• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Servo/ESC bec voltage

22ndsas

Hi all.

I have purchased a new Bully 2 RTR, the manual says it has the Outcry lll ESC. I am swapping out the stock servo for a Hitec HS-7955TG and adding a CC 10A BEC.

The Hitec specs say 4.8-6.0v am i safe programming the bec for 7.4v if i programme 6.0v will this be a big improvement over stock servo? Also is 7.4v safe for the stock ESC?

If it has any bearing on the issue i am running 3 cell Lipo's. I understand i must disconect the red wire on the ESC.

Thx Paul.

If your new servo specifies 4.8-6.0v then I think you'll be pushing it at 7.4v. You may be better off finding a servo with stronger torque at 6v or maybe look at high-voltage servos which are designed to take 7.4v+

3 hours ago, J.K said:

If your new servo specifies 4.8-6.0v then I think you'll be pushing it at 7.4v. You may be better off finding a servo with stronger torque at 6v or maybe look at high-voltage servos which are designed to take 7.4v+

I've already purchased the servo so that's not an option but thx for info 

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

I personally wouldn't take a servo past it's max rated / advertised voltage, especially an expensive one like that.

The Outcry specs on that front;  (do you need an external BEC for the combo?)

• BEC Output Voltage-Current: 6V-3A

I'm sure I read this servo can easily operate on 7.4v that came from the manufacturer hitec. Also I've already cut the red wire on the ESC so I'm committed. Having that extra reserved power via the ext BEC is always going to be a bonus I suppose. 

Edited by 22ndsas

1 hour ago, 22ndsas said:

I'm sure I read this servo can easily operate on 7.4v that came from the manufacturer hitec.

All servos CAN operate above their max rated voltage but you'll almost certainly shorten it's lifespan. Basically, it'll work but you won't know how long for.

It's an expensive servo to fry in any case!

• Like 1

Great news on the Bully 2 ! Be sure to post some pics in our piccy sticky at the top  👍.

Just checked the specs on that servo and you won't wanna go above 6.0v on it I'm afraid. I do overvolt cheaper or older servos sometimes but wouldn't recommend risking it on an expensive unit. 'IF' you were to then I'd say no higher than 6.4 from my experience, but remember you're risking it.

Personally I run a few HS7950's which are rated to 7.4v / 3kg/cm. I do have a really old one that I've ran at 8.0v for some time and been fine but run my new ones at 7.4v. 

As to the Bully's regular servo, if its their "twister" unit then it's definitely poop and anything will be an upgrade - so yes you will feel the difference even going through the esc BEC. So unless you are thinking of sending back the 7955 I'd say swap it out, try it, and then if you need more install the BEC, and if you still need more then get a more powerful high volt servo...

Where are you based by way? Few of us going up to Black Rock in Matlock tomorrow.. Else I'm based round Oxfordshire...

On 29/08/2020 at 21:56, stimpy said:

Great news on the Bully 2 ! Be sure to post some pics in our piccy sticky at the top  👍.

Just checked the specs on that servo and you won't wanna go above 6.0v on it I'm afraid. I do overvolt cheaper or older servos sometimes but wouldn't recommend risking it on an expensive unit. 'IF' you were to then I'd say no higher than 6.4 from my experience, but remember you're risking it.

Personally I run a few HS7950's which are rated to 7.4v / 3kg/cm. I do have a really old one that I've ran at 8.0v for some time and been fine but run my new ones at 7.4v. 

As to the Bully's regular servo, if its their "twister" unit then it's definitely poop and anything will be an upgrade - so yes you will feel the difference even going through the esc BEC. So unless you are thinking of sending back the 7955 I'd say swap it out, try it, and then if you need more install the BEC, and if you still need more then get a more powerful high volt servo...

Where are you based by way? Few of us going up to Black Rock in Matlock tomorrow.. Else I'm based round Oxfordshire...

Well I've installed the 7955 at 6.0v on the  Bec. The servo turned to the left and started smoking and got real hot. The stock servo tested working so I guess I didn't center the servo before installing. Expensive lesson learned. I have just read in the instructions Overload protection is Off!! by default why?? . I guess this would of cut out the servo. The programmer is expensive so I have a new 7955 coming and will be centering the horn off the machine this time. 

I am in Rochdale but it will be a while b4 I'm up and running as I'm waiting on some motors coming from USA but when I'm sorted I will post pics and perhaps meet up with u all. 

Edited by 22ndsas

Oh dear what a buggeron the servo. Hopefully you managed to blag a warranty replacement... And yes, take servo horn off set TX trims to 0 then turn on - servo will find centre, turn off, then put servo horn back on and adjust any slight angle issues with trim👍

My missus was from Rochdale originally, her dad lives in Littleborough now.

The Bully pin tyres got a bad rep when they were first released but of late folk have been using them again - mainly in Europe apparently. One of the best, if not the best drivers out there Samu Sarkka is RC4WD sponsored and running a pretty much stock rig and winning with it - I think that helped the brand a lot. He has some set up videos for the truck also - bit slow but the facts are there... As to the tyres , I trimmed some pins off my fronts but if I'm honest I've yet to actually try them as I put the foams elsewhere...

Rovers - you basically cut off all the side knobs then sand paper them back so the sides are smooth. I have a set I started on and need to finish actually, if /wehn I get round to them I can post some pics..

56 minutes ago, stimpy said:

No worries... Did you actually ever run it stock ( it was a rtf right?)? Which motors did you order in the end?

Only ran it briefly inside the house never outside. But I'm aware of its capabilities. Yes it's RTR in hindsight was probably wiser to get the kit but suppose I will have nice spare parts incase of breakdowns. I've ordered two Torquemaster Pro 540 35T's in hoping they drop straight in without issue though Holmes Hobbies where they coming from I'm sure they will configure them for the Bully as I told them they are going on a Bully. 

Cool man, and yes one will be reverse rotation. So you went for a torquey motor 👍. I run his Crawlmaster versions in a few rigs, my MOA has some old Team Brood motors in - but may be swapping them out shortly...

For reference there is a UK importer of Holmes products - Read Winches, don't often have full stock mind but do tend to keep the budget and medium range. 

14 hours ago, stimpy said:

Cool man, and yes one will be reverse rotation. So you went for a torquey motor 👍. I run his Crawlmaster versions in a few rigs, my MOA has some old Team Brood motors in - but may be swapping them out shortly...

For reference there is a UK importer of Holmes products - Read Winches, don't often have full stock mind but do tend to keep the budget and medium range. 

Red Winches, https://www.red-winches.com/product-category/holmes-hobbies/

Nice and local (to me!)