• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A hopeful 1/5th newbie

Highlander1971

Good evening everyone,

I am hoping to buy myself a 1/5th RC car within the next few days. As a newbie I am seeking some advice from the more experienced forum members.

I have a budget of £650, and I am looking for a 4wd buggy/truck/car, with a decent sized engine that will give a good turn of speed.

What are your thought, all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Les

3 minutes ago, Highlander1971 said:

Good evening everyone,

I am hoping to buy myself a 1/5th RC car within the next few days. As a newbie I am seeking some advice from the more experienced forum members.

I have a budget of £650, and I am looking for a 4wd buggy/truck/car, with a decent sized engine that will give a good turn of speed.

What are your thought, all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Leswith

I'd go for a 2 WD off roader for more slides and fun! I have two FGs for sale one is 26cc BAJA 2wd with genuine FG power pipe and racing clutch, 2.4Ghz NEW radio gear and NEW jumbo steering servo, NEW battery and NEW charger. And a new unopened bottle of VENOM racing oil from King Cobra Racing. Very fast and very strong!

The second is a FG Monster Truck 26cc also new jumbo steering servo from King Cobra Racing and NEW 2.4Ghz radio gear. Metal geared , 8 shock absorbers , body as a very small crack on the rear bumper but apart from that it's a flyer

This is my 26cc FG Truck is now red and white with tyre paint on the " FG Monster Tyres Walls".

FG MT.jpg

42 minutes ago, mond said:

For 650 you can buy a 30DNT, which is a Losi 5ive clone. Probably the best off the shelf RTR 5th going. Although it's a clone...

Or save himself £300 and buy either one of my genuine and reliable FG RCs 

13 hours ago, babylon said:

Highly debatable.,

And RCModelZ are doing the Buggy for 600 at the moment.

Must be reliable because mine are still going strong with all original parts and straight chassis. Nothing debatable about that. 

21 hours ago, KORB said:

Must be reliable because mine are still going strong with all original parts and straight chassis. Nothing debatable about that. 

Reliable yes, but an extremely out dated design. That would also get trounced by any 5ive or 30 DNT on any surface

10 minutes ago, tanveer said:

Reliable yes, but an extremely out dated design. That would also get trounced by any 5ive or 30 DNT on any surface

Not everyone can afford the newer RCs, and for someone starting out there's absolutely nothing wrong with a FG, they've survived the test of time and are still going via T2M in France.  

Not everyone on here is off to a race track to win cups either, so for bashing around there's no difference. 

5 minutes ago, KORB said:

Not everyone can afford the newer RCs, and for someone starting out there's absolutely nothing wrong with a FG, they've survived the test of time and are still going via T2M in France.  

Not everyone on here is off to a race track to win cups either, so for bashing around there's no difference. 

Every fg monster/monster beetle iv had a play with has been pants in comparison to a 5ive etc. I’m not saying fg are pants but they certainly don’t compare to a 5ive based platform in the durability, handling or parts availability department. 

2 hours ago, Highlander1971 said:

Thanks for all the help guys. Still undecided, but I was looking at the following:

https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/rc-cars/1-5th-scale-petrol-rc-cars/km-blade-baja-buggy-34cc.html

What are you thoughts on King Motors. 

Thanks

Les

They are a HPI Baja clone with a Kraken TSK clone body. I guess nowadays they are considered entry level 5th scale and good fun.  

5 hours ago, Highlander1971 said:

When you say HPI Clone, does this mean that HPI Parts can be used as spares.

Yes, But if your looking at spending 550, I would go the extra 50 quid for the 30 DNB.

But I would have anything before I ever have another FG.

DA344826AEE8E89457FB0AB574FFC77E.jpg

6 hours ago, Highlander1971 said:

When you say HPI Clone, does this mean that HPI Parts can be used as spares.

Anything made for the HPI Baja will fit. As suggested, I would certainly look into the 30DNB or DNT though.

On 19/04/2019 at 20:23, tanveer said:

Every fg monster/monster beetle iv had a play with has been pants in comparison to a 5ive etc. I’m not saying fg are pants but they certainly don’t compare to a 5ive based platform in the durability, handling or parts availability department. 

But you just did say FG are pants. It's a RC model ffs! They've been around for donkeys years and are still selling. Whatever happened to people having the option of deciding what THEY want and can afford? I personally could not give a crap about losi 5ives or King Motors or anything else, my FGs have never let me down over the last 20 years . Handling comes from experience and power is nothing without knowing how to use it!  You can have your opinion on FGs and I'll have mine. 

For a beginner the FGs are an ideal candidate that provides strength, durability and reliability. Every time some newbie asks a question it's forced down their throats what they should buy. And after all the squabbles and advice the newbies never buy anything that's been "recommend" , they sometimes get on here and are never heard of ever again. 

8 hours ago, KORB said:

But you just did say FG are pants. It's a RC model ffs! They've been around for donkeys years and are still selling. Whatever happened to people having the option of deciding what THEY want and can afford? I personally could not give a crap about losi 5ives or King Motors or anything else, my FGs have never let me down over the last 20 years . Handling comes from experience and power is nothing without knowing how to use it!  You can have your opinion on FGs and I'll have mine. 

For a beginner the FGs are an ideal candidate that provides strength, durability and reliability. Every time some newbie asks a question it's forced down their throats what they should buy. And after all the squabbles and advice the newbies never buy anything that's been "recommend" , they sometimes get on here and are never heard of ever again. 

My, We are defensive.

The OP asked for opinions, And he got sound options, If you search you will find that I myself have had an FG, It was in fact the first large scale I ever had, And it put me off large scale for years, A new 2WD FG Marder RTR  will still cost close to 550 quid, The Buggy version is like 650 new,  Can you really say that a dated 30 odd year old 2WD design is value for money up against a new 4WD design,  And the FG is in no way as strong in kit form as people dress it up to be,.

But then again you would dress them up to be strong and reliable, The first thing I and others did was give there opinion of what he could get, The first thing you did was to try and flog him your old tat. 

2WD, Get the HPI or KM Baja

4WD, Get the LOSI 5ive or KMX2 or the 30DN Buggy version,

Don't touch the FG, Just MY opinion.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, babylon said:

My, We are defensive.

The OP asked for opinions, And he got sound options, If you search you will find that I myself have had an FG, It was in fact the first large scale I ever had, And it put me off large scale for years, A new 2WD FG Marder RTR  will still cost close to 550 quid, The Buggy version is like 650 new,  Can you really say that a dated 30 odd year old 2WD design is value for money up against a new 4WD design,  And the FG is in no way as strong in kit form as people dress it up to be,.

But then again you would dress them up to be strong and reliable, The first thing I and others did was give there opinion of what he could get, The first thing you did was to try and flog him your old tat. 

2WD, Get the HPI or KM Baja

4WD, Get the LOSI 5ive or KMX2 or the 30DN Buggy version,

Don't touch the FG, Just MY opinion.

Old tat? Suck it you jerk!

1 hour ago, babylon said:

I actually found that quite funny, I'm sitting having a good chuckle to myself.

Sounds about right for a loner like yourself. Chuckle, chuckle. 

On 21/04/2019 at 01:23, KORB said:

Why are you getting so shirty? read what i said buddy. I said the fg are pants compared to any 5ive based platform. They genuinely are mate and im sure even you would rather have a 5ive or baja than your old FG's