• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My biggest regret

Danzzz88

Oh my days I hate the Baja platform, I've not even finished building it and it makes me sick the amount I have spent on it already, everything Turtle racing, FLM, RcMax engine ect ect. Whoever designed this car was a complete moron. Granted I'm using mostly after market parts bit the crap design and way in which you have to undo like 20 bolts or remove parts you have already assembled just to fit the next part because the tolerances are all over the show and the design is awkward to work on is beyond a joke.. There literally hasn't been a single part I have not had issues fitting for one readon or another. Take for the example the rear top plate, I just go and spend £60 on some RCR brakes for two discs of steel and some diddy bits of copper which is a joke in itself and then get to the stage I want to mount the tranny plate. Oh no I can't because the bloody turtle top plate won't squeeze in when the rear tower braces are in place, ok I'l have to unscrew that and nudge it out the way a little. Next now it's out the way the friggin plate still doesn't fit, it's lining up with everything but the notch on the transmission housing so I can't clip it into place. I have noticed nothing but issues like this thtough the entire build, I don't know if it stems from my Modified RC chassis plate having rubbish tolerances (yes binding in the a A arms and fiddling around with 10 screws to get it lined up n all that). Half the partd are made with like 100th of a mm of tolerance and so when things are off nothing lines up or will clip into place, so you resort to dismantling half of what you have built to try rectify it, this combined with the ridiculoys cost and trying to fiddle like this with something weighing nearly 20kg is the worst decision I have ever made. If I could sell it at 85% completion I would, I don't want to dismantle the crap again into 100 parts and try and sell them individually on Ebay, I wanted to get it built and have fun with it but it's literally the worst rc and investment I have ever made. Wish I bought an MCD, if it's anything like my XRAY XB8 that car is utter perfection in build quality and fitment. Sorry I needed to let off some steam. Rant over lol.

So it seems the Turtle top plate does not mate to the Turtle transmission case, the tolerances are off. It's funny how all the expensive American hop ups I have bought have all had fitment issues.  The chinese parts I have bought or RcMax engine are spot on precise. So now I'm left with nearly £200 of tranny case, top plate and one piece brake mount that doean't bloody fit all made by the same manufacturer Turtle racing, incredible 

I took a hammer to it literally , it fits now 😂 But my days this car is a pain to work on. I've been using light threadlock on alloy parts hoping it won't rattle itself to bits, but I'm stripping heads left right and centre when I'm having to undo bits I've already built because I haven't undone them in so long.

• 3 months later...