• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Summit to e revo

everclear1984

Long story short, I've always fancied an erevo but they are way out of my budget. I recently put my buggy up for sale on a local group and have been offered a Summit in exchange which seems a very good deal to me!

My question is do I a) keep the Summit and run it as it is, b) sell it and put the money towards a revo c) convert it to a revo. If going for option C what's required for a good conversion? He's already including the revo centre gearbox. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers all :)

Edited by everclear1984

15 minutes ago, Tug said:

I'd run it pretty much stock. Mild BL system and new boots that're better suited to speed. 

I really do mild tbh. Go big or go home :) Is a converted Summit likely to take the abuse a standard revo would? Saying that I'll definitely give it a chance stock, I've never driven anything like a Summit before. 

Edited by everclear1984

Is it easy to remove the lockable diff stuff. What conversion would you do? 

Full conversion removing the summit stuff using Erevo chassis etc? 

Or just power it up more with erevo looks? 

The summit is a cool rc ive always liked them. But i always loved revos. Nitro ones. But i see the summit as a dog alnost it'll follow you everywhere but be mostly no thrills. Unless 4s mamba or something. 

How long is the Erevo chassis compared to the two nitro sizes? Is Erevo swb or lwb version? 

The Revo and Summit, and Traxxas as a whole, are completely new to me so I've really no idea where to start with converting it. I'd like to end up with a car that's as bashable as a Revo and if I can achieve that through converting it then great. From what I've read it can be done with the Revo centre diff, wing mount and wing, truggy tyres and body. I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's as for as I've got. Would I need to do anything with front and rear diffs or is it just a case of removing the servos used to lock them? 

Edit: OK I just found another video which shows how to ditch the lockable diffs. Looks like the bulkheads and diff need swapping but then I'd need driveshafts. Sounds pricey, I guess I'd best start pricing it up and looking into what I can get for the old running gear. 

Edited by everclear1984

As much as I'd like one i'm not 100% set on a Revo. If I can get good money for the Summit as it sits then I'd consider any Truggy really, but I've been looking around and can't really find anything else that ticks all the boxes at a reasonable price.

I've got a Hyper truggy I'd sell you. 

As for ditching the locking diffs, why? Just leave them unlocked and bash away, cheapest option. 

Biggest issues are the crown gears, CVDs and stock arms. The rest is OK. 

41 minutes ago, Tug said:

I've got a Hyper truggy I'd sell you. 

As for ditching the locking diffs, why? Just leave them unlocked and bash away, cheapest option. 

Biggest issues are the crown gears, CVDs and stock arms. The rest is OK. 

PM me some info mate ?

Someone on YouTube mentioned the lockable diffs being a potential weak point. 

I put a mamba max & 2200kv motor in my summit.  It does go through CVDs a bit quick, but is otherwise great ?. The shell takes a beating better than any other that I've owned.No need to take the lockers out. Just use em for getting up & over the rough stuff .

5 minutes ago, NOFX said:

I put a mamba max & 2200kv motor in my summit.  It does go through CVDs a bit quick, but is otherwise great ?. The shell takes a beating better than any other that I've owned.No need to take the lockers out. Just use em for getting up & over the rough stuff .

That's good to hear :) So really all I'd "need" is the truggy body mounts, wing mount & wing and some wheels and tyres. Maybe I'll start with that, bash it and replace anything else as it breaks/wears.

I don't have the Summit in my possession yet, I'm really hoping this guy doesn't let me down at the last minute but we all know how these things go.