as I thought.

Not if you've got a 3D printer that is! I'm wanting one eventually, but would have to convince the wife haha

At any rate, hello! I'm new and looking at purchasing the Quantum Flux MT. I have a budget of £230 and was quoted £230 for 2 7.4V LiPo 4000mAh batteries, a charger, and battery bag. Good deal (and is that everything I need RTR)?

First RC car for my 9 year old son (his birthday, but probably for the both of us really). Is this better than most other comparable options in the price range (FTX Carnage heard it's quite brittle etc. but parts are cheap, another option would be the Strada, comes with a NiMh battery but could upgrade to LiPo? I was also looking at Traxxas Stampede, but prefer the looks of the Maverick and 4WD compared to 2WD)? Would just be driving around a very large open field. EDIT: Best to go brushless straight away?

Thanks in advance chaps!

Edited by Seminole81

6 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

First RC car for my 9 year old son (his birthday, but probably for the both of us really). Is this better than most other comparable options in the price range (FTX Carnage heard it's quite brittle etc. but parts are cheap, another option would be the Strada, comes with a NiMh battery but could upgrade to LiPo? I was also looking at Traxxas Stampede, but prefer the looks of the Maverick and 4WD compared to 2WD)? Would just be driving around a very large open field. EDIT: Best to go brushless straight away?

Regarding your first question (concerning what you need to run the Quantum Flux), yes, apart from the truck and transmitter you only need to add a battery and charger (plus batteries for the transmitter of course). I would suggest also buying a decent collection of spares though, as even in an open field you'll inevitably break something.

Regarding whether a Quantum Flux is suitable for a 9 year old I'm sure everyone will have a different perspective on this. Personally I think it's fine. I have a 10 and an 8 year old and both have had fun with it (albeit with some breakages along the way). With a 2S Lipo they are fast, but you can always dial down the top speed using the servo end point dial on the transmitter and dial down the acceleration by changing the ESC settings. With those changes it is really easy to drive and less likely to break if it hits a rock/tree/bunny.

I personally think that the Flux offers better value for money than other brushless trucks (excluding cheap offerings from Banggood and Amazon of course). I decided to go with the Flux because it's much cheaper than buying a brushed car and upgrading it in the future with a new ESC and brushless motor. It's also worth remembering that the Flux comes with universal drive shafts for the front wheels and aluminium hub sets that you don't get with the standard Quantum.

Regarding brushless versus brushed.... there are pros and cons. Brushless lasts longer and is marginally quicker, but the difference in speed is only 10-15% I think. Having a sealed motor is definitely a bonus if you will be driving on gravel or in the wet. For a 9 year old brushless might be overkill if anyway you are dialing back the speed, but if you plan on taking it out yourself I'd say it's worth it. That being said there are plenty of folks out there using brushed motors and still having a great time!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Look forward to hearing other opinions. 

Edited by foxycub
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, foxycub said:

Regarding your first question (concerning what you need to run the Quantum Flux), yes, apart from the truck and transmitter you only need to add a battery and charger (plus batteries for the transmitter of course). I would suggest also buying a decent collection of spares though, as even in an open field you'll inevitably break something.

Regarding whether a Quantum Flux is suitable for a 9 year old I'm sure everyone will have a different perspective on this. Personally I think it's fine. I have a 10 and an 8 year old and both have had fun with it (albeit with some breakages along the way). With a 2S Lipo they are fast, but you can always dial down the top speed using the servo end point dial on the transmitter and dial down the acceleration by changing the ESC settings. With those changes it is really easy to drive and less likely to break if it hits a rock/tree/bunny.

I personally think that the Flux offers better value for money than other brushless trucks (excluding cheap offerings from Banggood and Amazon of course). I decided to go with the Flux because it's much cheaper than buying a brushed car and upgrading it in the future with a new ESC and brushless motor. It's also worth remembering that the Flux comes with universal drive shafts for the front wheels and aluminium hub sets that you don't get with the standard Quantum.

Regarding brushless versus brushed.... there are pros and cons. Brushless lasts longer and is marginally quicker, but the difference in speed is only 10-15% I think. Having a sealed motor is definitely a bonus if you will be driving on gravel or in the wet. For a 9 year old brushless might be overkill if anyway you are dialing back the speed, but if you plan on taking it out yourself I'd say it's worth it. That being said there are plenty of folks out there using brushed motors and still having a great time!

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Look forward to hearing other opinions. 

Thank you for your comment!

Yes, I was thinking this and that some spares will be required 100%. I've got a budget of about £230, so I've pretty much decided that it's between the brushless version of the Strada MT and the Flux MT. Like the looks of them both a lot. Price difference is minimal, however I would only be able to get 1 LiPo with the Strada as it comes with a NiMh compared to being able to get 2 with the Flux.

Yep, already read up on how to turn down speed and ESC settings as that's something that will need to be done for both of us, not just him. I did think maybe a cheapo from Banggood or Amazon, but not overly sure on them (heard some horror stories). The Maverick stuff seems to be decent quality at the least.

Thank you for your comment once again. Look forward to hearing others thoughts as well 😊

Edited by Seminole81

@Seminole81id go with a set of arms. And the upgraded drive shafts. And sort the shocks out. They come way to hard. I went with 30wt oil. But you might want a  bit harder. Maybe up to 60wt

I dropped in a blx100 esc to up the speed a bit. As stock one is only 45 amp 

• Thanks 1

@Seminole81 Good choice mate :good:

I've never broken any suspension arms on mine, and it gets bashed pretty hard. So not sure what the big fuss about them breaking is 🤔 Seems like it's mainly coming from people who don't actually own one and have maybe just seen people on YouTube break them. 

What you will need though is HD axles, because these do bend really easily. Also, as said above, HD drive shafts are a good idea too 👍

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, James RC said:

@Seminole81 Good choice mate :good:

I've never broken any suspension arms on mine, and it gets bashed pretty hard. So not sure what the big fuss about them breaking is 🤔 Seems like it's mainly coming from people who don't actually own one and have maybe just seen people on YouTube break them. 

What you will need though is HD axles, because these do bend really easily. Also, as said above, HD drive shafts are a good idea too 👍

Yes, there's a saying I've heard from when I had a Subaru Impreza STi. Everyone always goes onto the internet to complain about how bad their car is running/something that went wrong. Never on to mention how good it is.

Am I right in thinking these are the drive shafts and axles together? Maverick Quantum HD Universal Drive Shafts (2) MV150231 (modelsport.co.uk)

10 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Am I right in thinking these are the drive shafts and axles together? Maverick Quantum HD Universal Drive Shafts (2) MV150231 (modelsport.co.uk)

Yes buddy those are the ones 👍

11 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Yes, there's a saying I've heard from when I had a Subaru Impreza STi. Everyone always goes onto the internet to complain about how bad their car is running/something that went wrong. Never on to mention how good it is.

Haha, yes, very true mate. There seems to be alot of that on this forum 😋

The car is a brilliant car. Must be one of my favourite 10th scale I have had. From chatting to people with them. The axles are the first to go.  Then it's arms.   The stock ones on then aren't the best. And I believe there is a mark 2 that's improved. And an aftermarket set available that's ment to be better. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hell horn. said:

The stock ones on then aren't the best. And I believe there is a mark 2 that's improved. And an aftermarket set available that's ment to be better. 

This makes me think that my Quantum must have the improved mk2 arms as they seem to be holding up really well.

Another thing I forgot to mention to you @Seminole81 is the turnbuckle rod ends. It may be worth getting a full set of them aswell. Though I only broke a rod end on mine after a huge jump and many many cartwheels down a hillside, so if your son doesn't bash it too hard then they'll most likely be fine.

• Like 1

It might be as much to luck as anything on the arms. 

I have a 3s charging up so I can get a bit of a bash after lunch. Can't go out for long still.  But things are slowly getting better.  Will grab my little ramp and have some fun.

Got an ms order for the upgrade drive shafts. A few spare parts just in case and a 15t pinion.  Should make it a bit more lively 

31 minutes ago, James RC said:

This makes me think that my Quantum must have the improved mk2 arms as they seem to be holding up really well.

Another thing I forgot to mention to you @Seminole81 is the turnbuckle rod ends. It may be worth getting a full set of them aswell. Though I only broke a rod end on mine after a huge jump and many many cartwheels down a hillside, so if your son doesn't bash it too hard then they'll most likely be fine.

Haha yeah, I saw you snapped a st a few pages ago. Don't plan on doing any jumps straight away and it's literally juts a massive field so no hills so hopefully not many cartwheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James RC said:

So not sure what the big fuss about them breaking is 🤔 Seems like it's mainly coming from people who don't actually own one and have maybe just seen people on YouTube break them. 

Can't agree with you on this James. You've obviously been very lucky if you've been driving rough and haven't broken an arm yet, but that's not my experience (having broken three) and it's not the experience of many other people out there who've had suspension arms that break easily. Great that you haven't had this problem but I think it's unfair to say that all the people who are complaining don't own one. The photos they've posted to this forum suggest otherwise.

Even Maverick themselves clearly acknowledged that there was a design issue with the original arms - that's why they've released a modified design.

Just to be clear though, just because there are some weaknesses here and there doesn't make it a bad truck to own. I still love it and would definitely buy one again. Just something to bear in mind when planning what spares to buy... that's all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hell horn. said:

@Seminole81id go with a set of arms. And the upgraded drive shafts. And sort the shocks out. They come way to hard. I went with 30wt oil. But you might want a  bit harder. Maybe up to 60wt

Agree with this. In terms of spares I'd get the upgraded shafts (or at the very least some spare axles), a set of arms (or two, just to be on the safe side), some replacement oil and a set of replacement shock rods (as they bend when the arms break and can't always be bent back).  

I'd also get a spare wheel hex set and spare lock nuts for the wheels. If you run the stock axles and one breaks you can easily lose the wheel hex and lock nut when it flies off.

You can buy cnc-machined HD suspension arms from Metsafil (made in Portugal). I haven't had any issues since fitting them but haven't really tested them properly either.

You also might want to get a spare servo arm saver in case it hits a rock/tree bunny at full speed!

Think that's it. 

Edited by foxycub

@foxycub Fair comment mate 👍

But as I stated a few posts above I believe that I have the newer versions on my Quantum. And it seems the improvements that Maverick have made to the arms have had quite the effect. I reckon most of the broken ones you've seen will be the original weaker arms, but anyone who orders a Quantum now will get the better ones.

Just now, James RC said:

@foxycub Fair comment mate 👍

But as I stated a few posts above I believe that I have the newer versions on my Quantum. And it seems the improvements that Maverick have made to the arms have had quite the effect. I reckon most of the broken ones you've seen will be the original weaker arms, but anyone who orders a Quantum now will get the better ones.

Yes - think you are right about that. Hope the improved arms will solve this.

I also saw in a video somewhere online that some Fluxes have been shipping with the HD axles as standard. Don't know if that's true or not and don't remember where I saw it.

Same with every car made. It has its week spots. Things will break. But Make every part to strong and your car is going to die in the first good crash.  If we know with bits are the bits go first.  We can have spares and keep having fun.  I'd rather have a set of arms fail then snap a chassis or something when I crash