• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

something for in the house?

TheTwig

Hi all,

My son and I are trying to find something we can use in the house - so speed isn't a priority, but plenty of control and steerability is.

The idea is to set up courses, jumps, turns etc around the house/furniture and do time trials or races. We don't mind what kind of vehicle, we'd just be happy to find something that is fun and will last a wee while. I'm sure we'll end up using it outside too, but a small capable lounge monster would be the first priority.

We've searched for 1/32 scale but can't find much at all available in the UK, or anything we've ever heard of, so any recommendations would be gratefully received so we can avoid cheap rubbish and get something that will be robust and fun to use.

many thanks in advance

Hi there. :) What's your budget? And when you are using it inside how big of a space are we talking?

Lots of choice for scale crawlers, these are great for obstacles but not really fast enough to do jumps.

Thanks Nick,

I guess up to about £50 is fine (unless better value is just around the corner), just something to help relieve the lockdown blues and drag us away from Forza Horizon 4! 

Space wise we could fit in a 12ft straight, it's an L-shaped carpeted lounge so we could go right ten feet, then turn and do an inner L back - that would be the max but we could add some wiggles/under furniture, or go through to the smooth floored (smaller) kitchen and back too.

We already use an FTX Vantage outdoors so we know what we're doing driving wise etc.

cheers

Go for Team Associated SC 28, I've got one for £47 and haven't looked back. They are quiet nippy, fast acceleration and super smooth steering and highly gripy tyres on tarmac/laminated flooring. I use mines indoors around my living room going around the dinning table forever almost to the point where i am hypnotising myself at high speeds🤣

• Like 2

The SC28 looks great - as do all the Associated ones - but I can't find any stock anywhere... :( 

Looks like everyone might have had the same idea during lockdown (imagining of lots of people in their kitchens going dizzy watching cars go round in tiny circles...)

Might have to go with a Hooligan if I can't find one, shame as we prefer the buggy/truck look - micro crawler or 1/36 would be great too but can't find either.

Understandably there seems to be very poor supply worldwide at the minute - at least where I've looked.

Edited by TheTwig

18 hours ago, TheTwig said:

The SC28 looks great - as do all the Associated ones - but I can't find any stock anywhere... :( 

Looks like everyone might have had the same idea during lockdown (imagining of lots of people in their kitchens going dizzy watching cars go round in tiny circles...)

Might have to go with a Hooligan if I can't find one, shame as we prefer the buggy/truck look - micro crawler or 1/36 would be great too but can't find either.

Understandably there seems to be very poor supply worldwide at the minute - at least where I've looked.

Yep following your post I went looking, and reached the same conclusion - it might have to be the Hooligan.

Does anyone have one of these (the jnr)?  If so how do they run on carpet?

12 hours ago, TheTwig said:

thanks I'll take a look 👍

dammit I still can't get my hands on one - we are now completely sold on the idea of a crawler for the lounge though. My son is already planning routes... 

Just had a 1/28 sinohobby miniq from banggood arrive yesterday. Only £30 so would defo recommend. It's a lovely little drifter.

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is an interesting enough idea to have a good time during quarantine. I personally cannot recommend a good RC car, but I am thinking of taking advantage of your idea and trying to implement it with my son. Although we don't have a lot of furniture to make a really interesting race track, I think we can use cardboard to make a really interesting track. And I'm just wondering where you usually buy your furniture and decor. I want to give my wife a new mirror, but to be honest, I don't even know where people usually buy them. I found a service https://thekairoscollective.com/furniture/mirrors.html with a lot of offers, but I decided to ask you because I'm really interested to know.

Edited by OliviaBlake