• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Please help with FTX Carnage upgrades

DCar9999

Hi people,

Wondered if someone could advise me please. I brought for my 9 year old son a FTX Carnage brushed truggie for his birthday last year. He loves thrashing it around our local woods and BMX track. And loves it even more when it gets broken and he gets to fix it! So far he’s replaced several parts including wheels, front shocks, body posts a couple of pinion and spur gears and that’s not to mention the various aluminium upgrades! Now he’s about to embark on his  biggest upgrade. He’s asked for a brushless motor and ESC for his birthday which I’ve ordered from Model Sport - 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/smd-1-10th-scale-brushless-45a-esc-with-3100kv-sensorless-motor/rc-car-products/425929

They tell me this should be an easy drop in install. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it that easy or is there other set up things that will need to be done? Just so you know I’ve also ordered him a new (RW) harder wearing pinion and spur gear. For some reason the stock (FTX)  ones seem to strip easily from the grit kicked up off the track. 

Please bare in mind he’s s only 9 and gets minimal input from me as he likes to do these things himself! If I’m honest I normally tweak things when he’s asleep so he thinks it’s all him but I’m not technically minded at all. He probably knows more than me!!!

Thanks for any advice.

That's great to hear about a 9 year old getting so involved and interested in repairing as well as driving. There isn't really much to it. Just unscrew the motor and screw in the new on. Mesh the gears correctly and then replace the esc. Ensure that the wires are all connected and your ready to go. There should be a manual as well to help out if you get stuck plus there is there is this forum.

Edited by Nickarla

To do a decent mesh, cut a piece of paper the same width as the spur, fold it in half, put it between the spur & pinion. Move the motor so the papers trapped. Pull the paper out. The paper should be concertina'd.  Sorted ?

7 hours ago, NOFX said:

To do a decent mesh, cut a piece of paper the same width as the spur, fold it in half, put it between the spur & pinion. Move the motor so the papers trapped. Pull the paper out. The paper should be concertina'd.  Sorted ?

Thanks for this little tip. We’ll do exactly as you suggest.