• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas e-revo drive shafts

Hi all,

I bought a second hand e-revo brushless. 1 year old, been running 6s, 68/22 gears. Replaced one half of a driveshaft in that time. 

I run it today, 5 seconds, snap. A rear one broke. Is this just because its old, or because they are no good. I was running it on tarmac, nowhere near full throttle.

So do I replace with plastic and off I go for a few months.....or do I get metal.........? if so, which metal ones, I've read some are worse than the plastic ones?

2 hours ago, RoddersUK said:

Hi all,

I bought a second hand e-revo brushless. 1 year old, been running 6s, 68/22 gears. Replaced one half of a driveshaft in that time. 

I run it today, 5 seconds, snap. A rear one broke. Is this just because its old, or because they are no good. I was running it on tarmac, nowhere near full throttle.

So do I replace with plastic and off I go for a few months.....or do I get metal.........? if so, which metal ones, I've read some are worse than the plastic ones?

You generally get what you pay for, steel shafts will hold up much better. 

Tarmac is a very high grip surface with barely any wheel spin so it's not surprising the plastic shafts snapped. 

V1 or V2? The diffs in the V2 are better, but not bullet proof. My point is that plastic shafts absorb more shock, thus protecting the diffs a little. 

The trouble with running 6S is the plastic shafts struggle to handle the torque. The Traxxas steel CVDs aren't bad, but not perfect either. There are probably more options out there, but I'm not up to date these days. On my V1, I've been happy to run plastic shafts, they're easy to change and handle 4S quite well, but not 6S. 

It's the V1. I'll have to stick to 4s on the tarmac then. Ordered some plastic for now as don't wanna spend on the wrong thing to make it stronger, I'll research more and make sure.

Edited by RoddersUK

The summit shafts hold up much better than stock. Minor alterations but much much stronger

The traxxas's cvds are junk, you want to change the arms to rpm and fit summit shafts. End of the problem.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

OK, that sounds good revomikey, I shall look into it.

The centre front broke yesterday, don't think these things like tarmac. Bought traxxas metal ones, hope these are ok?

Can you point me in the right direction for arms/shafts I need? are you saying metal or plastic summit shafts?

Edited by RoddersUK

I mean the metal traxxas centre shafts, are they good?

51 minutes ago, RevoMikey said:

The metals shafts bend with rpm arms, avoid that combo if you jump

Also, check your PM's

Laters

Edited by RoddersUK

On 15/02/2019 at 05:41, Tug said:

I've used the steel centres, didn't last long. However, I've never replaced a stock plastic centre. 

That's dissapointing to hear.

Gone ahead and fitted them today. Hope they provide quite a bit of driving time!

Edited by RoddersUK