• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Complete Newbie

GSElliott

Hi all, I’m a complete newbie to proper RC anything, I have had RC toys in the past but have always fancied getting into Cars.  I can now use my son as an excuse (he’s nearly 😎  as he is showing interest, so as we are going to be spending a lot of time at home over the next who knows how long I thought it might be something good for us to do together.  As it’s my first I  want to keep my budget under £200 for everything if that’s possible and would really like a kit that we can build rather than something straight out of the box as I enjoy the engineering side of things!  From doing some research I can see there are plenty cheapish options about but not sure if they will be any good or not?  I have been reading a post that one of the members from here started about the ABSIMA AB3.4 which looks like a good starter but I’m a bit confused what Radio system and electrics to go for?  Do I just go with the bundle that’s advertised along side the car (e.g. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-ab3-4-1-10-ep-buggy-4wd-kit-version/rc-car-products/437209) or is there something better / bare minimum spec I should be looking at?

Sorry for all the questions and I know this is really unimportant at the minute with what’s going on, just trying to think about something else for a bit!

Thanks

Welcome aboard.  👍 

The Absima doesn't look too bad and Modelsport is a decent place to buy from. Tbh for the price that's a perfect way into RC. 

You could also look at Tamiya because they make some very good kits to build. You'll end up paying more though for Tamiya than Absima. 

I don’t know about the Absima but I’ve never heard anything bad about them. Their parts are often used as a very good, cheap alternative to other more expensive car parts.

The recommended list shows the HobbyWing 1060. 100% agree, excellent value esc.

motors at that price are much the same although I have had very good results from the brushed HPI motor at a similar price.

The Core servo I have no idea about.

I wouldn’t strongly advise against getting the (or any) batteries from Modelsport. Massively over priced. You also want to be looking at LiPo. So much better than nimh in every way. HobbyKing is the best place to purchase Lipos. A fraction of the cost and just as good if purchasing Turnigy or Zippy. An Overlander LiPo charged from Modelsport is a good buy though.

Thanks for the advice re the batteries, again I know very little about LiPo so will have to do some research on these as well and will definitely have a look at HobbyKing as well.  

I’ll no doubt be back with some more questions once I’ve done so more research.

Lipos may seem a little daunting  but when handled appropriately cause no bigger risk than any other battery. As mentioned, research up on them and dont bother with nimh. I've just received a message that the Hobbyking uk store has closed for the corona. I believe the EU store is still operating. I've bought from them with no issues. I would avoid the China store due to customs.

2 minutes ago, 1111 said:

You won't find any kits in that price range complete. Only RTR. Stay away from Tamyia as they are only for show. The quality is not as good as others. Nimh batteries are fine for starting out and cheap. They will take the abuse compared to lipo.

No idea what you mean by nimh will take more abuse. Both need to be treated with care but I've had some hard landings in my 1/8 scale and the 6s soft shell lipos have been fine...except for a  cracked case.

I agree about Tamiya. We seem to be in a minority and have never understood the hype.

11 hours ago, 1111 said:

Stay away from Tamyia as they are only for show.

Not true at all. After years of only ever owning bashers (and bashing them HARD) I recently picked up my first Tamiya tt01, if I'm honest I only bought it for the shell. I now own 3 and use them all regularly. I race around the work carpark with some friends, take the kids out with them with no fear of them breaking something as parts are plentiful and CHEAP. As it stands, we've broken a couple of body posts, that's it. They've had some nasty rollovers and hit a fair few curbs at speed, but they have massive foam bumpers and tend to bounce lol. 

Think I’m settled on the Absima to start off with and see how it goes and if we stick at it!

I’m trying to het my head around LiPo and Motors etc at the moment.  Do you have any specs or options I should be looking at as a bare minimum that don’t break the bank but still half decent and I could re-use down the line.

Thanks for all your advice so far much appreciated!

3 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Not true at all.

My mate bought a Tamiya Hornet. If Tamiya think that this is worth the £170 he paid Modelsport for it then I would stay away. Pretty much what you said but in reverse applies. It makes the FTX range look robust 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GSElliott said:

I’m trying to het my head around LiPo and Motors etc at the moment.  Do you have any specs or options I should be looking at as a bare minimum that don’t break the bank but still half decent and I could re-use down the line.

These are fantastic lipos and the spec will future proof you against future 1/10 scale brushless upgrades. In addition the wires are separate to the battery so you can solder connectors without fear of heat going into the battery cells themselves. 

They are at the expensive stage. I bought them at £19 each when they have sales which come around every 6 months or so. Usually there are other lipos on sale when  these arent so have a look. You want 2  cell, 30c or higher. The higher the mah the longer run times you'll have. I get an hour from  my brushless Carnage with these lipos.

Most important thing though is to check dimensions of the battery tray and makes sure they fit.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-6000mah-2s2p-35c-hardcase-pack.html?queryID=1f886b00a40100a5fe54071b83cffa7b&objectID=24655&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Edited by Nickarla

2 hours ago, Nickarla said:

These are fantastic lipos and the spec will future proof you against future 1/10 scale brushless upgrades. In addition the wires are separate to the battery so you can solder connectors without fear of heat going into the battery cells themselves. 

They are at the expensive stage. I bought them at £19 each when they have sales which come around every 6 months or so. Usually there are other lipos on sale when  these arent so have a look. You want 2  cell, 30c or higher. The higher the mah the longer run times you'll have. I get an hour from  my brushless Carnage with these lipos.

Most important thing though is to check dimensions of the battery tray and makes sure they fit.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-6000mah-2s2p-35c-hardcase-pack.html?queryID=1f886b00a40100a5fe54071b83cffa7b&objectID=24655&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Great thanks I will have a look at the dimensions and see if they will fit!