• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

£100 speed challenge (Project Ender) TARGET 100MPH!

Alex97

Colour   

19 members have voted

1. 1. Body colour

• Yellow
    • Orange

On 23/12/2020 at 10:05, Alex97 said:

Update- 

I had a few goes at printing the body but it was around 250g all in VS a normal shell onroad shell at 75g so added quite a bit of weight plus all of it would have needed to be sanded down to reduce drag, a lot to get something i'd be happy with. . 

I can see why not many people have printed bodies as it allows you to get whatever shapes you want but on a budget printer unless you really know what your doing you'll always struggle. it's been a great learning cuve and reminded me how to use a lot of the CAD fuctions that i'd forgotten about, plus kept me busy during the first lockdown. 

This project was good fun and i've found I enjoy the design side more than the running side of RC.

All is not lost, i've been playing arouns with a X12 pan car and transfered a lot of the electronics to that. This has a custom made carbon fibre chassis and uses a normal 1/12 LMP body so much easier. It's ready for the first test run however everything is very damp and with a 2.5t motor even on 50% with a low tooth pinion i'll struggle to keep it in a stright line. 

Regarding the body I'd have thought using the 3D printed body to make a mould for fibre glass would be a better idea rather than trying to use a printed body to run. 

Also regarding the 1/12th scale one of my speed run cars is a 1/12th Serpent S120 LTX. Current PB is 87mph.
The only way to keep one of these small, light weight cars in a straight line when running is to be very progressive with your trigger pull and bring up the speed slowly. That's true of any car you're trying to speed run but even more critical with a 2wd. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Regarding the body I'd have thought using the 3D printed body to make a mould for fibre glass would be a better idea rather than trying to use a printed body to run. 

Also regarding the 1/12th scale one of my speed run cars is a 1/12th Serpent S120 LTX. Current PB is 87mph.
The only way to keep one of these small, light weight cars in a straight line when running is to be very progressive with your trigger pull and bring up the speed slowly. That's true of any car you're trying to speed run but even more critical with a 2wd. 

I did once line a shell with fibre glass, it was just too messy and weighed a ton. 

The goal for the 1/12 is 100, no idea if I can do it but it's just a bit of fun. What power unit were you running? 

On 24/12/2020 at 19:28, Alex97 said:

I did once line a shell with fibre glass, it was just too messy and weighed a ton. 

The goal for the 1/12 is 100, no idea if I can do it but it's just a bit of fun. What power unit were you running? 

The thing is though I know a lot of the top speed guys here in the UK and they all fibre glass their original polycarbonate bodyshells because it stops them distorting at high speed. Even the thick 2mm+ PC/lexan shells will flex out of shape at high speed and if you crash at over a ton well of course there's not a lot left of a standard shell.

My 1/12th Serpent has a Castle 7700KV brushless motor powered by the largest battery I could fit in there which is a 3S Turnigy Graphene Panther. 👍

• Like 1