• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What to buy for my 8 year old?

BatForcePC

Hi,

My first post so firstly hello!

It's my son's birthday in a couple of weeks and he really wants another RC Electric Car. Last year he had an Absima Hurricane which he has grown out of and totally destroyed...

My budget is £150 ish - for everything inc. controller and I've been looking at the Absima AB3.4 1:10 EP Buggy 4WD RTR from modelsport. He's pretty good with a controller but I am a little concerned it might be a bit fast for him and therefore will find the trunk of a tree pretty quickly! 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance!

If you can build kits what about a Tamiya Grasshopper there not fast similar speed to the Hurricane but its 1/10 scale as opposed to 1/18 

it comes with the esc so you would need a transmitter receiver servo for steering and a nihm battery 

we run ours on 4 or 5000mah nihms for hours on end 

if you pick carefully it could be got about your budget 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-grasshopper/rc-car-products/23142

• Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 17:51, Stormbringer said:

If you can build kits what about a Tamiya Grasshopper there not fast similar speed to the Hurricane but its 1/10 scale as opposed to 1/18 

it comes with the esc so you would need a transmitter receiver servo for steering and a nihm battery 

we run ours on 4 or 5000mah nihms for hours on end 

if you pick carefully it could be got about your budget 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-grasshopper/rc-car-products/23142

much as i hate to dispute dad, the hopper is slower than the hurri but every thing else he said is spot on, i can run my hopper in the rough garden for about 2 hours before i get bored on a 4000mah or 5000mah with the stock 380 motor.

it can also be easily upgraded to a much faster 540 motor   :)

edit: i would stay away from a lot of ftx ones  it is a mine field if any thing is decent the quality control and standards are all over the place.

i hear good things about the ftx carnage but a bit weak etc but my ftx surge is horrible breaks a lot if i so much as look at it....

the maverick suggestion is good for a ready to run  :)

i had shots of my dads grasshopper about the same age and i never crashed it  :P

Edited by Yrkoon