• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage brushless conversion in 2019?!

everclear1984

I recently picked up my first nitro rc, a HPI Savage X. I've never had issues starting it and feel it's tuned to where I want it to be, however it has been plagued with other issues to the point where I've only managed one full bash where it the came home running! The fuel tank cracked, the one way bearing in the transmission went and the one in the pull start is on its way out, and now it sometimes won't shift into second.

I really don't have much free tinker time so, time to go back to what I know 😊

Can anyone point me in the direction of a brushless mount? All threads I've found on this are horribly outdated and tend to recommend Kershaw (no longer in business) or other various sites that no longer make/stock them. Is there a universal mount that will work? Could I make one myself? 

Any help would be appreciated 👍

• Like 1

Yes mate,

https://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=Universal_Fit_Motor_Mount_-_HPI_Savage_Flux

Is what i used when i originally converted mine. Doesnt seem to have that in stock, i DO have that one sitting somewhere, doing nothing if you maybe wanted to purchase it, but...

I strongly recommend the centre diff conversion from alza racing. I have since added that to my truck, and its a much stronger more elegant solution. Does mean you need to buy a diff, change gearing and also its quite a lot more expensive but you need to factor in "bulletproofing" the transmission which basically means buying the steel gears from the flux transmission to add; which i also have somewhere.

Link to alza site;

https://shop.alza-racing.com/en/

If you go this route then make sure you buy the correct stuff because he has several different sets for sale for the different savage trucks.

The table photo shows the centre diff mount, The other photo with all the tools shows the truck with the rc monster mount. It uses a castle 1717, which both mounts will fit but as that motor is huge its difficult and the 2200kv fits much better.

It is possible you could make one yourself, some 8mm aluminium plate, a tap and die set, a hacksaw, and a set of files will see you right. I have considered doing this for my brushless baja conversion, but bought a mount instead because i am too lazy.

Good luck mate, let us know what you decide to do, They are super fun trucks as brushless conversions :)

0d624b589aaff9caad2f5e28a1ee6526.png

4609b71a6a697f2319b53e8721083d02.png

• Like 3

@Ninetiesbeard Thanks for the reply. I looked at the centre diff mount from Alza, does it use stock mounting holes in the X or do they need to be drilled?

The other mount you linked is for a Flux isn't it? I assume new holes would need to be drilled for that too? 

If it's fairly straightforward I'd be interested is buying it from you

RCmonster mount uses three of the four stock engine mount holes, meaning thats how you adjust the mesh with it. The alza one requires no drilling or modifications at all to the chassis, atleast on my XL. Sure thing mate, send me a dm and we will go from there, I will have to find it first though!

18 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

RCmonster mount uses three of the four stock engine mount holes, meaning thats how you adjust the mesh with it. The alza one requires no drilling or modifications at all to the chassis, atleast on my XL. Sure thing mate, send me a dm and we will go from there, I will have to find it first though!

Hello mate, how much are you wanting for the RC monster mount? I haven't really done a tear down of my Savage yet but the diff cases have been ungraded so hopefully the gears have too. I think I'll just convert it on the cheap for now and upgrade parts as they break. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 16:08, Ninetiesbeard said:

Yes mate,

https://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=Universal_Fit_Motor_Mount_-_HPI_Savage_Flux

Is what i used when i originally converted mine. Doesnt seem to have that in stock, i DO have that one sitting somewhere, doing nothing if you maybe wanted to purchase it, but...

I strongly recommend the centre diff conversion from alza racing. I have since added that to my truck, and its a much stronger more elegant solution. Does mean you need to buy a diff, change gearing and also its quite a lot more expensive but you need to factor in "bulletproofing" the transmission which basically means buying the steel gears from the flux transmission to add; which i also have somewhere.

Link to alza site;

https://shop.alza-racing.com/en/

If you go this route then make sure you buy the correct stuff because he has several different sets for sale for the different savage trucks.

The table photo shows the centre diff mount, The other photo with all the tools shows the truck with the rc monster mount. It uses a castle 1717, which both mounts will fit but as that motor is huge its difficult and the 2200kv fits much better.

It is possible you could make one yourself, some 8mm aluminium plate, a tap and die set, a hacksaw, and a set of files will see you right. I have considered doing this for my brushless baja conversion, but bought a mount instead because i am too lazy.

Good luck mate, let us know what you decide to do, They are super fun trucks as brushless conversions :)

0d624b589aaff9caad2f5e28a1ee6526.png

4609b71a6a697f2319b53e8721083d02.png

Now that's a SAGAGE.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bit the bullet and ordered the Alza centre diff. This will be a slow duration as funds allow but I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

Does anyone know whether the X tvps can simply be swapped out for Flux ones? 

16 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I bit the bullet and ordered the Alza centre diff. This will be a slow duration as funds allow but I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

Does anyone know whether the X tvps can simply be swapped out for Flux ones? 

Wheelbase is the same, everything else is the same as well. Flux chassis plates only add mounting holes for battery boxes and a different spacing for the stock flux motor plate holes. As you have the centre diff coming, you dont need any of the flux motor mount gear. 

2 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

Wheelbase is the same, everything else is the same as well. Flux chassis plates only add mounting holes for battery boxes and a different spacing for the stock flux motor plate holes. As you have the centre diff coming, you dont need any of the flux motor mount gear. 

Ideal, thank you. I figured it would be worth swapping the motor parts to make mounting the battery boxes easier, but if they're not necessary then I won't bother. 

2 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Alza's website recommends a Losi 8ight diff or similar, does anyone know if the Hyper 7 diff fits?

Generally speaking most of the centre diffs fit. I got a hpi trophy centre gear (52t) and used the rest of a savage diff to complete it. Works fine. Needs to use the trophy outer cups though as the savage ones are too meaty and have a 9mm ball

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alza centre diff fitted, motor ordered, battery trays printed and about to purchase an esc, this is coming along much faster than expected! 

The rear dogbone looks puny against the Alza front, does anyone know of a beefier rear dogbone for the standard length X?

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this will mean an end to my brittle battery tray woes. I modded a pair of DBXL trays to fit, using 3 existing holes in the chassis and drilling one new one.  I planned to countersink the screws but it would mean thinning the holes, so I think I'll just back them with a dense foam instead. 

IMG_20200314_171748

• Like 1

With bolts sitting out like that...I would suggest something more beefy. Find a polypropylene chopping board, or similar piece of plastic. About hte right thickness for youy bolt heads. Cut it to fit the tray, and drill holes to cover where the bolt heads are. If you want, get some thin foam and stick that on top. Then you know the foam cannot compress in a crash and punch a bolt head through the battery. It will also mean when you tighten the straps down to hold hte battery, it's against a large surface area. Otherwise...you will have high spots where every bolt is, and theats where the pressure will go.

Also maybe consider pan or dome headed screws.

8 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

With bolts sitting out like that...I would suggest something more beefy. Find a polypropylene chopping board, or similar piece of plastic. About hte right thickness for youy bolt heads. Cut it to fit the tray, and drill holes to cover where the bolt heads are. If you want, get some thin foam and stick that on top. Then you know the foam cannot compress in a crash and punch a bolt head through the battery. It will also mean when you tighten the straps down to hold hte battery, it's against a large surface area. Otherwise...you will have high spots where every bolt is, and theats where the pressure will go.

Also maybe consider pan or dome headed screws.

Thanks @Nitroholic, I'm using a piece of 6mm plywood in each tray with holes drilled for the screw heads as a temporary fix. Not pretty but works a treat 👍