• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need someone with a big bore Baja to help me

Z.hb71

Hi, so someone with a big bore Baja (any size as long is u have blackbone gears) can u help me? So I ordered 28/48 gears instead of 28/46 or 26/48, this was a while ago so I cannot return it, and I want to know if someone with a big bore Baja can see if this ratio will mesh properly on ur Baja. I was told that this will not mesh by a friend but it want to confirm this. Also I just joined! I am not new to RC at all just this forum. I am also on Large scale forums (not sure if im allowed to say that) and I wandered over here cuz it seams u Uk guys have more big bores. I have a Baja that I am building a custom 70/71cc engine for that's based off a ALX crankcase. One more thing, I am from the US so am I allowed to be here? Lol. 

Allowed? Why not.....we allow all sorts in here ;)

The gears on a Baja have fixed mesh....so you are going to be in trouble with that ratio.

The backplate fixes the distance between the clutch gear and the spur. That's why all the Baja ratios have the same total number of teeth. stock 17/57 ...18/56...19/55 all add up to 74. Those are the common stock motor gear sizes. Total teeth = 74.

While the big bore motors can run much higher gearing...the shaft spacing cannot be changed. Hence 28/46 ....74 teeth total.... or 26/48...again 74 teeth.

Your 28/48 option has 76 teeth, meaning it's going to be way to tight if they fit at all. If Blackbone will sell you an odd gear ( they should ) then that would be your best option. Slap in a 46T spur gear....or buy a 26T pinion gear...or else get both...and have 2 options for gearing depending on what suits your motor best.