• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Decals - how do you do them?

oodboo

Decals have recently became something I enjoy doing. Used to hate it, use to rush it, never looked good.

Kit list:

Scalpel

Cutting mat

Magnifying glasses

Tweezers

Dish of soapy water

Tissue - kitchen towel

Cotton buds

Heat gun

Process:

I use the magnifying glasses while cutting out the decals with the scalpel. I usual just cut out the one I'm about to do it if there's a few parts to one thing (like window frames) then I might cut them all out.

Using tweezers I peel the decal off the backing sheet and place it in the soapy water then position it on the body.

Next is the tricky bit, using tissue or cotton buds, I press the decal in place forcing the water out from under it. Tricky because the decal can move around at this point and the more water you get out the stickier it gets.

Once I'm happy with the position and it's mostly dry I'll use the heart gun to warm the decal then push it down into the crevices or flatten over curves. Usually your placing a 2d decal on a 3d surface so the heat allows it to take the form of what is being applied to. For me the heat gun is now an essential for decals.

Here's a body I've just finished using this process.

IMG_20200804_211332.thumb.jpg.7351653af64914ffe6750134abd84b1c.jpg

IMG_20200804_211413.thumb.jpg.c1c6d4bcdb9b2113584cd8758ba8818d.jpg

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, I'm happy with what I've managed but there are a few little mistakes, small enough to live with.

What's your process/top tips for decals?

• Like 1

I think you have it pretty much nailed. I've learned some tricks here.  I'm usually half cut slap it on i do the water thing but now ill add a dash of soap since I never get it to slide around much. I think it will be better to be able to slide it into place then pin it. Thanks. The car looks great windows look awesome. 

I remember trying to apply the decals on the Tamiya Mercedes-Benz 190E EVO II AMG body shell.  Multiple curved surfaces and graphics that must align from different surfaces.  At the time I really wondered if it was even possible to do it properly!

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

When you say soap do you mean hand soap or washing up liquid ?

I use a plate, squirt a bit washing up liquid in, add a bit water and swirl it with my finger to get some bubbles. Don't be shy with the washing up liquid though, too little and is not much use. The wife buys that ecover stuff so I just use that.

• Like 1