• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Switching from castrol XR77 to A747?

Peterbennpan

Hello all,

This is my first ever post. 
I have followed Modelsports forum for a good few years now and i have read alot of posts but never posted anything myself up until now,

My question is, i own a HPI Baja Kraken CY26cc engine with DDM Fast Pipe and afew other upgrades. Now i have being using Castrol XR77 2 stroke oil and i think it is a really good oil and highly rated by many people. I am wanting to switch oils to Castrol A747 just to try it out and to see what all the hype is about as the A747 is highly rated too. 

Will it be ok to just mix some of the A747 25/1 and put it in the empty tank without landing into problems?

There isnt much info about this so i thought i would post up here to see what people think?

cheers

James B-L

Edited by Peterbennpan

The Castrol XR77 is a fully synthetic 2t oil where as the Castrol A747 is semi synthetic consisting of i think 20% castor oil. 

Ive done quite alot of research on this but have never found much info about it? I thought it was mineral oils that can react?

i did ask Ian at MMR Modeltech and he said not to do it?  I also asked Steve at DDM and he said that it will be completely fine to switch from a Fully synthetic 2T oil to a semi synthetic castor oil. He said people put to much thought into this and to just take it easy on the first few tanks and monitor the engine that it doesnt get to hot/ lean. I have already ordered the oil so i think i will try it out. Ill let you know what happens. 😎