• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dyeing rubber tyres?

ChrisT

So I've acquired a 1/32 Boomerang kit for one of my next mini builds.

Problem is the tyres are blue and need to be black. I've ordered some rit dye from RCModelz on ebay in hope that they can be dyed.

I know a few members have experience dyeing RC parts, mainly RPM parts but what about rubber?

These aren't hard rubber either, they're soft and flexy.

tamiya-95003-1.jpg

• Like 1

Epic fail.

Heated the water up, put in some dye and dropped the tyres in. After 2 hours soaking, nothing :unsure: heated it up again and threw more dye in. Same result.

Took the tyres out of the pan and rinsed them off under a tap, they were like brand new. Not a single bit of dye had taken to them :doh:

So now I'm looking at spraying them black. I read online that rubber can be sprayed with acrylic paint, for in doors use. So out came the sating black Halfords spray...

DSCF9196.jpg

So far so good. Getting them on the wheels will be the real test, making sure they don't flake or chip. Just need to give them more time to dry.

• Thanks 1

It does say it won't work on silicone but I've no idea what the tyres are made from. They are kind of a hard surfaced rubber, harder than regular RC tyres.

Never mind, I've got a spare saucepan and tongs for cooking onions on the barby :lol: