• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Schumacher Swift 2 Brushless Conversion

50 minutes ago, tomzac66 said:

I’m on my second for my other hyper arrived today DPD

42b4a340d95f33e045640c33cbe9543e.jpg

7bc64fa0c111ec4d7c29b480b5f87b67.jpg

I could open one every day they are so well packaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad isn't how little things like that impress us lol.

it shows that it is a quality product though if it is packaged that well in my eyes.

So had to do a little bit of fabricating tonight to get the motor to fit where i want it.

As i want it centrally mounted above the Diff rather than next to it, i have had to move the rear chassis brace over slightly.

The standard location of the brace meant that the bottom of the Motor hit it and couldn't sit low enough to move the motor to the lowest position it could possibly need to go too.

brace1.thumb.jpg.89d2ea818275e14dfa3aac9977ff98db.jpg

The brace only needed to move about half an inch so i don't think it will change the strength at the rear that much.

1106211640_bracehole.thumb.jpg.0fac8d88f6c46e8f10bcd062dff42743.jpg

98027590_bracenewlocation.thumb.jpg.f82869b3802375ee6914853f93647797.jpg

I just need to get a 3mm Metal Drill bit to make the hole and secure it in place and it should work fine :) 

DAY 5.

Today i am expecting a few Parcels, so should be a big day in the development of the Buggy, I know the Batteries, Suspension parts and the Body shell are being delivered as i have had a notification from DPD, but i also think the Diff Gaskets & Diff Oil is coming too, that means if they come, all the mechanics of the vehicle are done, all that will be left to do is is make the new Carbon Fibre Battery Tray and Central Diff Strut Braces once the Carbon Fibre Sheets arrive. and then the buggy should be pretty much complete :) 

I will add pictures etc once it all arrives, fingers crossed i get the bits i am waiting for.

I will probably won't start painting the shell till next week as it is my Daughters 18th birthday tomorrow so will be a busy weekend getting drunk with her :)

DAY 9.

Didn't really make much Progress over the weekend as it was my Daughters 18th Birthday (and i'm waiting on a few bits to arrive.

The shell arrived on Thursday so i concentrated on that over the weekend.

My main passion in Life is Motorbikes, and all of my Bikes get heavily modified and resprayed in a colour scheme that is distinct to me, it's one of the first things i do when i get a new bike

Blade.thumb.jpg.34927f0f8e9fc5d0c41d36ed276a5199.jpg

So with that in Mind, i decided that the shell would also sport them colours :)

I set out by masking out the windows and the area to be black (i didn't use the proper Tamiya line tape that can do curves, that was a mistake as you will see in the next pics, so anyone not done this before, definitely buy the proper tape as i got some paint seepage on my lines which i am gutted about as the rest is perfect.)

1674820764_masking1.thumb.jpg.a7245d3e6bb3ca60e362b1674ed4a315.jpg

As you can see in the next Pic, the black leaked through in a couple of places where it was lined out :( 

798629271_blackdone.thumb.jpg.b5c02cb5051508186bd3d801f54394fd.jpg

It can be seen more in this pic with the Ornage now painted.

439299482_blackandorangedone1.thumb.jpg.e53652373197a65e0e9042675096472a.jpg

I then painted the white stripe, and cut out a border round the windows (like a window frame) and backed it all with silver to help the Orange be more metalic looking and added a few Decals.

The paint bleeding is really noticable in this picture, but what i think i will do, is buy some White pinstripe tape and put it on the outside to cover that and still look like part of the design.

1561899014_completejob.thumb.jpg.01afdc5a9efce638fb6e9b2bc9394e54.jpg

and here it is on the Chassis.

I have ordered a Black Spoiler and i'm undecided on whether to go with Black "Dish" Wheels or keep the white ones.

698053619_onchassis.thumb.jpg.2c6ec1825f1d1db6d94d580403be28e7.jpg

I think i need to raise the front body pin slightly as it seems to be putting a bit of stress on that area, which will just crack if it hits anything or rolls, a couple of washers/spacers will do the trick lovely.

Anyway........

I'm happy with the job considering i haven't done anything like that in about 10-15 years!! a couple of lessons i would take out of it and do differently for the next one (Use the proper lining tape that can do curves & possibly do one less coat of the orange so the silver backing spray has a better effect on the finish), but overall, i'm very happy with the outcome, and the colour scheme.

The next step was to make the Engine Mount Bracket out of the Carbon Fibre Sheet i ordered.

529970623_motorbracket.thumb.jpg.fdd98ec90317c6f30f48d9e07bfd6c1d.jpg

All that is left to do on this build now is.....

1. Fit the Pinion Gear (ordered 2 different ones and awaiting delivery - 14T & 16T)

2. Replace the Shock Bladders, Rebuild & Refit the Shocks (hoping they will be here today).

3. Secure the Batteries with Velcro Straps (Ordered and awaiting delivery)

4. Fit the Receiver and set up the ESC with the correct parameters.

5. Replace the Spoiler with new Black one (Ordered and awaiting Delivery)

6. Take it out and have FUN!!!!!

I'm hoping that by the end of this week, all the bits will be here and i can start to use it. :)

Once this is up and running, i can start to try and get my MP7.5 Nitro car running and then i have 2 of these beasts :) 

Here is the 2 Cars Together :) 

1784878930_bothcars.thumb.jpg.5c43b7d98d39d4070a4781220efc09c6.jpg

Edited by SamBird3
Spelling

The Parts i was expecting today haven't arrived :(

So i decided to give the Old Dish Wheels a bit of a refurb and new fresh coat of Black Paint.

To start with, i removed the Tyres from the rims. To do this i heated the oven to 350F - (Gas Mark 3). Once the oven was up to temperature i switched off the heat so that it was just hot air inside rather than cooking the wheel.

I placed the wheels on a baking tray and left them in there for 5 mins to warm up the glue so it was no longer as adhesive to the rim. (checking every 5 mins to ensure they wasn't burning lol.)

With the Tyres now hot enough i could peel back the tyre from the rim so it came off, this took 3 or 4 goes as it wouldn't come off in 1 go due to them cooling down whilst out of the oven.

One of the tyres felt like it was going to rip so i left it attached to the rim at the back and folded it over on itself so i could still have full access to the face of the rim.

Once they were all free of the tyres, i took some very fine wet and dry paper and gave the edges a rub down as best i could without taking too much off of them and also gave the faces a quick brush over  to give the paint something to bind on too. I haven't done this as a showroom finish as these are Basher wheels, so i imaging they will get battered up pretty quick, so this is more a makeover than anything else.

With that done, i gave them a good clean with paint wipes and dried them fully.

Then it was time for a few coats of Primer..

wheels.thumb.jpg.e093955b1b3f7c5f2e461483c0e1c70d.jpg

Once the primer was dry, i gave the rims a light dusting of black and then rubbed them down with some Wet & Dry to get rid of any high and low spots, this also gives a much better finish on the final paint job.

prepped.thumb.jpg.53c9b18069c0a323f927a14761268a02.jpg

With the Rims now fully prepped and primered, it was time for a few nice coats of Black, i done this with very light coats to start with as i wanted to build up the paint without getting runs or uneven paint coverage.

478808465_glossblack.thumb.jpg.b6c728cc21e7ebb5cb7d0965697e7922.jpg

now it's just a waiting game for the Paint to dry before i can refit the Tyres.

Day 10.

Everything is now in Place inside the vehicle apart from the Receiver, I have ordered a new one that should hopefully be here tomorrow.

Internal2_2.jpg.0676dab0394cbb04e1aa56f3214bb149.jpg

Internal2.jpg.32e3a3589be6f7c68eb7795fe4011b19.jpg

All that is left to do now, Once the Receiver is in and fitted is.....

1. Fit the Rear Shock Springs (Need to find the Correct ones as the ones i have seem too soft).

2. Fit the Front Bumper (Hopefully Arriving Today/Tomorrow)

3. Fit the new Black Spoiler (Hopefully Arriving Today/Tomorrow)

4. Set up the ESC

5. Do the white Pinstripe on the Body (Hopefully Arriving Today/Tomorrow)

I'm hoping if i can get the correct springs ordered today, this should all be up and running and ready to run by the Weekend :)

In the downtime between now and when all the bits arrive, hopefully i can get the Nitro car Dialled in and running properly so that at the weekend, me and my Boy can have some fun with both Cars.

2 hours ago, SamBird3 said:

Day 10.

Everything is now in Place inside the vehicle apart from the Receiver, I have ordered a new one that should hopefully be here tomorrow.

Internal2_2.jpg.0676dab0394cbb04e1aa56f3214bb149.jpg

Internal2.jpg.32e3a3589be6f7c68eb7795fe4011b19.jpg

All that is left to do now, Once the Receiver is in and fitted is.....

1. Fit the Rear Shock Springs (Need to find the Correct ones as the ones i have seem too soft).

2. Fit the Front Bumper (Hopefully Arriving Today/Tomorrow)

3. Fit the new Black Spoiler (Hopefully Arriving Today/Tomorrow)

4. Set up the ESC

5. Do the white Pinstripe on the Body (Hopefully Arriving Today/Tomorrow)

I'm hoping if i can get the correct springs ordered today, this should all be up and running and ready to run by the Weekend :)

In the downtime between now and when all the bits arrive, hopefully i can get the Nitro car Dialled in and running properly so that at the weekend, me and my Boy can have some fun with both Cars.

Cant wait to see it finished have fun 

• Like 1

The Reciever and Spoiler arrived today so I fitted them and set up the ESC.

I took the rear springs off the Nitro Car so I could get a pic of it complete :)

all that's left to do on it now is fit the bumper and do the pinstripe and its finished!!

here it is as it stands at the moment, may take it to the local skate park to get some better pics at the weekend.

20200505_134803.thumb.jpg.ef554c02422720e86ba7087149457e92.jpg

This is the Servo I have in my Car at the Moment.

20200508_155223.thumb.jpg.11cf2ab528e81aecf9207e124f2b61ce.jpg

Would you recommend changing it for something better as its probably about 12-15+ years old and the tech is pretty old now.

If so, what Steering Sevo would you recommend??

Edited by SamBird3
spelling

Took the car out for it's first run today, it is stupidly fast on 2x 3s Batteries, too much for me to handle and unfortunately it hit a lamp post that i was using as a marker for figure 8's i was doing to get used to the car 🙈🙈🙈

I've bent the Shock arm and the front lower suspension mount. Luckily it's a Cheap fix, and has actually helped me make my mind up to change the Shocks rather than keep trying to find the correct springs :)

It has set me back about a week though as going to have to wait for the parts to arrive now :( 

Think i will stick with 1 x 3s Battery at a time until i get used to it, Also, may be wise to practice in an open space rather than a car park with Lamp Posts dotted around lol.

Luckily i was fully expecting a few casualties along the way, so not too disheartened :) 

I must say though, WOW!!!!! When it was going, it was flying!! and i haven't even started to set it up properly with Ride height etc. this was just a quick run out to see how it went. once it's all dialled in, this is gonna be a beast!!!

Car.thumb.jpg.edb21b4575a72266e476f73a00c4b1de.jpg

I need to trim a bit of the shell at the back as it looks like it is sitting a bit higher at the back one end than the other, i didn't really notice it till i saw this Pic and then had a proper look at it, You can see its higher on the rear shock tower one side than the other if you look closely.

Also, i'm contemplating Orange wheels on the Front and Black on the Back, but not 100% sure if it will look good or not.

Come to a bit of a Halt on the Build at the moment as waiting for Parts to arrive, I am now concentrating on getting my Kyosho MP7.5 US Sports up and running now as that needs running in properly and tuning up.

But in the time between tuning and waiting for parts i have decided to make a Set Up Board.

I have been looking on websites at the HUDY Set up station and Set up board and i just cannot warrant spending the best part of £200 for all of that, so looking at what is there, i reckon i can make a very basic version of it, but give me the exact same principles.

My Daughter has a Whiteboard that she was using for her A-Levels so doesn't need that any longer, it is 600mm x 450mm so is the Perfect size for a 1/8 Scale set up board.

So i am going to get a Sharpie pan and mark a Central Line, and 2 lines where the front and rear hubs should line up, with a line where the wheels are central (as below)

2058730841_SetUpBoard.thumb.JPG.3dc41dfad413d105510ce6298d6d72b4.JPG

I have Ordered 4 Squares of Clear Accrylic 100mm x 100mm & 2mm thick, with a 12mm hole drilled in the centre. These will be put on instead of my Wheels when on the Board.

These will then line up with the lines where the front and rear hubs should go, and then with a Protractor i can then measure my Toe in & Toe out.

I already have a Camber Gauge that will do the Camber adjustments, and i will make up some chassis blocks to use to adjust Droop.

camber.thumb.jpg.6d61425bfb33cb4c1a5a9ab1db2a601c.jpg

All i need to do now is order a Ride Height gauge and i will have a complete set up station for less than £25 :) 

White Board - Already Had

Acrylic Blocks - £7

Protractor - £1

Camber Gauge - Already Had

Droop Blocks - Will make out of stuff i already have

Ride Height Gauge - £15

So, it turns out my MP7.5 was running on the wrong fuel, thats why i have been struggling to get it running properly, I was using the 16% Nitro i had for this Buggy before i done the Conversion as this one had a .21 Engine in it and i always used 16%.

As the Kyosho has a .28 Engine in it i've been advised to get Opti Fuel 25% Race Fuel and use O.S No8 Glow Plugs. So i have ordered them and will await there arrival before i can start getting that one up and running too now :( I'm a bit lost as i was hoping i would get both Buggies running for this weekend so me and the Boy could've gone out for a Bash over the park, guess it will just have to wait till next weekend now.

With nothing to do with the build now, i need to think of things to keep me occupied whilst i'm waiting for Parts. Does anyone have anything they use that is a decent project to get your teeth into? i was thinking of Building a Ramp or something similar, but then it's a pain to lug it around and my Garden isn't big enough to set one up in and actually get some good speed and jumps, so will have to think of another build project :) 

50 minutes ago, SamBird3 said:

So, it turns out my MP7.5 was running on the wrong fuel, thats why i have been struggling to get it running properly, I was using the 16% Nitro i had for this Buggy before i done the Conversion as this one had a .21 Engine in it and i always used 16%.

As the Kyosho has a .28 Engine in it i've been advised to get Opti Fuel 25% Race Fuel and use O.S No8 Glow Plugs. So i have ordered them and will await there arrival before i can start getting that one up and running too now :( I'm a bit lost as i was hoping i would get both Buggies running for this weekend so me and the Boy could've gone out for a Bash over the park, guess it will just have to wait till next weekend now.

With nothing to do with the build now, i need to think of things to keep me occupied whilst i'm waiting for Parts. Does anyone have anything they use that is a decent project to get your teeth into? i was thinking of Building a Ramp or something similar, but then it's a pain to lug it around and my Garden isn't big enough to set one up in and actually get some good speed and jumps, so will have to think of another build project :) 

you can run on high% fuel normally, it isnt a problem as long as you retune for it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jumper said:

you can run on high% fuel normally, it isnt a problem as long as you retune for it. 

Yes, i was using lower % fuel, i have now ordered the Higher % as was advised it will run so much better and tune easier

1 hour ago, SamBird3 said:

Yes, i was using lower % fuel, i have now ordered the Higher % as was advised it will run so much better and tune easier

good stuff. normally a .21 or bigger does run better on higher % fuel. i think 16-20% if best for smaller cars and 25-30% is best for bigger cars.  

• Like 1

my son and i run all our nitros on 25% from .12 up to .28 engines and we have a quite few nitro cars 🍻

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

my son and i run all our nitros on 25% from .12 up to .28 engines and we have a quite few nitro cars 🍻

Yes, thats why i went for 25% in the end.

• 4 weeks later...