• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

1 hour ago, Microspeed said:

It was loose!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thread lock that sucker 👊

Might as well do any others that you can get at whilst you’re on 

Pleased we got to the bottom of it, in general these DR8’s are pretty solid I was surprised when you first thought the diff had gone .

Edited by tomr

Apart from some wear on the shafts the diff is fine, I'll give the car a good clean and then check all the nuts, bolts and grub screws and order some thread lock 🙂

Thanks again for all your help, it' been interesting and I've learned along the way, and it's potentially fixed, so win win for me!

Has anyone pushed the limits with a 4274/2000kv/6s on a 20+t pinion? 

We have a half mile field which allows some good speed runs, so I'm keen to stretch it out, 12t is fast, 15t I don't think I have had that working right since i installed it, so i will try that first before I try the 17T i already have.

Will report back once fixed and I think I will lock the diff, will raid the earplug drawer tomorrow 🙂

13 minutes ago, Microspeed said:

Apart from some wear on the shafts the diff is fine, I'll give the car a good clean and then check all the nuts, bolts and grub screws and order some thread lock 🙂

Thanks again for all your help, it' been interesting and I've learned along the way, and it's potentially fixed, so win win for me!

Has anyone pushed the limits with a 4274/2000kv/6s on a 20+t pinion? 

We have a half mile field which allows some good speed runs, so I'm keen to stretch it out, 12t is fast, 15t I don't think I have had that working right since i installed it, so i will try that first before I try the 17T i already have.

Will report back once fixed and I think I will lock the diff, will raid the earplug drawer tomorrow 🙂

You’re very welcome 👍

DR8 on 6s with a 20t pinion .....flux capacitor and 88mph spring to mind 😁

• Haha 1

I’ll get a vid when we go over at the weekend, it’s actually already scary fast and I doubt it’s ran right since I got it, always seemed to have way more front end, only really realised after the outlaw broke the drive shaft and I saw what FWD does to off-road tires when they get all the power.

I used a dollatek set from Amazon, 13 to 17t and they do a 18 to 22t set also. Works fine!!

I just picked up another 1/8 rolling chassis, time for a massive motor, massive esc and more fun!!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Started tidying up the cabling with some braid. Lighting done, esc next. No real reason other than it will look cool when finished.

20220106_162843.jpg

• Like 1

Look at that!!

fubar, doubt it’s ever been fitted right!!

Can’t find another one in my spares, so I’ll have to order some more and some thread lock.

image.jpg

The stub doesn't fully go in and the grub screw is only ever going to get half the shaft, so maybe something isn't right.

Should the bearing on the rear diff fall out easy?    it's loose and even pushed in, that is stopping the cup going over more than about 5mm, so i wonder if the bearing needs to go in further?

You can see the bearing and the short stub in the pic above, does that look right?  does your cups fully insert onto the stub?  or same as mine?

and i locked the centre diff while it was out, see how that feels.

Edited by Microspeed

On 06/01/2022 at 19:02, Microspeed said:

The stub doesn't fully go in and the grub screw is only ever going to get half the shaft, so maybe something isn't right.

Should the bearing on the rear diff fall out easy?    it's loose and even pushed in, that is stopping the cup going over more than about 5mm, so i wonder if the bearing needs to go in further?

You can see the bearing and the short stub in the pic above, does that look right?  does your cups fully insert onto the stub?  or same as mine?

and i locked the centre diff while it was out, see how that feels.

The bearing should be in flush to the case then the cup up against it like in my Previous pic 

Afternoon,

I took the bearing out, cleaned it and the hole it came from and refitted using a few taps of a hammer to get it flush, refitted and that's sorted it right out, loads more shaft to grab onto!

Batteries are on charge, time for a bash.

I've fixed the outlaw ( common phrase it seems ) and that now has ali arms, ali front and rear front arm holders, front ARB and a steel driveshaft, lets see what else breaks next, lol

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated!

• Like 1

Hit my first issue with the DR8..don't laugh...can't get the wheel off 😔

The nut is off but the wheel is stuck, no matter what I do I can't get the damn thing off.  Any tricks when this happens? It's hammer time soon but really don't want to break anything.

• Haha 1

When you try to unscrew it is the hex spinning in the wheel ?

If it is you could try putting a flat bladed screwdriver into the slot of the wheel drive cup and then try unscrewing the nut 

It's all off now, thanks, perseverance and a flat head.  I think some muck got in there causing the problem - it was a pretty muddy bash today.

It was either muck around the hex or shaft, hard to tell now its all apart. Muck everywhere to be honest 😀 An evening of cleaning yay.

• Haha 1