• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Building from a roller. MERV VXL

Kpowell911

Hi, I really want a MERV 1/16th, however I think they are a heck of alot of money for what they are. £329 is far too much for the VXL RTR... and Traxxas don't let you import no more.... I always seem to change my Traxxas Electronics anyway.... and I noticed this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-Chassis-E-Revo-VXL-brushless-1-16-komplett-Neu/291113336362?hash=item43c7b4fe2a:g:utoAAOxyf1dTKDDx

Seems quite common as they've sold a lot of them. it would need to my knowledge:

Radio Gear (id just get an RX for my Futaba)

ESC

Motor

Servo

Body

Wheels & Tyres

Wing

I know I'm probably not going to save a fortune off the RRP, but I could build it up to spec. Only issue IS, Ive no idea where to start....

Motor: Ive had a quick look, and it appears Id be fine with a 2838 4500kv motor. Theres a few of these available for various prices.

ESC: Can I use a 10th scale 60a? IS there room?

Servo: the Savox sw-0250mg seems to be the go to, but its not cheap, does anyone have an alternative idea?

Not really sure on the Body/Wheels/Tyres? Id like it to look like a truck, guessing just go to Proline for stuff like this?

What do we think? Any advice or recommendations welcome!

thanks

22 minutes ago, Guns said:

Time you buy these spec them out they can come in at silly money 

To much power and your be upgrading the drive train which for the size of these isn’t cheap ?

Honestly if you looking for a fun mini look at the 949 range some guys are getting these to do silly speeds and jumps ??

I’ve had a merv in the past and to be honest there fun for a while but the fun soon where’s off and they end up more the shelf queen than Basher imo ??

Got to about 2 and a half minutes in, I can’t watch this drivel.... 

i will say though, looks a tough little thing although I prefer the buggy version over the monster truck.

back onto the Traxxas 1/16 range, yep they can be weak and break under massive power, as Doddy said, expensive is a understatement now for spares it seems but if I’m honest, I’ve lost count how many of these chassis’ I’ve had in the past, there is just something that appeals greatly about them.

i have a brushed (540 motor) mini slash, got it off here, used it once and it’s sat on the shelf ever since, glad I still have one though.

not much help I know but hey it’s all gravy. :good:

• Like 1

If you search around on here somewhere I have a build thread for my old merv. It was running 1/10 esc and motor and was utterly savage!

What I will say is arms (even the rpm ones) snap if you look at them and the shocks are total rubbish.

Expect to do some modding to get everything to fit.

It will also roll on its back at every opportunity (which is seriously annoying)

That being said mine was a brilliant little truck that went like utter stink and was great fun (when it wasn’t upside down)

• Haha 1