• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best chassis options for speed runs.

RCbutcher

Ok atm im mostly intrested in 1/10 on road which i know isnt as stable this that. But im guessing will be so much cheaper to do. 

I love the idea of a 1/8 on road speed car but the chassis options are bare they all look anceint even the 2010 era stuff. The kyosho gt2 R kit converted to brushless was a fav option. For the bodies too. The only decent bodies i think or scale 1/8 anyway. That aston martin blacked out. 100mph insanity. I want a scale body something that atleast looks road going. Le mans count lol. 

The hot bodies rgt8 is my current fav 1/8 chassis but its been out for over a year now and i just haven't heard anything on it. Except the launch hype which wasnt even shouting either. I was buzzed thinking HPI will make 1/8 bodies and produce atleast afew of their licenced bodies. Bmw m3 , Porsche 911 gt3 , then ide buy the hotbodies no problem. 

But i want something scale ish looking. Or scale then modded aero. 1/10 seems the best option. 

Plus theres apparantly 160mph 1/10 cars on 4s lol. WhhHhhAT. I want to witness 100mph for not alot of money. Do it get it done then hang it on the wall in my cave. Ready to prove any mate these things can do it lol. 

Team associated TC4 factory team kit pops up alot like thats the go to chassis for cheap speed? 

For elecs i think 4s will be my limit two 2s packs. A leppard hobby motor the best one for it with hobbywing sc8 esc. Unless 150a is best for a buffer zone. Ideally ide like the elecs to be the bulk of the project so if i change out the elecs will go to the new home and i wont be out too much. 

So a cheap chassis that has good spares stock good prices too. Mayb healthy upgrade market for it too. 

Im not too intrested in making an off road go fast as they usually need upgrades that make the next peice needing upgrading. Traxxas rustler style. Or slash 4x4 so what do you guys know of or recomend? 

Don't discount 1/8.  If it's purely cosmetics then delta plastiks have a hige range of nice looking scale bodies:

http://www.deltaplastik.it/?p=prodotti&l=eng&cat1=6&cat2=11

There's other options out there too.

Chassis wise a Hyper GT / GTB are attractively priced new, the newer VT isn't bad either.  There's the Team C GT8 (or BSR Rally clone if you can find one used) as well as the Kyosho's.  Hong Nor have long offered an on-road car - the newest X3 GT has plenty of options and is very popular.  You could of course just set a 1/8 buggy up for on road.  Whichever you get will happily top a ton with nothing more special than a locked spool and (fake) castle 2650kv on 6S.  

• Like 1

If you want to join the 100's club you're going to need at least 6s in an 1/8th buggy due to the weight. The 8O8 class seems to be one of the most popular (1/8th onroad 8s) and is usually done with modded 1/8th buggys. The ROSSA record for 2s is in excess of 130mph with a Serpent S411 chassis.

The hyper vt looks very good ultra modern. The body is ugly in the std paint. 

I wish hpi would pull the finger out on 1/8 bodies. 

Thanks for leading me to the 808 class ill read through others conversions ive been struggling to find the builds not knowing the popular chassis options. 

Im still intrested in 1/10 aswel unless the cost difference isnt that much. I know it will be a paper weight most of the time so as cheap as possible is main goal. I wouldbt need much just a chassis really. But none ive seen are signing to me. The AE TC4 sounds cool but its spares cost a bomb. 1/8 Might be cheaper to fix lol esp if hyper 7 parts suit it. 

Hong nor x3 GT looks very good too and i like its body the most so far. 

Ill keep reading through the 808 builds. 

The Hyper VT looks sweet but you're going to end throwing away the stock electrics and using a pan car/LMP style body to go fast, so why not start with a second hand Hyper 7? 

For a cheap 2s car maybe something like the Schumacher Mi1v2  or maybe a 1/12 pan car? Slightly more expensive but how about a 1/10 pan car? https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=423848&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIjY8cyn2gIVA7ftCh1oRwhUEAQYASABEgJnx_D_BwE

This thread is massive but very helpful: https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/889041-speed-run-electric-all-classes-welcomed.html

The official ROSSA site: http://www.rossa.org.uk/index.html 

Edited by OllieNZ

Nice one man ill read through those later. Ide love 1/8 but just cant shake the 1/10 prices lol. Dip a toe in then if i crash and destroy it ill hopfully still have the elecs to use in my kids rcs. 

I found a deal last night i was so tempted by bcos it was my first Elec rc. Hpi sprint 2 flux with 911 body only this one has 5900kv castle motor. Well flux vecktor. Mine had the 5700kv motor but i never used it on lipo. One of my regrets. It doesn't have to be 100mph. Just OMSG fast. Cruise half speed bang the trigger and every tire breaks lose just to the side afew inches and gone. 

Unstable mayb but a goal to tackle a reason to tweek lol. 

If i like it and want to chase 100. Then i should buy a bigger MT. Then convert my traxxas slash back to rally. The chassis is already 6s ready. Just needs bigger elecs and lipo tray. But its so good as it is right now idk if i should risk it imploding lol. Thats a big worry even tho my road is huge smooth and village quiet. Still i love that slash lol. Ide melt of it did. 

I found this with 3hrs left but then forgot to check it again. Almost the same deal i brought before for £110 2-3yrs ago but this includes much more spares etc. Now ive just seen it ended £125 i wish i just bid on it. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152971642189

Upgrade the chassis to metal orange. Keep the motor. Swap the esc for sc8. Find the tires people recomend and try TRY to keep the body that 911 is sweet. I used fake carbon wrap on my bonnet and roof with flux sticker corner of the bonnet and it looked awesome. Its wheels and tires the best ive had for 1ten TC. They was licenced tires. 

So if i can do it with sprint 2 flux i would. But do think shaft drive is best. Hpi rs4 newest looks cool.

The Schumacher mi1 is cheapish but think ill stick to used for now. 

Keep my dream for 1/8 on road with hot bodies rgt8. 

Or if i get a tekno mt410 buggy based mayb theyll bring a GT conversion soon. 

Ide absolotuly die if i build something beasty then implode it lol. So for now think 1/10 is best. Watching ther videos makes me want to do it more too. Just watching a noob buy a traxxas 4tec and put 3s into it. Wow fast. Insanity undrivable. But fun building the skill and chassis to keep it straight. 

Heres a super psycho sprint flux on 3s over 100mph with speed traps. Mostly street car if i could build this on budget that would be cool. I wouldnt need new lipo either. Any guesses to kit used? 

https://youtu.be/MoHSiLbgaWs

• 1 month later...

Heres what i ended up with for cheap thrills in aus a dude hit 152mph after lots of practices through 120s and up a vaterra v100 i won it on ebay for £60 it has three sets of hpi vintage tires d compound. Mayb hpi rims im not sure but think it was a good deal. Ill sell the radio for points back aswel. The std combo was inc too. 

I was hoping to use the body but its cut up mayb too much. Madmaxs drift car i think was the idea lol. Was a very nice body as new its a shame its modded. Shark fins would suit it lol. 

20180610_015518_zpsbulc4fhz.jpg

20180610_015814_zpsnlqp4f9x.jpg

I didnt know it uses plastic drive line so will be a while now until ive collected the metal but once thats done with slash 4x4 similar drive line it should be very strong 4 spider gears all metal. This chassis has new drive shaft and cvds as he removed them for rwd handling. But it looks like this now. 

20180610_022627_zps8dieny9q.jpg

Back in its box and waiting for parts. Long term. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

Nice kit!

I tried a speed run with a 1/6, it was a nightmare to handle at speed.....

Few tips for extra speed

Slam it low, firm up suspension with thick oil, buy the best motor you can afford with a high kV (pref 4s for this scale), gear up (26-36t), high c batt (maxamps/balls out), underpan for chassis belly, foam tyre premount wheels (GRP), close off all your holes in front of bodyshell.

Have fun...! Can't wait to see a video of this!

Its surprising how easy it is to lose control at 70+mph.....one twitch of the wheel and the rear end overtakes the front....it may be easier in this smaller scale though

Good luck....and Godspeed

ZvEkFVT.gif

On 10/06/2018 at 23:22, RCbutcher said:

The tires look like little dragster tires could they go fast? Or do i need special tires?

Foam GRP premounts, opt for a med compound ... 

Those tyres and wheels won't do dude, even if you glued them...as they'll just balloon like mad and the foams are probs cheapo open cell ones which will disintegrate at 50mph....may lads stock kyosho drx ve ones did at 50mph on 3s anyways......

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mate kinda giving up on the v100 mayb looking to get a 1/8 basher and turn my slash to speed since its pretty much ready and the protoform corvette! Im liking the idea of a hyper mt.