• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Axial SCX10 ii Build Thread

Hi All,

So, impatiently I went out and bought an SCX10 ii kit, after reading up and watching what felt like 100s of youtube videos apparently the kit was the best one to get.

Issue being I now need to buy all the bits, so I have a wanted add and am scouring eBay constantly for everything I need.

Transmitter and Receiver

Steering Servo

Motor (Prefer Brushless)

ESC (needs to take 3S Lipo)

The motor options are mind boggling, I keep reading constantly just to go with brushed but I really want to modernise and go brushless, what I am really confused by is they can range from £20 to £250! for a slow crawler motor!!!

Anyway, can anyone assist with motor choice? and an ESC to power it that suits a crawler, I have Lipos already that have Deans connector so I would like to use them if possible.

Thanks all, Ill start updating as I build with plenty of pictures if anyones interested!

Edited by RobFandango

13 minutes ago, RobFandango said:

Hi All,

So, impatiently I went out and bought an SCX10 ii kit, after reading up and watching what felt like 100s of youtube videos apparently the kit was the best one to get.

Issue being I now need to buy all the bits, so I have a wanted add and am scouring eBay constantly for everything I need.

Transmitter and Receiver

Steering Servo

Motor (Prefer Brushless)

ESC (needs to take 3S Lipo)

The motor options are mind boggling, I keep reading constantly just to go with brushed but I really want to modernise and go brushless, what I am really confused by is they can range from £20 to £250! for a slow crawler motor!!!

Anyway, can anyone assist with motor choice? and an ESC to power it that suits a crawler, I have Lipos already that have Deans connector so I would like to use them if possible.

Thanks all, Ill start updating as I build with plenty of pictures if anyones interested!

Do you need it to be waterproof?

The main thing you will need is a sensored motor, and there are very few waterproof sensored ESC's and motors out there.

It is a lot easier to go with brushed on a scale crawler, but if you want to go brushless be willing to shell out around £200.

Castle mamba X is waterproof, as is the Tekin RX4.

Motor wise, Castle have a range of 1406 slate sensored motors (you'll want around 2000 - 3000kv on 3s), or tekin have the Roc412 element proof line.

thanks for the info, Ive been reading up a lot and quite a few people don't seem to use sensored motors, what does the sensoring bring?

Maybe i need to step away from Brushless then, what would a really good brushed motor and ESC choice be? again i need 3S lips compatibility.

Oh and yes I would prefer to be waterproof just in case.

Sensored stuff is absolutely needed in a brushless crawler, they aren't designed to be fast, so smoother and better throttle control is far more important than speed, non sensored brushless stuff just can't go slow enough for a crawler, in my own experience, brushed only comes one way... Smooth :D 

Personally, I am running a HobbyWing 1080 with a Castle 10a BEC, Holmes TorqueMaster 35t and a Hitec 7955.

Remember, a separate BEC is also very recommended and I would opt for the Castle 10a, because it IMO, the best and very versatile to be programmed with the Castle Link.

That whole set up, will run you way less than what just a brushless combo would, then you have to add a servo and external BEC to the brushless set up, not to mention LiPo and receiver.

Brushed stuff is waterproof to fresh water (well, 99% of the ESCs are that are aimed at crawlers are waterproof) and all brushed motors are waterproof to fresh water.

HobbyKing had the 1080 ESCs for 22quid, the motor is available from RCmart if you don't mind waiting and the BECs I just get off eBay.

My whole set up brand new has been around £160, that includes my receiver and LiPo, but not transmitter and that will run 3s all day long, twice on Sunday :D and the ESC comes with it's own little program card.

If you think just the Castle Mamba X combo is over £230 and you don't gain anything from it, apart from the potential for speed, which you don't want/need in an SCX10 II.

A 35t Holmes motor, on 3s, geared correctly, will provide the low down control you need, with the little bursts of wheelspeed you sometimes need to 'hop' over objects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would go with an axial motor and esc set ( I got mine off eBay) great for crawling in my Axial Wraith, cheap and works great, any metal geared servo 16 kg or more will do the trick for the steering too, again, you can spend loads on both these items but I think decent performance ( for crawling) doesn't have to mean spending loads.....just my thoughts, enjoy!

Personally would avoid Axial/RC4WD motors.

When you use something of better quality, you realise why they cost a bit more, they are just better.

The motor I bought was around 35quid, depending on the exchange rate PayPal decides to do at any given time.

Just checked and as I suspected, the 1080s are sold out of HobbyKing, no surprise at £22... Expect to pay around £35 for one in the UK, or order motor and ESC from RCmart and get it for £28.

To be fair you could also order a good servo from there too, postage is cheap and always quick, generally within around a week from ordering and they mark values down too.

My recommendations.

ESC; http://www.rcmart.com/quicrun-waterproof-brushed-electronic-speed-controller-p-70238.html?cPath=1560_51

Motor; http://www.rcmart.com/holmes-hobbies-110100066-trailmaster-sport-p-76738.html (I'd usually go with the TorqueMaster Expert 35, but it's not in stock, this is another highly recommended motor, despite not being rebuildable, it's a great option for getting wet and dirty)

Servo, there are too many options, it's really down to budget, cheapest I would go with would be the PowerHD 20kg waterproof one, or you can look to some of the waterproof Xpert options, which some are crazy powerful and fast.

thats all great info, Im being swayed by a thread on brushless on the rock crawler forum, do you have any experience with the Tenshock 6 pole 1250?

Apparently it gets really good results, equivalent to something a lot more expensive,

link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenshock-RC906-6-POLE-SENSORLESS-1250KV-Brushless-Motor-for-1-10-Crawler-SCX10/162716930939?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

if this is no good ill give up and go with what you have suggested, I've watched a few vids though and there are a few people with these motors

Just feels more modern, I've seen plenty of posts bashing brushless but they are from 2011-2014 mostly. We are in 2018 and the motor I'm looking at is only around $30 and in comparison videos there is very little difference to the $200 Castle, A sidewinder 3 is about $60 and is a fairly well thought of ESC from what I can see.

Im going to get other crawlers, if its no good I can always spend $20 and have both?

I also have only 3S Lipo and want to stick with 3S really across all my vehicles.

Edited by RobFandango

So I have took the plunge,

I will be bit of a guinea pig and report back what I find, I have ordered a Savox waterproof servo (Apparently pretty good, certainly wasn't cheap for a servo)

TenShock 6 Pole Sensorless 1250KV Brushless Motor For 1/10 Crawler #RC906  and a HobbyWing QuicRun 1/10 Brushless Sensored 60A ESC 10BL60. $70 all in...

If this ends up being rubbish then I will take the plunge and buy the expensive sensored brushless motor.

Thanks for all the help guys, Will this be a waste of money, only time will tell....

Edited by RobFandango

12 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

I wouldn't have said a waste, perhaps a tiny bit of a strange reason for swaying that way, but I hope it works out and it gives you what you want from the vehicle bud :D 

The more videos I watch I want to go and buy a fast motor... Theres a vid on youtube and the guys tyres are hitting the body under acceleration lol, made me laugh!

3 hours ago, RobFandango said:

Stupidly I put one of the end pieces on wrong and had to remove it, this caused me to scratch on of the rods, I don't think it will be viable once but but if it is ill get a replacement.

You're going to get this thing covered in scratches once you use it. Don't worry about it :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

You're going to get this thing covered in scratches once you use it. Don't worry about it :thumbsup:

I did think that, i want to keep the models nice but at the same time they will get used it looks like the position its in it will get scratched, all the rods below look susceptible.

Decided to "Adjust" some of my previous work on the Axial SCX10 ii, I cut down the motor cables (Only a cheap motor) and routed them properly, also moved the on off switch and stuck it down properly. I don't know what you guys think but I personally think its a lot better.

Also fitted my new "Very expensive for what seems like not much reason" Body!

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2015%2014%2030.jpg?d

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2015%2014%2035.jpg?d

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2015%2054%2056.jpg?d

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2016%2002%2038.jpg?d

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2016%2011%2033.jpg?d

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2016%2019%2009.jpg?d

Photo%2027-03-2018,%2017%2040%2055.jpg?d

Could I possibly be the worst solderer on the forum? Really like the body though, but now have no solid front or back bumpers... what do people do about that as this body will get ruined if I use it.

Definitely not the worst soldering I have seen, in fact far from it.

I think the bodies can be hit and miss, bumpers really don't do that much protecting, it's usually the tops that suffer the worst when they roll.

Being that it's a cage, it might be a good idea to add some strength where the cage bolts to the body, then when you do roll, it doesn't crack.

Just be wary of adding too much weight up high.

• Like 1