• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SCX10 ii Builders Kit Issues

Hi, i have some issues with my SCX10ii builders kit. 

First off, passenger side front and rear seems to have a lean to it, not sure whether or not its due to the fact that all the electronics are placed on this side and the motor too is offset to the left as well.

At the rear the left shock rubs/fouls on the shock tower. Another thing to note is that the centre of the chassis does not line up centrally above the diff housing. This is the case whether or not the suspension is compressed or extended. 

I cannot for the life of me figure out where I have went wrong, that's if i have went wrong. I have checked all upper and lower links to ensure they are the same length. The lower right link was wrong (albeit 1mm shorter). This has now been replaced with the correct length link and still the chassis dosn't line up centrally (front to back) above the diff housing and the rear left shock still fouls the tower.

I am in work at the moment but I will post pictures later on tonight.

Edited by hardc0re_tid

The leaning thing could be a number of things, most likely weight bias though, could also be due to pre-load (at what position the springs are and how compressed they are) or it could be how you've built them, are they all smooth?

The shocks fouling may simply be a spacer issue, I know my SCX10s have had small spacers at the tops to push them slightly away.

You'll have to post an image of the chassis not being central, I'm not 100% sure how you mean, but posting pictures should help us tell if you've just made a simple and easily fixed error or if there's an issue with your kit.

Minimal preload on the springs, just enough to stop them wobbling about. They all appear smooth but some appear to have more resistance. WIll rebuild them. Using the stock oil that comes with the kit.

Pretend you are sitting in your car behind a parked car. Now do the same with the RC. If you were to look at the rear. The chassis/frame rails do not seem to sit centrally over the axle, the chassis appears to be about 3-4mm off to the left side over the top of the differential housing. Probably still clear as mud but i will post up pictures tonight.

Edited by hardc0re_tid

One of the links on the lower right rear was the wrong length (was short by 1mm), took the rear links apart and measured all links with a set of calipers. They are all now correct length as per manual. I will again check this over tonight and ensure the links are the correct length, upper and lower. 

13 minutes ago, sunny said:

Are all links mounted correctly?

From what I can tell, yes I have looked at everything again and again but nothing seems out of place. The build however was completed over a few late night and tired building sessions (new born baby in the house) I will need to sit down again with a fresh head and look it all over. The main issue is the gangsta lean and the rear shock rubbing but i reckon that if the rear end "off centre" issue is resolved it may also help in other areas. The leaning issue could be down to oil/air in the shocks??

On another note, how can I increase sag? As in, when I set the rig down fully loaded with battery and shell at present the suspension dosn't "drop" on all four corners, just seems mainly the left (passenger side). Could this be to do with the panhard bar?

Edited by hardc0re_tid

OK, so from the images above. Total width of the rear to the outside edges of the aluminium plates measures at 19.5cm. In this scenario the centre line will be 9.75cm. As you can see the centre of the axle above the diff comes in pretty much bang on 9.75cm. The chassis however doesnt. It would appear that the upper/chassis is "twisted" or out of line. 

Things to note, the aluminium plates are at complete right angles as can be seen below.

Measurements from the outside edge of the chassis rails to the inside edge of the plates on the LHS is 56/57mm and on the RHS is 62/63mm

IMG_20190710_215346.jpg

Edited by hardc0re_tid

Finally, i have managed to cure the problem, the upper left rear link end was on a tad too loose, tightened it up a full rotation and it pulled the rear end of the chassis over more, still not enough to satisfy me mind you. I then looked at the rear right upper link and decided to loosen the link end one full rotation, this has fixed the problem to where I am happy. Rather than put a washer in place between the link end and the link itself i turned to using a 94mm link on the rear right upper instead of the stated 93mm link.

Now I know this is probably not what everyone would do but it has fixed my issue and I am happier now that the rear end is centrally placed over the diff.... now just need to place a washer between the shocks and shock towers to create clearance to stop them fouling on eachother and attend to the suspension itself, the axial shocks suck! Leaking already! Any recommendations Proline Powerstroke, Traxxas Big Bores, Boom Racing Type G's?

Edited by hardc0re_tid
spelling