• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best 1/5th scale

fnknan

Been delving into the 5th scale market tryna see what's out there. Been running with a lot of em recently and my 8th scales just get bullied frankly.

Looking for a 2wd buggy but I'm not sure what's the best for the price. Rovan Baja is cheap as doodoo but idk if the car is doodoo or not. Would probably buy second hand.

Looking to spend max £600. 

Any ideas?

Edited by fnknan

I heard those were pretty good but I'm only really interested in 2wd. I say that because the guys down at the bash spot said that 4wd gets expensive with all the extra moving parts that could need replacing. So a 2wd could be better for me and my strict budget. Idk tho. 

all depends what you want it for and what surface its on, if its a grassy field then 4wd is much better, although 2wd is good fun.

Ive got a losi 5T and a baja, so i love the rugged go anywhere losi, 4 wd monster, and the baja which is ace fun drifting the back end out, i think there's  a little more skill in getting the throttle right as too much and it goes round and round. The 4wd much safer and planted.

Saying that though if you look at some of the monster ones on here with 12 S, All down to personnel choice my friend. 

The spares cost debate depends how daft you are, most of the buggies, trucks etc are pretty well built these days, but if you drive anything into a lamppost at 30 mph then most things will break !!

Good luck

32 minutes ago, kangarilla said:

all depends what you want it for and what surface its on, if its a grassy field then 4wd is much better, although 2wd is good fun.

Ive got a losi 5T and a baja, so i love the rugged go anywhere losi, 4 wd monster, and the baja which is ace fun drifting the back end out, i think there's  a little more skill in getting the throttle right as too much and it goes round and round. The 4wd much safer and planted.

Saying that though if you look at some of the monster ones on here with 12 S, All down to personnel choice my friend. 

The spares cost debate depends how daft you are, most of the buggies, trucks etc are pretty well built these days, but if you drive anything into a lamppost at 30 mph then most things will break !!

Good luck

Yeah I heard that the 2wds are more challenging but you can slide the back end out and hold a drift unlike with 1/10 2wd where it's so twitchy that you need a gyro to drift. Will spend most of the time running on short grass and dirt. Im only really interested in petrol as electric is out of the budget and doesn't make nearly as much sense at this scale.

When I was out with the 5th scale lads yesterday it seemed everything was breaking so I wanted something that wouldn't be stupidly expensive to fix.

As your title goes imo losi would be the best then 30 DNT.  Plenty of these about and a lot of them do get converted into 2wd hybrids. 

Edited by Mack1
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fnknan said:

When I was out with the 5th scale lads yesterday it seemed everything was breaking so I wanted something that wouldn't be stupidly expensive to fix.

You'll take a bit of a gamble with either a Baja or a 5ive clone. The clone parts tend to wear faster, in some cases not so much in other cases dramatically and the quality of the engines and clutch can be terrible. However, the Kmx2 and the 30DNT are fairly robust, it takes effort to break them. Parts for both are fairly cheap too. 

7 hours ago, Shem said:

You my be right they no cheap to maintain, like  all 1/5   

They aren't all expensive to maintain though. A KMx2/30DNT, engine aside is fairly cheap to maintain. Parts are a fraction of what genuine MCD or Losi parts cost. MCDs are however notoriously expensive and also quite fragile. Perfect track cars though,as long as the jumps are tame.