• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

£250 to spend.... what to get?

Rodabone

The title is self explanatory really.

I have around £250 to spend on a second hand truck and would like your opinion on what i should get.

Please bear in mind that i have never used a nitro before and have only ever had electric tamiyas.

I have currently got a Tamiya Wild Dagger, 2 classic Grass Hoppers and Kyoshso Pure ten Alpha.

I was looking at geting a Savage, but wasnt sure if that was what i should be looking at.

A savage is a good place to start as most LHS will stock parts, plus they are easy to buy online. Make sure you know about it's life, the engine, what fuel has been used and how much. It's a bit like a s/hand car. For £250 you could also buy new if you get it online, or some very LHS are well prices as well.

Things to think about and this will help narrow your selection are these sort of questions:

Do you want 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Do you want to race?

Do you want to bash (have fun)?

Do you want to get spares easily?

Do you want a pullstart, electric or box start engine?

Do you want a Truggy, Buggy or Monster Truck?

Thanx GGG,

I would love to get a truck and it would be purely for bashing, not really into racing.

I would obviously like to be able to get spares quite easily on ebay, as my LHS doesnt stock HPI

Not really sure about it beng a pull start or electric, what are the pros and cons of both?

I would also like to be able to reverse the truck, but i understand that not all savages come with the reverse module as standard.

I would appreciate any further input you may have.

No Savage comes with reverse as standard. There is an option kit to add reverse though.

These come with reverse as standard (I will not doubt be corrected):

Traxxas TMaxx & Revo. Losi LST, Team Associated MGT (also known as Thunder Tiger MTA)

I started off with a TMaxx electric start, which got me hooked in to the hobby. I am in the process of moving over to pullstarts. I soon got fed up with carrying a starter about, lol. A good well cared for engine, even the bigger ones will start easily with a pullstart ;)

You can pick up an older 2.5 TMaxx cheap & spares are plentiful. The Revo has lots of good things said about it. I have many times seen threads of Savage vs Revo. Again, the older 2.5 Revo has plenty of spares and you can no doubt pick one up cheap. Does your LHS stock Traxxas?

I'd buy new then you know everything is right, but if you have £250 gewt on the modelsport website and look at the 2.5 t-maxx

cracking car

my dad hads 2 and they take a good bashing, i have a revo but im afraid only 2nd hand revos are in your budget, the sav blargh lol also have one of them anbd i perfer my revo over it, savs are big doesy heavy hard top work on (dismantle car to get to diffs and take saids off to get to gearbox :() go for a t-maxx mate ferfect for your budget!

t-maxx 2.5R in red :D :D

Thanx for the advice guyz, i really appreciate it.

I was wondering, how easy is it to get spares for the Revo, T-maxx and Savage on Ebay?

Also in terms of hop ups, which car will give me the ability to tweak and tune the truck to my hearts content?

And finally which one is faster straight out of the box and can take more of a beating?

Thanx in advance

revo and savage on ebay are super easy to get

t-maxx i'm not sure on little rarer may be?

savage can take a good beating out of the box but you need some things to stop some thing being damage and stuff (tank protector for one)

revo is very good also, and goes around corners without rolling over (savage rolls, but can be sorted without any problems).

as for hop ups the savage is a big player, loads of hop ups for it, you can change so meny thing on it most of the savage won't be stock, revo not that much as it pritty good out of the box.

pullstart is best imo due to the flooding issues are easily spotted, cons for them is the oe way bearing and the springs can break but can last ages if used right.

if you want to know anything about the savage then me, mel, and a few others on here that own savvys will be very helpful to you :)

T-maxx parts are as easiluy available as revo and sav ones a guy called kieth.maxx sells sav, revo and t-maxx sarts and if u email him he usually has stuff that he hasnt listed yet, your budget is perfect for a 2.5R t-maxx mate!

Its leccy start, 'EZ-start' and it wont damage the engine and you cen tell when its flooded ect, very good value for money car!

Cool i will look into the T-maxx, i see that they have a few on sale in the modelsport website.

What is your take on buying a second hand savage, Revo or T-maxx? I know they are second hand, but surely i would be getting a better car for my money in the long run, or do you guyz think i should stick to a brand new truck to begin with?

I would just like to to get the best set up i possibly can with the least amount of money, whic im sure is the case with everyone too.

I dont get paid until the end of the month, which is when i am looking to buy my car, unless i find a deal on ebay or advertised here that is too good to miss :D

second hand things are very risky, yes you can get good truck for your money, but the engines can be a big issue, most will need a new piston and liner or they need replacing due to neglect and stuff like that.

its better you go for a new so you know everything is fine, pluss you got the warrenty for it aswell.

How did you get on with this mate?

Any luck so far?

Well i missed out on that auction for the savage 4.6 yesterday, it went for £380 with an extra £30 for postage, a bit too rich for my blood.

But by the looks of it i should be goin for a new car anyway, so i will see what i can get brand new for my money.

Im really swinging towards a revo 3.3, but they are a bit out of my price range, its a tough call. From what you have been saying it has better handling than a savage and its still quite a tough sucker, which should be good enough for bashing. :unsure:

I think i got a couple of more days to think about it anyway, unless a deal that is too good to refuse passes my way.

Well i missed out on that auction for the savage 4.6 yesterday, it went for £380 with an extra £30 for postage, a bit too rich for my blood.

But by the looks of it i should be goin for a new car anyway, so i will see what i can get brand new for my money.

Im really swinging towards a revo 3.3, but they are a bit out of my price range, its a tough call. From what you have been saying it has better handling than a savage and its still quite a tough sucker, which should be good enough for bashing. :unsure:

I think i got a couple of more days to think about it anyway, unless a deal that is too good to refuse passes my way.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the latest savage is? Is it the HPI Savage X SS 4.6 or the 4.1?

On the modelsport website it says the HPI Savage X SS 4.6 expected 22nd June 2007.

:shockingscary:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the latest savage is? Is it the HPI Savage X SS 4.6 or the 4.1?

On the modelsport website it says the HPI Savage X SS 4.6 expected 22nd June 2007.

:shockingscary:

The latest RTR is the Savage X 4.1, the latest kit build is the Savage X SS 4.6

The Savage X SS 4.6 has been out a while, modelsport had it in stock a couple of weeks ago.

The 22nd June date refers to when they get new stock, rather than the release of a new model.

The latest RTR is the Savage X 4.1, the latest kit build is the Savage X SS 4.6

The Savage X SS 4.6 has been out a while, modelsport had it in stock a couple of weeks ago.

The 22nd June date refers to when they get new stock, rather than the release of a new model.

cool thanx, ok for my next question, if modelsport dont have the savage x SS 4.6 in stock, do you know anywhere where i might be able to get it from in the next couple of days at a reasonable price?

id beg to differ on buying a sav as your first car.

all i ever did with mine was work on it, wait weeks for replacement bits, was just a nightmare.

ive had, revo2.5, savage25, lst2, tmaxx, and now im on an mgt...

its a shame so many people over look the mgt/mta4, its excellant for begginers, the engine is BULLETPROOF and easy to tune, it can take quite a beating, goes well, handles good, easy to work on, spares are cheap.....the list can go on...

but, im probably fighting a lost cause here, savage= failiures, revo= engine, can be touchy, lst2= hard to work on, spares expensive, gulps fuel, mgt/mta4= the pinions in the diffs MAY need shimming a bit (mine used to click, but funny that the gears were still perfect) and err, the tierods are a tad weak (all i can think of)

anyways, ill be quiet now :rolleyes:

cool thanx, ok for my next question, if modelsport dont have the savage x SS 4.6 in stock, do you know anywhere where i might be able to get it from in the next couple of days at a reasonable price?

I didn't want wait until the 22nd June so I got mine about a week ago from www.Scorpion-RC.com for £299 inc p&p.

But remember you need spend more to complete the kit. So far I have spent £450 ish as follows :

79.99 Hitec SRX Radio

299.00 Savage X SS 4.6 Kit

3.99 Black Polycarbonate Spray

1.99 Thread Locker

10.44 Hitec HS-325HB Servo

9.49 Mirage Failsafe

16.99 Mirage R/C Nitro Starter Pack

22.95 Modelsport UK Max 25 Fuel

3.75 Engine Stopper

2.99 After Run Oil

2.25 Air Filter Oil

Edited by SuperSeven

• 9 months later...

My m8's got a Savage 3.5 and its a pain 2 work on. If i were u i'd go for a truck with a flat chassis [Revo, T-Maxx etc] as opposed to a TVP-style chassis [savage, CEN Genesis etc] as they'll be infinitely easier to work on. I've got a rallx buggy and its, almost, a joy to work on as its so easy to access everything, unlike a Savage. You can build a whole T-Maxx chassis from metal from companies like Integy (clicky) but I wouldn't recommend it! Any popular truck will have tons of aftermarket parts for it so your choice is massive. I would personally go for a T-Maxx or Revo.

Also, the new E-Maxx's (clicky) are supposed to be brill and they're completely Waterproof! Plus they are the same chassis as a T-Maxx, just electric.