• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

CEN Fun Factor 2.. .to buy or not to buy??

CattoCattoExo

alright, so im a bit addicted to RC now, and well, im looking at nitros because i like fiddling with tricky stuff... looking on facebook marketplace is a sin. anyhow, im looking at this little joblot of slightly well, used and dated bits and bobs for a CEN fun factor 2, but i want to know more about the chassis. ill be getting it at a decent price, i think... i hope so, for £50 + p&p...  is it worth it... itll be getting fully stripped and cleaned prior to starting... am i making a mistake? 

*ive put in an offer of £35 + P&P... someone please save me XD 

Edited by CattoCattoExo

lol im looking at those transmitters... and do my eyes deceive me or am i seeing ... crystals... ?!?!?!

*welp.... i just bought a 16 year old 1/8 nitro buggy... with crystal transmitters, for £35 + P&P ... should prove to be a good few threads of ''what the hell is this'' XD 

Edited by CattoCattoExo
  • Haha 1

Cen - probably Fun Factor. Good little "starter" cars. I still have 10 of them.

Nothing wrong with crystals, as long as you are not running with lots of others also using crystal sets, and remember to pull the aerial out!

Be careful if buying parts, because there are variations. There were four versions - Buggy, Rally Car, Stadium truck and Monster Truck - and the idea was you could convert one to another, by changing various parts. There were also single speed and 2 speed together with 2WD and 4WD.

At £35, if it is all there, you have done OK.

as far as i know, its all there, and its the monster truck, its been sat unused for a fair while (about 5 years or more), and that was the last time it ran.

it got stripped, unsure of the reason why, but according to the seller, it ran before he stripped it (i think the guy had plans to clean and restore it as it was his dads, who since passed away, so hopefully if its all there, i can clean it up, rebuild it, and get it running in tip top shape, and give the old beast another lease of life)...

either way, i scored it for £35 +P&P, so it wasnt a bad little find, i just hope i can find the documentation for it so i can fully strip it down, degrease and wash the chassis, give the engine a once over, probably put a new plug in it, rebuild it and run it

*the last time i saw crystals used was late 90's - early 00's at a little brca track called the nook raceway in wakefield, pretty close to where i live actually, on the 1/8 nitro buggys... that place planted the seed in my mind 

Edited by CattoCattoExo

As far as fuel is concerned, any 10% or 15/16% nitro will be fine.

Pretty sure I will have a manual for it that I can scan and forward, if you can't find one on internet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shudson said:

As far as fuel is concerned, any 10% or 15/16% nitro will be fine.

Pretty sure I will have a manual for it that I can scan and forward, if you can't find one on internet.

cant seem to find a manual for it. if you do have one you can scan, that'd be appreciated. i would like to get hold of a detailed manual for it, IE; chassis assembly instructions, engine disassembly instructions and setup specs, and any other documentation regarding the running and maintenance of the car 

45 minutes ago, CattoCattoExo said:

so what you're saying is, pour some straight methanol into the plug hole and yank the cord as hard as possible? 😂

I don't think that is what he is saying. Personally, I would be guided by the look and feel of the engine; the exhaust is still on and if it still has a plug in, then provided the air intake looks fairly clean, I would take the plug out and see if it turns over smoothly. You can then decide whether a full strip, clean and re-build is warranted (I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"). If all seems OK, with the plug still out, flush it through with a bit of thin oil in air intake, followed by some fuel to flush the surplus out. At this point, with the plug still out, turn it over quickly to clear it out.

I will have to find a manual but, from memory, I'm not sure it will have the detail you are looking for - probably just standard guidance for RTR on running in and tuning, together with exploded parts diagram showing options and part numbers.

5 minutes ago, Shudson said:

I don't think that is what he is saying.

XD i know, i was joking!!

as for the thing about ''if it aint broke, dont fix it'' thing, given its age, if it does turn over freely and it fires up fairly easily, ill probably just oil it and get a new plug for it initially, and then at a later date, it'll get stripped and cleaned, preventative maintenance and all.

i dont really expect to get a super detailed manual or anything but the more detail, the better. im diving in at the deep end of nitro on this, given that ive only had electrics and im fairly new to it lol 

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2019 at 21:16, m4inbrain said:

It's a .16 engine if i'm not mistaken, i'd probably run it on 16% first. 20% is safe on a healthy engine too, but i wouldn't go straight to it. 

well im sure you know now that i bought this rc, i ran it on 20% off the bat... its a beast XD im very glad i found this shop !!  

Edited by CattoCattoExo
  • Like 2