• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommendations on budget mini vehicles that are easy to control and have some torque

fatbastard

Hey,
I am not looking for any kind of kit that most visitors on this forum would regard as serious kit so I hope I don't get tarred and feathered for an obvious civilian question!
I was hoping I could just get some recommendations on something that probably most here would be embarrassed to be seen in public with i.e.. under £50 in value but might provide some fun for the young and young at heart at a family get together. I have bought some cheap mini RC vehicles before, and what I have noticed is that they are difficult to control, lose their charge very quickly and are way too fast to use inside the house as they just get damaged smashing into furniture, and are too weak to deal with minor changes in terrain such as slopes, rugs etc. Consequently they get discarded and ignored quickly. I was thinking maybe a slower, higher torque, budget vehicle would be better as would be easier to control, less prone to getting stuck, and would not be as damaged so easily (incidentally I am not bothered by any 'stunt' gimmicks that some have as they would quickly get stale). I was thinking of a mini tank or 4x4 might fit the bill than the sports car types - not over keen on Monster Trucks though with hugely disproportionate tyres (much more so than the real Monster Trucks) as they look stupid. My absolute limit is £50 I am afraid, and yes this would be a toy to provide a distraction rather than a hobbyists machine. I was looking at Amazon and EBay yesterday, but every time I saw something hopeful and then Youtubed it, it looked either dull or a gimmicky piece of junk. I hope someone would be kind enough to offer some suggestions. Thanks

If you really want something brand new for £50 including batteries and all the radio gear then you will prob be looking at something from the likes of Associated. You will get proper proportional control and some limited spares if you break it (which to be honest is pretty unlikely with such a low top speed unless your kids drive it down the stairs etc!). Pretty small scale though at 1:28. Have a look at this...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/-associated-sc28-rtr-fox-edition/rc-car-products/425947

and this...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-qualifier-series-rc28t-truggy/rc-car-products/425869

...if you could stretch just a little more on budget then I would say the FTX Comet. A much more substantial vehicle at 1:12 scale and spares plentiful and cheap...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-comet-1-12-brushed-2wd-rtr-buggy/rc-car-products/433831

or

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-comet-1-12-brushed-2wd-rtr-monster-truck/rc-car-products/433832

• Like 1

The above is a kit so will need fully building first, you also don't get radio gear, battery or charger. Think you might find it a bit of a one trick pony which will quickly lose it's appeal. It's always a good idea to check spares availability as a matter of course. Also, everything from gearbest is from China so unlikely you would receive in time for xmas. What kind of age group is this intended for? 

The great thing about the FTX Comet is it's quite up-gradable should you get bored of the performance of the OEM.

Edited by PH001

6 minutes ago, PH001 said:

The above is a kit so will need fully building first, you also don't get radio gear, battery or charger. Think you might find it a bit of a one trick pony which will quickly lose it's appeal. And everything from gearbest is from China so unlikely you would receive in time for xmas. What kind of age group is this intended for? 

I guess 12 to adults. Not nearly serious enough to pay enthusiast prices. I thought I posted the RTR version not the kit, but the price is confusingly very similar and includes 1 x RC Car ( Battery Included ), 1 x USB Cable, 1 x Remote. It can be bought on Ebay for nearly the same price with the 15% code I have. Sorry for the newbie question, but if this is a one trick pony what 'tricks' does the Associated Fox have in addition to this? Ironically the Truggy looks too toylike for me despite being a better bit of kit than the GearBest one.

I guess it depends on your kids, but mine love nothing more then making ramps out of books etc! It's what keeps the fun level up. 

What brings the fun level right down is getting just a few minutes of play then having to wait hours for the battery to recharge. The Gearbest truck li-ion is only 500mAh which is very small in terms of capacity. I'd be amazed if it met those play / charge time figures.  I'm not sure what the Team Associated runs but the FTX Comet is 1000mAh which I would probably suggest as a minimum (or buy a second battery, but then it hurts the budget again).

Edited by PH001
  • Like 2

If it's a 4x4 crawler you're interested in this is a good indoor / outdoor RTR.

The link to buy it is in the description under the video on YouTube. 

£10 more than your budget, but could be worth considering.

For another £3.85 it comes with 3 batteries, instead of just one.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for your help to both of you. The weird thing is that although the Comet is about the same price as the RGT Adventurer, in terms of quality it appears to be twice the price or more to my (not knowledgeable eyes). How do the specs compare? Is it the video production values that make it look that way, or is it because they are for use in different areas. I wanted the like the RGT but the video for the Comet seemed to blow it away. The thing is that I Id like something slower, controllable and torquey for crawling around the house and I think a fast buggy is not easy to drive in the house primarily. Also is the Comet is 2WD. How does that effect the ease of two wheel handling? It is larger than the RGT so also be possibly less easy indoors.

What do you guys think of this: I watched a video of it which was very favourable, but you never know what Freebies the Chinese gave him to make the review:

https://www.banggood.com/HS-1830118302-118-2_4G-4WD-High-Speed-Big-Foot-RC-Racing-Car-OFF-Road-Vehicle-Toys-p-1256772.html?p=ZG011417754104201801&utm_campaign=17754104&utm_content=3312&ID=228&cur_warehouse=CN#jsReviewsWrap

I totally agree that a decent battery life is very important or the car will become very stale very quickly.

I just think you will struggle with part support if you go with something Chinese, but I get your point about a buggy being a bit quick around the house.

It’s difficult within a £50 budget if you want new but I can see how a crawler might be a better fit. The key thing with a cheap crawler is getting proper full proportional control, particularly on the throttle. The FTX stuff does and being a UK brand parts are not an issue. The cheapest crawler they do is the FTX Outback but that is still slightly outside your budget. Only the tiny battery capacity puts me off a little

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-outback-mini-1-24-trail-ready-to-run-black/rc-car-products/425056

Actually not particularly uptight about 'new', however looking at used on Ebay looks pretty rubbish.. The outback mini looks well made, but I agree that the battery seems very small - one fifth of the Chinese truck. Are parts that crucial for occasional use around the house? I was not imagining it would get that beat up, but you never know. I'm tempted by the Chinese on as its only £31 with a voucher. I have also seen someone on Ebay try and flog it used for more than what Banggood are selling it for! The Comet looks great value for money, but if it is not appropriate for indoors then I'd have to discount it as that is where it is mostly likely to get use. Shame as if it was a micro 4x4 I'd be all over it.

Well I think for £31 you haven't lost a lot even if it turns out to be complete gash! The Outback mini does have it's problems too like rubbish plastic driveshaft and the stock ESC is poor. I think everything in this price range is pretty compromised in some areas tbh.

Not sure if you said whether delivery prior to xmas was a factor or not?  If not then I'd go for one of these:

https://www.banggood.com/HBX-2098B-124-4WD-Mini-RC-ClimberCrawler-Metal-Chassis-p-932834.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_content=ysq&utm_campaign=rc-sds-test&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgMPgBRDDARIsAOh3uyLW2DkZ2_mGrxAszKLycFuZNhS10X7n2a8eVhiWRdrVaBLVEE5BUgwaAqHeEALw_wcB&cur_warehouse=CN

Its the exact same truck as the FTX Ibex or Haiboxing Devastator, basically a fully proportional 4WD & 4WS capable 1/24 Crawler, ideal for round the house crawling challenges.  Gets good reviews and comes fully RTR - its a proper crawler though not a trail truck like the FTX Outback Mini / RGT, so is pretty slow when just going straight on the flat.  But for confined spaces indoors it would be ideal IMO.

I ordered the Outback Mini for my daughter for xmas during a recent ebay 15% off deal, so it was same price as this, and I'm seriously considering getting one of these too at this price, the FTX version is £75+ inc. postage.

I'd forget the WPL if I was you, I've got one of the 4 wheel versions (essentially the same rig running gear wise) and being honest I felt done over having paid 20 quid for it.  It really is very low quality and requires all manner of mods to get it to where I think you'd be happy with it, and even then it won't be as robust as the FTX Outback Mini or HBX Devastator.  My WPL has been consigned to winter project status, god knows when/if it will ever turn a wheel in anger.   Basically you can't polish a turd...

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:36, PH001 said:

Well I think for £31 you haven't lost a lot even if it turns out to be complete gash! The Outback mini does have it's problems too like rubbish plastic driveshaft and the stock ESC is poor. I think everything in this price range is pretty compromised in some areas tbh.

Yeh, at this price I could even order two and hope one of them is decent!

Edited by fatbastard
New information

5 hours ago, bertberr said:

Not sure if you said whether delivery prior to xmas was a factor or not?  If not then I'd go for one of these:

https://www.banggood.com/HBX-2098B-124-4WD-Mini-RC-ClimberCrawler-Metal-Chassis-p-932834.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_ods&utm_content=ysq&utm_campaign=rc-sds-test&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgMPgBRDDARIsAOh3uyLW2DkZ2_mGrxAszKLycFuZNhS10X7n2a8eVhiWRdrVaBLVEE5BUgwaAqHeEALw_wcB&cur_warehouse=CN

Its the exact same truck as the FTX Ibex or Haiboxing Devastator, basically a fully proportional 4WD & 4WS capable 1/24 Crawler, ideal for round the house crawling challenges.  Gets good reviews and comes fully RTR - its a proper crawler though not a trail truck like the FTX Outback Mini / RGT, so is pretty slow when just going straight on the flat.  But for confined spaces indoors it would be ideal IMO.

I ordered the Outback Mini for my daughter for xmas during a recent ebay 15% off deal, so it was same price as this, and I'm seriously considering getting one of these too at this price, the FTX version is £75+ inc. postage.

I'd forget the WPL if I was you, I've got one of the 4 wheel versions (essentially the same rig running gear wise) and being honest I felt done over having paid 20 quid for it.  It really is very low quality and requires all manner of mods to get it to where I think you'd be happy with it, and even then it won't be as robust as the FTX Outback Mini or HBX Devastator.  My WPL has been consigned to winter project status, god knows when/if it will ever turn a wheel in anger.   Basically you can't polish a turd...

Thanks for that. I will seriously consider this. What is the WPL you mention? I don't see that in this thread. Funny you mentioned them though as I did see this which looked good: https://uk.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_1847527.html?wid=1433363#goodsDetail

Incidentally, when do you start getting stung by customs when ordering from Banggood?

Edited by fatbastard
New info

Its not, its the C14 Hilux, but it shares many of its components with the B36 truck you linked in your second post, including the lousy quality and weak materials, though they make great shelfers once painted up.

No import VAT from Banggood on any of my orders, mainly as everything seems to cost 1.37 dollars...  I pay with Paypal, no probs to date.

• Like 1