• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What Buggy (Electric)

Hi All,

The rally car I have is not the greatest on grass, especially as the field is not getting cut much at the end of the road!

so I am looking for a good buggy, electric only, won't be doing any racing just messing around, quite like the bigger ones but don't want to spend a fortune.

What the best quality, branded to get?

Thanks guys

Rough budget?

An 1/8 buggy will be better on grass than a 1/10. A truggy or monster truck would be better again and would open up some 1/10 options. Also a 1/10 short course truck is pretty much the same size as most 1/8 buggies but nowhere near as beefy.

For a rough idea my 1/8 hyper VSe has run just over £300 vs my turnigy 2wd SCT at around £150. Bear in mind these are both cheap examples of their kind and I'm not opposed to ordering stuff from overseas. I haven't included batteries in that figure as I run my batteries across several different models and consider them separately cost wise. 

I think 1:8 would be best for me as long as spares are plenty available.

would always try and look for a good used example first so need a couple of titles really, I suppose around £300 would be all i was looking to spend for something.

I'd be looking at the Kyosho MP9e readyset or the losi 8e.

Look at the spares availability for both on ebay and assess it.

Old model but popular used are converted Hyper7's.

Arrma have the Typhon, but spares?

HPI Trophy flux sucks.

Vorza overpriced and isn't that strong in the hinge pin areas.

New I'd offer the VSe, even in 100a RTR guise as a far better buy than either the losi or kyosho at well over £100 more each.  Losi parts support is no longer what is was, plus imperial!  Kyosho parts can also be £££ if easy enough to get - plus kyosho really take the biscuit with the hardware on the readyset against the kit version.

On 20/03/2018 at 10:31, RobFandango said:

I think 1:8 would be best for me as long as spares are plenty available.

would always try and look for a good used example first so need a couple of titles really, I suppose around £300 would be all i was looking to spend for something.

There isn’t quite a bit of choice tbh. 

The Turnigy SCT2 is a short course truck. Kits start at about £70 from Hobbyking. However they used to sell them as a buggy and you can easily convert. Really just the body and associated bits. The wheels stay the same. 

Arrma also sell the Raider XL 2wd buggy for about £200 or so. 

Both perfectly capable on grass. 

These are my ones:

9854C02F-9F7D-44C2-AF27-9EBB623FBFC3.jpg

and to give some scale to a 1/10 buggy

3DD8F89B-11C1-44CE-B4EE-44218123A851.jpg

and abs mentioned above. Stadium trucks or truggies might be worth looking at. A 1/10th one of these will have wheels a similar size to a 1/8th buggy. 

Lots of choice from people loke FTX for under £200 or Hpi. 

This is is my Carnage next to the 1/8th Arrma to give an idea of size:

A165EFAC-683A-4768-90B7-8EAB476D97B1.jpg

There are also Monster trucks for a bit more clearance too. Such as the Arrma Granite and the BSD Racing Flux Rampage. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-granite-blx-1-10th-2wd-monster-truck/rc-car-products/406533

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/bsd-racing-flux-rampage-4wd-truck-super-1-10th-brushless-/rc-car-products/427533

• 1 month later...