• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stretch's Gmade GS01 Sawback Sport Project Lockdown

stretch

So i'll be first to admit that i'm well late to the sawback game but I remember hankering after one all those years ago. A sport roller came up and due to lockdown thought i'd grab it to try and help me keep my sanity between working and looking after the kids.

First batch of parts have been ordered but this how it stands.

4963.jpg

Yeah they definitely drive differently being leaf springs.

So electrics first, ordered

hobbywing 1080

27t and 35t brushed motors

Some led lights 

Light bar incase i don't like the lights (because the 5 pods will each have wiring sticking out of the back and will look messy)

Need to decide on driver figure but already have one i got for my wraith so will see how that looks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stretch said:

Need to decide on driver figure but already have one i got for my wraith so will see how that looks.

Hello Stretch, 

HM Armed Forces Soldier Action Figures are the best size for Sawbacks. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/158679/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=HM+Armed+Forces+Soldier+Action+Figure

Action Men are 12 inches tall, too big and look daft. 7" action figures like WWE wrestlers are too small and look daft .

HM Armed Forces  Figures are just over 10 inches tall and look just right.

Many people use them in their Sawbacks. I have one for my Sawback project. I can't show you him sat in it because I haven't put the seats in yet. 😊👍

20191220_124112.jpg

Edited by Only4Fun

1 minute ago, Only4Fun said:

Hello Stretch, 

HM Armed Forces Soldier Action Figures are the best size for Sawbacks. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/158679/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=HM+Armed+Forces+Soldier+Action+Figure

HM Armed Forces  Figures are just under 10.5 inches tall and look just right.

Cheers mate I'll have a look now.

• Like 1

HM armed forces fit very well. They are a bit heavy, but then most figures are. Good flex in the body but I messed with the head a bit so they weren't looking up all the time. Had to take one boot off the driver to get him positioned right but you can't see that. Pics I hope (not too good at this so bare with me!)

t3tnx9s.jpg

kGjNho9.jpg

MZDgu9r.jpg

• Like 1

@M and M great setup there, love the power wagon.

So today I installed the esc and rx. 

4964.jpg

Test fitted the battery

4968.jpg

Removed transmission ready for when motor arrives. Like the removable pinion cover.

4967.jpg

4966.jpg

4965.jpg

Annoying still waiting for my motor to turn up from rcmart, normally get stuff from them in a week but it the virus has delayed everything.

Bought a servo arm and fitted a traxxas 2075 servo i had in the spares box. I will fit a better one when and if required.

4969.jpg

STILL waiting for the motor, things I ordered from china after it have turned up 🙄

So tonight I added  front led spot lights, I had to cut the rubber part off as the "C" clip would not fit round it to secure to the light holder

4975.jpg

just added some black tape to stop shorting
4976.jpg

and all working ok

4977.jpg

Yeah slowly but surely, yeah normally I get stuff in a week but I ordered on 24th March and still nothing, I was going to order a few bits but the postage cost killed it.

On 14/04/2020 at 22:01, stretch said:

Yeah slowly but surely, yeah normally I get stuff in a week but I ordered on 24th March and still nothing, I was going to order a few bits but the postage cost killed it.

Bugger!!... I ordered 4th April and was getting twitchy.... Wouldn't have minded but they only gave me the express 3-5 day option which as we all know costs a flipping' fortune.... Apparently the HK post is not working - or so they cited....🤨🤥😪

I believe Hong Kong post is suspended but equally I think customs is suspended too as I have parts that have been stuck for days now at "last mile handler" which is basically customs handing over to Royal Mail. 

I doubt anything is going to move for quite some time. 

Edited by stupar

So fed up waiting for motor from rcmart decided to temporarily fit one from my spares box.

4979.jpg

The four nuts that are used to hold the gearbox/motor mount in are a bit annoying ie easy to fall out, think next time I have it apart I will put some hot glue or something on the ends.

4980.jpg

Fitted and wired

4981.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 16/04/2020 at 19:28, stretch said:

So fed up waiting for motor from rcmart decided to temporarily fit one from my spares box.

http://www.picvault.co.uk/img/1eyFsy/4979.jpg

The four nuts that are used to hold the gearbox/motor mount in are a bit annoying ie easy to fall out, think next time I have it apart I will put some hot glue or something on the ends.

http://www.picvault.co.uk/img/1eyFsy/4980.jpg

Fitted and wired

http://www.picvault.co.uk/img/1eyFsy/4981.jpg

Any updates  or did you sell it