• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Ion faster in reverse than forwards

Leo Best

Recently bought a maverick ion xt. It's second hand but was in very good condition and the seller said it had only been used on christmas day. It goes much faster in reverse than it does forwards though, I have tried re-binding the tx/rx and have also tried the throttle reverse switch and throttle trigger position switch i.e 50/50 or 70/30. 

I contacted HPI and they suggested that the motor brushes might be worn out in forwards direction more than revrerse since forwards is used primarily. Could this be possible?

Any advice would be appreciated before I buy a new motor.

It's usually either a case of reversing the throttle/brake channel (which it seems you've already done) or in the case of brushless, swapping 2 of the 3 motor cables with each other. I guess it's a brushed motor since HPI spoke about brushes so this won't apply. But i'd be very surprised if the motor brushes are worn if it's only been used for a day? Are you able to program the ESC?

It's usually either a case of reversing the throttle/brake channel (which it seems you've already done) or in the case of brushless, swapping 2 of the 3 motor cables with each other. I guess it's a brushed motor since HPI spoke about brushes so this won't apply. But i'd be very surprised if the motor brushes are worn if it's only been used for a day? Are you able to program the ESC?
It is a brushed motor. The ESC is an ESC/receiver combined unit and as far as I can see in the manual it can't be programmed at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
swap the motor wires around, then reverse the throttle channel

The motor uses a mini connector which can only be plugged in one way. Tried the throttle reverse but it just reversed the throttle even after re binding. a40a2628df7dd142d230bffce2214cc5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only option I can think of is to cut the wires to motor, swap and re join, or you can unsolder the tabs at the motor itself where wires connect and swap them around, are you ok soldering?

8 minutes ago, sunny said:

Only option I can think of is to cut the wires to motor, swap and re join, or you can unsolder the tabs at the motor itself where wires connect and swap them around, are you ok soldering?

I haven't done much soldering but I could probably do that. I have bought a new motor to try to see if the motor is worn out. If the new motor isn't faster then I'll swap the wires.