• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Quantum Flux MT XT & XT Plus *page 9

tomr

Hi guys

Got one delivered the other day, have had it out 2ce for a grand total of less than 15 min. First run the servo horn came off coz the screw wasn't tightened had to get in and fix that. Then when testing that fix in the carpark the rear right axle snapped off mid turn.  This was on flat tarmac it hasn't even had anything other than road runs up n down the car park.

I'm very let down by this reading through I see a few of you have had this issue. For me it was light driving it hasn't jumped crashed nothing. 

Also doesn seem like there's any replacements floating around now all out of stock. I feel totally mis sold by the listing of it on hpi website and UK retailers. "Rugged" "tough" "offroad" bit of a lie when turning on tarmac is enough to snap a wheel off!  I was also just using a 7.2v nimh so not exactly max power either.

Anyway sorry to come in and rant on first post but I'm pretty gutted right now ! I know its in the cheaper range but I really thought key things like steering and wheels would have been able to withstand a testing session on tarmac without any rough play. I spent my Xmas bonus on this too

My sons 1/12 brushed "gostock" on a 2s lipo has lasted longer that cost me 80! Like half price...

I had read up on the truck but nothing suggested it was so weak which is a shame for 5 minutes I was thinking what a great truck plenty of acceleration and decent speed with the nimh pack grip was alright but suspension is obviously more stiff than it should be then boom the wheel flies off like a damn herbie movie.

Anyway if someone has a link to a set of replacement axles in stock somewhere I'd be grateful if you shared it!

• Sad 1

i'm pretty sure if you contact maverick or hpi, they might replace it for you. The is quite and active owners thread here and they do break as any rc does, but they seem to hold up quite well. Hopefully you just got unlucky this time. 

• Like 1

Yeah I hope that's the case just bad luck.

Wheelspin asked for pics and part numbers said they'll talk to maverick team for me so heres hoping they send out a couple replacement axles.

I took a look at the others and don't see any similar marks or signs of problems so I'm hoping this was just a defect in the metal of this single part if so then I should be fine until I break it the usual way! That I don't mind its when they break without cause that bugs me

Thanks though jumper aside from this it did seem like a great car so hopefully once I get some decent axles installed I can maybe try it on something other than tarmac hahaha

• Like 2

On 26/01/2021 at 21:05, AWOL said:

Wheelspin asked for pics and part numbers said they'll talk to maverick team for me so heres hoping they send out a couple replacement axles.

I had a slightly different issue in that my truck arrived with stripped threads on a couple of axels, and the wheels were on unbelievably tight!

Clearly someone at the factory had the torque setting too high, ModelSport were awesome in sorting out warranty replacements so I highly recommend using them for future RC.

Good luck 

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

ahh prob not a timer then lol so prob for a 3rd channel tho the car may only use 2 but rx might have a spare port

seems like, receiver says 3ch so most probably it is control for this channel. Thx for confirmation.

Hi Guys, I have just done first ride with brand new Quantum Flux. Pretty good must say. The only thing I spotted (maybe some ESC/receiver issue) is that the car becomes irresponsible for few seconds time to time }]. It happen to me three- or four-times that when coasting (going slowly, 0% brake) steering remains in last position and car slowly stops and it doesn't respond to throttle or steering. It wakes up after few second and goes normally again. What is worse that it once completely swapped the steering (full left on the transmitter and car suddenly went full right) I guess again when coasting so nothing happened luckily. Battery is brand new HV Stock LRP Graphene-4 7.6V 135C, it was charged to 8.4V only and it had about 7.6V when I came back home so this should not be the problem.

Has anyone experienced something similar? With Quantum Flux or other RC? Not sure where to start investigating...

OK, I found out, that tis could be an antenna issue (although sudden swapped steering is kind of mystery for me) as I cut the antenna as suggested in video. I didn't realize that removing insulation and exposing antenna wire is necessary. Unfortunately, I have trashed the remaining piece so I can't measure the proper length. Could anybody measure the original antenna length (the exposed part)?

I guess the antenna should be as vertical as possible as well. Am I right? It should be as shosrt as possible then...

Recently bought two Quantum Fluxes (one MT and one XT). Went over them both before taking them out for the first time (there's a great video on YouTube from a model shop in Oz that tells you what you need to check). Also swapped out one of the two washers for a larger one (as others have mentioned).

I've got to say that I'm not at all impressed with the durability of these cars so far. The plastic parts might as well be made of cheese. On the first run one of the suspension arms broke. On the second run another suspension arm broke, as did one of the rear turnbuckles (which snapped in the rod end, so that also needs to be changed). On the third run one of the axles snapped. The snapped axle means I also lost the washers, flange nut and wheel hex hub (as they flew off somewhere). Haven't been doing any crazy jumps or anything. The damage on the second run was the result of a rather gentle (in my opinion) cartwheel. Meanwhile the snapped axle happened driving on tarmac with no impacts. I'd even checked the axles before taking it out and they weren't bent, it's like it just spontaneously snapped at the hole where the pin passes through. Can't help feeling that some of the parts are under-engineered and/or poorly manufactured. The weak seam on the suspension arm is a case in point... that part could easily have been designed to be much, much stronger (although  I get the point that making one part stronger just means you are more likely to break something else).

Anyway, currently using the parts from one car to keep the other running whilst I wait for spares to become available. Not sure I'll have it running for long given the rate at which the parts are breaking. In the meantime, if anyone knows of any aftermarket turnbuckles made by other manufacturers that also happen to fit the Quantum it would be good to know.

Incidentally, has anyone tried boiling their components to toughen them up? I remember reading an article a while back that you can make nylon parts tougher by boiling them for a couple of minutes. Be interesting to know if it's worth doing.

Also, has anyone tried the HD suspension arm set and/or the rear turnbuckle set made by Metsafil? Part numbers are  MT150122 and MT150124. Pictures are attached. I don't think I've seen them mentioned here yet but if I'm repeating a previous post then apologies.

suspension-arm-set-quantum.jpg

rear-turnbuckle-set.jpg

• Thanks 1

Afternoon guys. Got this delivered yesterday for me to play with.   Wanted something cheap to bash with while I'm getting better.  This seamed like a good car for the price.   So hopefully I can get it out soon and some fun  . 

IMG_20210210_093917.jpg

So I've just ordered the Metsafil HD suspension arm and rear turnbuckle, plus a set of Maverick-made HD axle shafts and HD universal drive shafts. I plan to put them on the XT Flux with the MT running stock parts. I'll let you know how I get on and whether it's worth it! 

Hi Newbie question, just moved up to one of these from an old brushed rc car. 

Couple of newbie questions?

1. Should fan come on as soon as you switch on and stay on?

2. What is the flashing red light for in the car?

3. Should you hear a beep type noise when you apply the throttle?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2 hours ago, supered said:

Hi Newbie question, just moved up to one of these from an old brushed rc car. 

Couple of newbie questions?

1. Should fan come on as soon as you switch on and stay on?

2. What is the flashing red light for in the car?

3. Should you hear a beep type noise when you apply the throttle?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1. Yes.

2. Guess it's just the ESC telling you it's working. If you haven't done so already, it's worth reading the ESC manual which you can download from the Maverick website.

3. Yes, a buzzing/beeping noise is perfectly normal. 

• Thanks 1