• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rc4wd Gelanoe 2 d90 kit build thread

So my rc4wd d90 kit came today so thought I would do a thread for the build. 

I will try and get as many pics as I can along the way and update as I go. 

The box and extras I bought with it tho not sure if I will use them all yet. 

23_E6_B786-73_A3-4319-_A133-_E5_E99_E73_

1_A94_CB77-4_D9_E-46_DF-_A729-6805937_B2

ACEEFEFE-010_B-4416-963_A-7_E5_E193_DB98

35654_B26-0_EF2-4424-86_D7-462_BB1_CA72_

In the box didn’t want to open the bags until I’m building it. 

6_C44_A483-_C87_C-4_BB3-9_F4_A-45_AA0_C7screen capture software

4_CCC6_A1_F-7_BB8-42_EA-_BEB2-8_D181929_

74_BB08_C7-_A8_F6-49_E0-_A3_FE-094_A5_DD

74_BB08_C7-_A8_F6-49_E0-_A3_FE-094_A5_DD

C0_FA5458-5_ADB-49_CC-_BCEC-_F0036_B4_AA

07_AC9_A80-2_C09-45_E6-8_F35-_EED7_E4_C5free image host

07_AC9_A80-2_C09-45_E6-8_F35-_EED7_E4_C5free image host

D48_C8_BCB-85_CE-441_A-9_ED2-3_B1_E12_A3

2693_C75_D-_ACAD-4_A14-96_B9-17_A0_B4_EDimage upload

23_C73156-_B42_A-416_D-_B58_A-223861_D94

4_C19_AB52-_A17_A-4_C9_B-_B7_C7-_AA877_A

4_C19_AB52-_A17_A-4_C9_B-_B7_C7-_AA877_A

E177_C323-5895-4076-_B706-778_E3073_BC95

E40_AD5_A6-5_BDA-4_E96-_ACCF-3_FFD4575_F

8_E140917-49_DD-4_F06-97_CF-_F5_FE23694_

sorry for all the pics. 

Havent decided on what paint colours to use yet just know it want it to look used and worn. 

Also not sure on what electronics to put in to it yet but will decide that once it’s built

thanks 

Edited by Rustypeb
Too add pics

Haven’t started the main build yet but wasn’t able to sleep so started putting the beadlocks that come with it together. 

I didn’t use the long bolt that it says to use to hold it together as I didn’t want to open the bags off screws to find it but found it easy enough with the smaller bolts, got one done so far 

105_D2_C04-2_F8_D-4_B66-96_DE-7_FA7204_Eupload images free

Edited by Rustypeb

Going to try and start the build properly tonight after work, tho have been thinking a lot about what colour to paint the shell. 

I want to go for a colour that matches the older d90s you see so thinking a greenish colour or a blue gray colour with a white roof. 

Any one know what colours the old d90s were originally painted in?  

Am planning on painting it then weathering/adding rust areas after. 

Will check out a load off youtube vids as soon as I get the time but one more question as I’ve never had a hard shell before so I need to prime it before painting the colour I decide to go for? 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, mkon86 said:

I am very sure the original color was pink, i am 98% sure :D

Pink-panthers.jpg

Haha well if that’s the case then pink it is lol

but seriously am now thinking the light blue colour they did would look good. But that’s a long way off. 

So far I’ve put the wheeels together. I do really like the look of them, tho if I go with the colour scheme I was thinking then will probably swap them for some white rims but saying that am thinking I might go with a red shell and the black would go well with it. But will think about.   

So far all I have done is  set the wheels up

62725_C0_F-7856-4_A86-9_D6_C-_DC425_B826

There wont be many updates until next week some time as i managed to fall in a lake at work with phone in pockrt. 

Any way havent been able to do much so far but i looked at the axels and half half the screws aren't even hand tight so will take the axels apart and greese them up and put them together.

Well got the axels re built then tried to start the build and it said take the hardware from bag E but there is no Bag E in my Kit :( 

have phoned modelsport and they said they will phone me back on monday to try and sort it out. Not a very good start 

After going through all the bags off bits again have realised I have made a mistake and whilst I don’t have a bag E like it says in the manual the parts from that bag were in the metal parts bag so have been able to start the build properly now. 

I will phone modelsport as soon as they open tomorrow to let them know off my mistake and that I’m not missing parts. 

Sorry not many pictures off the build got a bit carried away with it tonight, have got it all built up too a roller now. I took apart all the pre built parts added a bit more grease to any gears and used blue lock tight on any bolts going in to metal. 

6336_BA31-4817-4410-9174-4_D860_D1_D92_Agifs upload

579748_E4-4_AC7-4913-9_E0_A-_B026622959_

BB816087-0_B08-4_A90-_B7_F7-_EDB704_BE27

i haven’t got the esc, servo or motor yet but think I will probably go with the same as what I have in my scx10 ii for now. 

Need to start thinking about the body properly now and choose a colour scheme and what paints to use, I haven’t painted a hard body before only lexan body’s and not  very well if I’m honest. So any tips and a idea of what sort off paint I will need would be great? 

Thanks 

On 15/05/2018 at 17:52, mkon86 said:

I used Tamiya TS, but i guess you can use alot of different stuff. Automotive paint f.ex

Thanks, ended up going to Halfords and getting some grey primer for plastics and some mat black and red paint, gave everything I wanted to paint a couple off layers off primer then sprayed them the colours I wanted. 

Am fairly happy with how it came out tho there is a few areas not quite right and need to touch up a few areas, am rubbish at masking and spray painting. 

Have decided to finish it looking new then try a few ideas I’ve got to beat it up and weather it a bit. 

D63_C995_D-90_FF-493_E-_A29_C-_D2790_B4_

BB032_BD0-0184-4_ADF-_A2_B4-27_B256_D27_

Havent done any off the insides yet but going to paint it all up at some point after the rest has finished. The electrics have turned up today so going to get them installed and try and get it running tonight. Don’t think the wires from the servo too the receiver will reach where they want the receiver so will put it further forward for now and get myself a wire extension then move it back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like the red and black scheme. Possibly my favorite combo on any car.

I'm not a fan of checker plate on Landies although if you eventually want 'beat up' then it's probably more suited to that.

Oh and on that front (and not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs) when it comes to adding rust, remember to keep away from the aluminium panels ;)

• Thanks 1

Thanks really like it, they are my go too colours when spraying cars think they go well together. 

Thanks am still not too sure what I’m going to do tho if they do go on they won’t be looking new don’t like them when all shiny have thought about spraying them black but even less sure about that. 

Thanks don’t worry haven’t really thought about that, tho think making them look at least a bit rusty in a few bits could look good. 

1 hour ago, mkon86 said:

Nicely done. Paint the diamond plates black. Would fit the red/black theme better:)

Did it on my own aswell.

d90.jpg

Thanks, yeah was thinking about it but not sure how it would off looked but do like the look off it on yours. Really liking the look with the front bumper and roll cage too. 

I guess it depends on what era your going for. Diamond plate always strikes me as something that is currently on-trend for making landies "21st Century", along with bulkier tyres and similar. For a more traditional look I'd avoid diamond plate. All just personal opinion, of course!

BTW... The pics of the chassis are making me come over all Gelande in my Gelande vs TRX4 dilemma...

Edited by themissingelf
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, themissingelf said:

I guess it depends on what era your going for. Diamond plate always strikes me as something that is currently on-trend for making landies "21st Century", along with bulkier tyres and similar. For a more traditional look I'd avoid diamond plate. All just personal opinion, of course!

BTW... The pics of the chassis are making me come over all Gelande in my Gelande vs TRX4 dilemma...

Thanks something to think about was planning on going for a more traditional look but that sort off went out the window with the colour scheme so will see what I prefer the look off once I’ve painted them black, have decided if I’m going to use them I won’t be using them shiny anyway. 

The chassis has been a pleasure to build if I’m honest tho not been able to have it running and try it out yet waiting on a couple of parts. 

Have now got some rear mud guards, the inner fenders fitted and all the electronics fitted just waiting on a extension lead for the servo and some 5mm bullet connectors and will be able to have it running. 

DF35_D3_BA-_B3_FA-4735-_AFA9-1_F4269_A54

have fitted the body properly for the first time to see how it looks so far

5511_CBA6-9_B16-4_D7_A-_A3_CA-21_D25_CB9

B9_C44275-_C17_E-406_D-89_BC-0_B3_EF9_D2

Edited by Rustypeb

• 2 weeks later...

So since my last update I have got the electrics finished, insides painted a bit and fitted tho will be taking it back out as want to add some more bits to it and have installed the basic lighting kit giving me front headlights. 

Took it it out for its first run outside tonight. It was only a quick run but took it through some mud and puddles plus a few small climes over some branches and am impressed with how it ran especially for the first time. 

49_DFF9_E2-_D1_DE-4_DCD-_B9_A4-7_A27976_pic host

unfortunately when I had fitted the shell properly it pushed the insides off the doors up above the windows so need to work out where it’s catching and sort that out 

02_A7_A6_A0-_C932-412_E-9982-41404_C90_C

A73260_C9-855_C-4944-_B915-_C5_F26_D9_F1

• Like 1