• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can I modify/upgrade this?

ItsRich_RC

Hi all,

so my daughter wanted an rc car for her birthday. She’s 7 so I just bought a cheap one off eBay for her first car. As I’m someone who likes to swap things around are you able to modify something like this? It’s a 1/10 scale car. I tried to take the motor housing apart but it looks like the motor is stuck in there with a fairly long pinion gear on it. 

I fancied putting a servo on, proper esc, better transmitter with some steering trim as it doesn’t drive straight as it is. Maybe even change wheels and tyres. Can it be done? Or am I wasting money and time? I’m still very much an rc noob. 

thanks. 

E6AF64D8-21AA-4C90-B0D9-E25BF71E50D6.jpeg

815CA4E3-7A7B-4DBA-B7FE-01E717F470AE.jpeg

F93099A8-4757-4D37-8C46-0D3D66EAB11B.jpeg

In RC to put it simply there is "hobby grade" and "toy grade", ...what you have there is a "toy grade" RC. 

It's literally not designed to be repaired, modified etc. It's more of a disposable toy. 

Personally I'd let her enjoy that as it is.

If she likes it then for Christmas get her something a little better like a Tamiya Grasshopper, TT02 or something similar that you can upgrade etc over time to make it better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ItsRich_RC said:

Thanks for the comments

You're welcome and I hope they were taken in the way they were intended, ...no offence intended and trying to be helpful. 

I'm sure she'll enjoy the car. 

I know I still remember some of the first "toy grade" RC's that my parents bought me as a child and probably part of the reason I still love the hobby now. 👍 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GMballistic said:

You're welcome and I hope they were taken in the way they were intended, ...no offence intended and trying to be helpful. 

I know I still remember some of the first "toy grade" RC's that my parents bought me as a child and probably part of the reason I still love the hobby now. 👍 

I think most of us started with the toy grade cars then moved onto the hobby grade after 🍻

• Like 1

I usually start with a rolling chassis and slowly build it into something I would use but also try to make it as girly as possible for the girls. The two rcs my oldest daughter has so far are awesome they've cost a fair chunk but they was built over a year atleast using used parts where I could what's good is since there cars most would use if we sold them ide unlock most of the money tied up since most of them was brought used and these things hold value. 

The axial scx10 is the best bcos they can go anywhere even full speed in the back garden which gets them tons more use than the traxxas which is the park only. She uses that alongside me using my rc. But now I'm building the 2nd scx10 so the girls can bash them around the garden together. Ther not bashers but the way they play with them they are lol. The speed is perfect too. 

My eldest got hers aged 4 a forum freind on here sold me the base roller its been 5yrs now and its still as loved as ever. Never broken either which is great just slowly added parts to make it better. I couldnt recomend them higher. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

none taken. She enjoys the car. Just me I think. Like to swap things around. Maybe comes from being a Lego fan. 

• Like 1

Just now, ItsRich_RC said:

none taken. She enjoys the car. Just me I think. Like to swap things around. Maybe comes from being a Lego fan. 

I think you need your own car. 🤔😁 

Purely so you can play/race with her of course. 😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

I think you need your own car. 🤔😁 

Purely so you can play/race with her of course. 😉

I have my own Lol. But I’m still very much a noob though. And wish to change bits on mine but not sure what I’m looking for. But have a separate thread on that. Mine is more hobby grade. 

• Like 1