• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja 5b

NigelJackson

3 hours ago, NigelJackson said:

I will start by ordering a new transmitter just in case mine has a fail safe on it so why do you need to add a cut out switch ?

So the transmitter has an inbuilt failsafe.... This only protects you under certain conditions.  If the transmitter gets turned off, or if the batteries in it die, the inbuilt failsafe kicks in. which is set manually, so it could apply the brakes.

However, if we look at the model. If the throttle servo breaks while at wide open throttle (WOT) the transmitters failsafe wont work, as the servo won't budge. Same applies to if the battery disconnects, or the throttle linkage jams open, this is called a runaway.

If you are going full throttle, and the battery disconnects, the model will keep it's last known input, which is full throttle.

A killswitch will stop the model under all conditions. What ever happens, either the killswitch, or the user can kill the engine safely and quickly to limit any problems.

They can be a pain to setup, but they can prevent damage to the model, or worse, injury to a person.

I reckon the trnamitter is okay, I'd put money on the receiver or battery in the model.

52 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

So the transmitter has an inbuilt failsafe.... This only protects you under certain conditions.  If the transmitter gets turned off, or if the batteries in it die, the inbuilt failsafe kicks in. which is set manually, so it could apply the brakes.

However, if we look at the model. If the throttle servo breaks while at wide open throttle (WOT) the transmitters failsafe wont work, as the servo won't budge. Same applies to if the battery disconnects, or the throttle linkage jams open, this is called a runaway.

If you are going full throttle, and the battery disconnects, the model will keep it's last known input, which is full throttle.

A killswitch will stop the model under all conditions. What ever happens, either the killswitch, or the user can kill the engine safely and quickly to limit any problems.

They can be a pain to setup, but they can prevent damage to the model, or worse, injury to a person.

I reckon the trnamitter is okay, I'd put money on the receiver or battery in the model.

Thank you for the info I will leave the kill switch on 😁 I will try the receiver first for the price it's worth keeping for a spare anyway I have already spent over 200 on alloy upgrades don't tell the wife lol

A Rx that's gotten wet can sometimes suffer moderate damage as opposed to total failure. This can be a reduced range of operation, definitely worth trying just a new Rx first.