• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fell in love with the idea of a mini-z...

super cowboyjon

I've spent waaaaay too much time over the festive break watching YouTube videos of mini-z's! 

I currently have a couple of amp Mt cars and just built a Lunchbox that the kids and me love but they are obviously outdoors cars and I like the idea of something we can have fun with indoors, being it in the living room or even making a wee track in the garage. 

It's a bit of a struggle for a beginner though. I'm still undecided if it's an AWD or a RWD I should be buying. I'd like to learn how to drift and clearly the AWD is the way to go for that but then I also want to practice normal track skills and apparently the RWD is the way to go if that's what your after. 

The body shells are frickin gorgeous but I'm also unclear if all shells will fit both RWD and AWD. I'm aware some wheelbase and mounting point alterations may need to be made. 

The prices for the cars seem to be all over the place too and it's confusing the hell out of me. For example, on rcgeeks site the rwd GTR-R35 is selling for £129 while the rwd 911 is £165. This can't be solely down to the body shell, can it? 

Anyway, any advice would be welcome. There's only so much practical information I have been able to extract from all the YouTube videos!

In real world... you want a 4wd drive system on a any RC....

2wd is for professional's obssesed driving...you need to tune your suspension to perfection and have grip tire to even drive it! :P

Just my opinion, as been a user of every one single Mini-Z outhere! :)

Even X-Mods i drive them...after "nuclear" mods :)

PS: Never ever drive a xmods stock! They called it "xmods" for a a reason!  :P Also they are not made anymore!

Edited by targetingxmod

• 3 months later...

AWD is great for both drifting and racing. Mini-Z bodyshells will all have a fitting type.

The awd can be adjusted to 90mm and 94mm wheelbase unmodified. if you use 2wd bodies, you need RM bodies for 90mm, and MM bodies for 94mm and they need to be N narrow fitting.

Wider shells can be used with wider offset wheels, but going too wide on the fronts can impede steering.

Then the cheaper models will likely be AM freq(very old stock) or 'sports' 2.4ghz which only work with the sports kt-19

Then there are 2 generations on ASF 2.4ghz boards, which work with KT-18 Transmitters or high end ones with mini-z module.

The earlier ones have a reverse delay after braking,the later ones this was removed.

Hope this helps clear things up.