• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MTA-4 KEEPS FALLING OVER!!!!

Aveit

HI if ppl have followed any of the prior post ive repaired a thunder tiger mta-4 then modified it with ported (fanged) inlets, performance air filter fitted a modified jammin jp-3 exhaust (had to re-drill the mounts and exhaust to fit)  and it is now ABSOLUTELY UN-DRIVEABLE it wheel-spins (great fun) constantly, throws itself into the air whilst in a wheely and is IMPOSSIBLE TO turn at speed especially whilst accelerating, DOES ANYBODY "ACTUALLY KNOW" what tires can be fitted that mimic road tires, it needs a pair of more rigid tires with a bigger footprint, these off-road monster truck tires just buckle and flop around when turning, seriously they arent suitable for the truck, im not bothered about the whole "my truck is faster than your truck" thing that goes on, ive repaired their bigger BETTER brothers in the form of 4-stroke cars. motorbikes etc for years, i just modified it for fun but didn't expect such a again from a little engine, its now practically un-driveable and i cant seem to find any road tires or at-least something with RIGID sidewalls to stop the thing tipping over etc, the suspension is OK but the gear box locks into 1st as the power exerted on the dirve shaft is to great to accept the gear change thus the revs have to be dropped a tad then it shifts normally not unlike a real car, which i dont mind as it doesn't cause any damage, please only suggest tires that you know exist and where they are sold ie ebay number title etc, i ask on such sites as comradery between fellow enthusiasts usually command's decent answers, the truck is pretty much useless with the power gain as it cant stay upright long enough for the gear shift timing to be looked at!! thanks .

20181023_005925.jpg

5 hours ago, Aveit said:

HI if ppl have followed any of the prior post ive repaired a thunder tiger mta-4 then modified it with ported (fanged) inlets, performance air filter fitted a modified jammin jp-3 exhaust (had to re-drill the mounts and exhaust to fit)  and it is now ABSOLUTELY UN-DRIVEABLE it wheel-spins (great fun) constantly, throws itself into the air whilst in a wheely and is IMPOSSIBLE TO turn at speed especially whilst accelerating, DOES ANYBODY "ACTUALLY KNOW" what tires can be fitted that mimic road tires, it needs a pair of more rigid tires with a bigger footprint, these off-road monster truck tires just buckle and flop around when turning, seriously they arent suitable for the truck, im not bothered about the whole "my truck is faster than your truck" thing that goes on, ive repaired their bigger BETTER brothers in the form of 4-stroke cars. motorbikes etc for years, i just modified it for fun but didn't expect such a again from a little engine, its now practically un-driveable and i cant seem to find any road tires or at-least something with RIGID sidewalls to stop the thing tipping over etc, the suspension is OK but the gear box locks into 1st as the power exerted on the dirve shaft is to great to accept the gear change thus the revs have to be dropped a tad then it shifts normally not unlike a real car, which i dont mind as it doesn't cause any damage, please only suggest tires that you know exist and where they are sold ie ebay number title etc, i ask on such sites as comradery between fellow enthusiasts usually command's decent answers, the truck is pretty much useless with the power gain as it cant stay upright long enough for the gear shift timing to be looked at!! thanks .

20181023_005925.jpg

Your c.o.g is too high....lower your centre of gravity and you'll see a notable difference... I.e... Get everything as low as possible, including chassis itself...reducing wheel mass may help aswell

Tyre wise on trucks, you want to gfet the wheelbase wider if you can, and also look for tyres with sidewallsd as low as possible.

On my basic Savage...I run 40 series rims with Proline Big Joe tyres. They have quite a low profile, and relatively low lateral grip. On greasdy surfaces, you can slide them sideways quite controllably with very little grip roll.

41qViSx-jeL.jpg

Compare the sidewall with your stock MTA4 tyres....

Also see if you can find wheels which give you more offset, to widen the stance. If you can..look for an axle extender kit as well. Wider is more stable.

I would suggest a set of Imex tyres like I have on my project Savage with extended axles. It will not tip over sideways....It's a big heavy truck....but it carries it's weight on a wide base. But I think these tyres have long since been discontinued

Incidentally...the JP3 and the stock TT.28 motor is a good combo. They are strong engines....if a little tight to begin with when new...and the JP3 will help that motor as well. You have more power than the chassis can handle....but it can be tamed. You have built yourself an overpowered wild handling uncontralloable brute of a monster truck. Fine work sir! Fine work.

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 17:24, Nitroholic said:

Tyre wise on trucks, you want to gfet the wheelbase wider if you can, and also look for tyres with sidewallsd as low as possible.

On my basic Savage...I run 40 series rims with Proline Big Joe tyres. They have quite a low profile, and relatively low lateral grip. On greasdy surfaces, you can slide them sideways quite controllably with very little grip roll.

41qViSx-jeL.jpg

Compare the sidewall with your stock MTA4 tyres....

Also see if you can find wheels which give you more offset, to widen the stance. If you can..look for an axle extender kit as well. Wider is more stable.

I would suggest a set of Imex tyres like I have on my project Savage with extended axles. It will not tip over sideways....It's a big heavy truck....but it carries it's weight on a wide base. But I think these tyres have long since been discontinued

Incidentally...the JP3 and the stock TT.28 motor is a good combo. They are strong engines....if a little tight to begin with when new...and the JP3 will help that motor as well. You have more power than the chassis can handle....but it can be tamed. You have built yourself an overpowered wild handling uncontralloable brute of a monster truck. Fine work sir! Fine work.

Where will I get axle extenders? Didn't know they existed, whats their correct name etc do I can find them online, that would solve the issues instantly, wouldn't need to change tires then, already ripped the hex rounded lol so ive glued it in this time, THANKS for all the replies 

On 25/10/2018 at 12:07, Aveit said:

Ps where and what's the correct name for these axle extenders, it would solve the handling straight away without needing to change tires as they r an odd size hex being 14mm, didn't know of their existence until now thanks 

Search for 14mm wheel / hex extenders on ebay

Extended hexs? 

I went through it with revo bcos it was over weight it fell over alot. That's a reason i loved the tekno mt410 its wider than its length. But couldnt afford a tekno build so tried a truggy buggy build the same way and wow my d8mt is wider than mt410 and shorter slightly. 

20181016_235227_zpsjo462z96.jpg

I cant see that falling over much lol. Especially with its own wheels 1in wider than as is. 

I think proline trenchers replaced the big joes. Or big joe 2 tires if still avalible. Ide like to get badland mx38 but mayb too grippy but i love them on my slash that hardly falls over without air time first. 

4 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Extended hexs? 

I went through it with revo bcos it was over weight it fell over alot. That's a reason i loved the tekno mt410 its wider than its length. But couldnt afford a tekno build so tried a truggy buggy build the same way and wow my d8mt is wider than mt410 and shorter slightly. 

20181016_235227_zpsjo462z96.jpg

I cant see that falling over much lol. Especially with its own wheels 1in wider than as is. 

I think proline trenchers replaced the big joes. Or big joe 2 tires if still avalible. Ide like to get badland mx38 but mayb too grippy but i love them on my slash that hardly falls over without air time first. 

Does that not just wheelie all the time??

I found that it was a balancing act with the wife's truggy....too shorter wheelbase and all it wanted to do was send the front skyward...fun but challenging to drive for the wife..

When I had the poly chassis made for it I extended the wheelbase and got complete offset wheels and I found I once again pushed the limit between the wheelbase being too short for the track of the rig..

sH5r7nJ.jpg

But I suppose it never rolled on corners.....unless you where silly with it ..it stayed planted pretty well

Those wheels are off a Hobao Pirate. 17mm hex, and massive offset. It's an old truck and long out of production, but hte wheels/tyres turn up on Ebay from time to time. Sometimes at silly prices.....

Basically the truck used buggy suspension arms, and was a buggy with a jacked up truck shell. These were different times ;)

To get the clearance they needed, they just moulded wheels which were buggy rims extended outwards to give massive offset and clear the shell. There are a few places that make very expensive allow rims...and I am sure they could be bought in this sort of offset...but the price would be pretty eye-watering. Long term...I suppose they are probably quite unkind to wheel bearings....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Those wheels are off a Hobao Pirate. 17mm hex, and massive offset. It's an old truck and long out of production, but hte wheels/tyres turn up on Ebay from time to time. Sometimes at silly prices.....

Basically the truck used buggy suspension arms, and was a buggy with a jacked up truck shell. These were different times ;)

To get the clearance they needed, they just moulded wheels which were buggy rims extended outwards to give massive offset and clear the shell. There are a few places that make very expensive allow rims...and I am sure they could be bought in this sort of offset...but the price would be pretty eye-watering. Long term...I suppose they are probably quite unkind to wheel bearings....

Yeah I've had 5 of them in the past over the years...good trucks but as the wheels are huge the needed low FDR to try stop it trashing gears...as such the crown bevel and pinion always wore really quick.

I had issues using these as at a 43/10 gearing on the crown/pinion (truggy) so had to invest in hardened gears that where not cheap (£34 just for the crown)

Never had issues with bearings but the running gear was excellent quality and I put new bearings in every so often anyway...I'd imagine a cheaper truggy variant would indeed suffer issues with hub/bearing wear very quickly as you said.

They're almost impossible to effectively tape aswell due to the raised grid pattern on the inside and the seer width of them...i used them on 6s..wouldn't of lasted on 8s...They do look the nuts though

mkxujo3.png