• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Absima AB3.4 Steering Modification

Oddly, I'm having to use tapatalk to add a reply to this post.

After not being particularly happy with the steering on my Ab3.4, even after changing to a 10kg tower pro servo, it just wasn't returning properly.

I replaced the stock ackerman link with a turnbuckle. I had to file down the chassis under the front diff, I've got the protector plate underneath and there doesn't seem to be an increase in flex after performing this modification.

To fit the turnbuckle with the large adjustment nut thing, you need to take away most of the material under the diff. If you have some normal m3 threaded bar you probably won't need to remove quite so much.

The turnbuckle was actually a spare absima servo arm, but I ended up changing the ends to some old tamiya ones I had in the toolbox, and some 5.7mm shock ball mounts.

All seems to behave much better than it did, so I'm quite happy with that.

Made some poor choices building this car, the hobbywing 1060 that was recommended goes into limp mode with a tamiya sport tuned motor, so I've had to order a cap kit for it. The alturn servo is a bit weak but should be fine in my lunchbox.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

This is now on the list of mods to do when I next take it apart. My steering seems to be completely fine at the moment but I'm curious to see if this has increased the steering angle as the old Ackerman link collids with the chassis which I think reduces the turning circle. Is this right? Or is it the same as before?

This is now on the list of mods to do when I next take it apart. My steering seems to be completely fine at the moment but I'm curious to see if this has increased the steering angle as the old Ackerman link collids with the chassis which I think reduces the turning circle. Is this right? Or is it the same as before?
In its stock configuration, it still hits the chassis. But now its adjustable you could shorten the link and extend the steering turnbuckles.
Not sure if it would work though.

4 minutes ago, soopahfly said:

In its stock configuration, it still hits the chassis. But now its adjustable you could shorten the link and extend the steering turnbuckles.
Not sure if it would work though.

Fair enough. I think even if it didn't hit the chassis it would still it the diffs anyways :(

Fair enough. I think even if it didn't hit the chassis it would still it the diffs anyways [emoji20]
Either way, it's all nice and smooth now, centres properly and doesn't have any stiffness all the way through its travel.

7 minutes ago, soopahfly said:

Either way, it's all nice and smooth now, centres properly and doesn't have any stiffness all the way through its travel.

Lovely

Maybe you had a bit of a dud because mine wasn't stiff to begin with. Or you might've tightened the Ackerman linkages too tight? Idk

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2020 at 18:24, soopahfly said:

Oddly, I'm having to use tapatalk to add a reply to this post.

After not being particularly happy with the steering on my Ab3.4, even after changing to a 10kg tower pro servo, it just wasn't returning properly.

I replaced the stock ackerman link with a turnbuckle. I had to file down the chassis under the front diff, I've got the protector plate underneath and there doesn't seem to be an increase in flex after performing this modification.

To fit the turnbuckle with the large adjustment nut thing, you need to take away most of the material under the diff. If you have some normal m3 threaded bar you probably won't need to remove quite so much.

The turnbuckle was actually a spare absima servo arm, but I ended up changing the ends to some old tamiya ones I had in the toolbox, and some 5.7mm shock ball mounts.

All seems to behave much better than it did, so I'm quite happy with that.

Made some poor choices building this car, the hobbywing 1060 that was recommended goes into limp mode with a tamiya sport tuned motor, so I've had to order a cap kit for it. The alturn servo is a bit weak but should be fine in my lunchbox.

I might have to give this a try when my new servo turns up then if it makes the steering system better