• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Badcrumble’s 1st Scaler - Basic GCM JK Jeep

As I am a few pages in to this thread, I thought I would do a wheel / tyre re-cap...

LockedUp 1.9s and Pit Bull Rock Beast

F082937D-E17E-415F-BF85-8B4D2B1C38C8.jpg

LockedUp 1.9s and Pro-Line BFGs

2F2B0174-B14D-4654-A7EF-C09870B0A37F.jpg

GMade 1.9s and MT109 tyres

1DDE6126-F4F3-4254-A6AC-A0ADCA9FF155.jpg

RC4WD Deep Dish 1.55s and Wrangler M/Ts

36992381-C372-49F0-B897-DADECEBB8B35.jpg

• Like 1

Soo...should I have tried the MT109s on the LockedUp wheels before going for the Rock Beasts?
Nah, I’m pretty sure the front dampers are another hole higher in the photo with the MT109s. Which would have meant that the rear damper mounts would have needed another hole to accommodate the 75mm XD dampers (or the dampers would need angling) to bring the rear level.
Or if the dampers stayed in the current positions there would be too big a gap between arch and tyre. I might try it one day to check!

Do you mean you prefer the MT109s @Stormbringer?  Looking at the photos  again they do look good but I wasn't convinced when I had them on the truck. Then again, that was with the 62mm dampers on the rear. In theory there would be a few more mm  between chassis tyre with the current 75mm dampers. Once I get the longer XD dampers on  front of the truck and two 75mm on the rear I will take another look but TBH, I am probably with @Andy-Roo - Rock Beasts FTW!

Now I think I need to mull over some magnetic mounts for the body. Even pondering some form of hinge arrangement at the front if I can fab something from Acetal and attach it securely to the body.

• Like 1

I think it was this shot that made me decide on the bigger tyre

311583D2-7000-45ED-AFB7-E67DF0D98260.jpg

I felt I could go just a bit bigger but not as far as the 120mm BFGs. Of course, the car wasn't level which doesn't help. Hmm, more fettling to  do...

Edited by Badcrumble

Having taken a straw poll at work, there is division over black / steel wheels. Does seem to have an impact on the overall look.

As for a driver, I think my 80s Action Force figures are a tad small, which is a shame. I might have another candidate, however...

There is such a thing as too much choice 😄

EDIT: as the expected delivery date on my dampers is now the end of November I have resolved to revisit the King dampers that came with the chassis.

Edited by Badcrumble

4 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Thanks @Andy-Roo, they seem OK, a bit tarnished in places.

Of course, I've just ruined a thread on one of the bodies so I'll have to order a replacement.

Had to be one of the 90mm ones too...

Ouch!

I've used a very high grit sandpaper on the shafts before, like 1000+ to make sure they're smooth as possible but what do you mean by tarnished though - discolouration or scratched?

8 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Ouch!

I've used a very high grit sandpaper on the shafts before, like 1000+ to make sure they're smooth as possible but what do you mean by tarnished though - discolouration or scratched?

Just discoloration - you can just make it out if you zoom into the photo above. Of course, probably moot now given that you can't seem to  buy replacement bodies. I have emailed RC4WD to check.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Strange isn't it mate; i'm the same; shocks and transmission, mmmmm

I’m the same with mechanical watches. The thought of an engineering work of art on my wrist gets me all unnecessary 😂

Edited by Andy-Roo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

I’m the same with mechanical watches. The thought of an engineering work of art on my wrist gets me all unnecessary 😂

With you there, my daily wear is mechanical.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2020 at 21:29, Andy-Roo said:

Same here, nothing beats springs, gears and workmanship for a timepiece.

• Like 2

Bring the thread back on track😀, I have rebuild the dampers I haven’t busted.

139E92D1-4367-4822-B6FB-E98597F044D4.jpg 

RC4WD asked for a photo of my knackered damper...and then went dark. Hoping I get a reply from them this week.

• Like 2