• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Mini

Davy Crockett

I bought one a week ago. I agree with you regarding throttle control, you seem to pull the trigger almost fully & nothing happens, then suddenly it takes off (wheelies, flips over etc)

Mine came with a suspect battery so I’m running the Turnigy Graphene 600mAh 1S lipos (although you’ll have to change connectors/make an adaptor wire) but much improved runtime & no noticeable drop in power being 1s over 4.8v nimh.

I then done what I saw on YouTube & fitted a 10t Losi Micro T pinion to replace the stock 12t, unfortunately despite ‘keying’ the motor shaft & a spot of glue the pinion would just spin so I’m back to the 12t for now.

Within a few runs the servo gave up too (I haven’t had much luck so far lol) so I’ve fitted a Turnigy MG90S DS/MG 1.8kg/0.10sec servo, this has made a big difference as the stock servo was very slow & weak anyway.

I feel this truck has potential but certainly isn’t good box stock imo.

Edited by DanDare
  • Like 1

I have removed the stock ESC and receiver already. Bought a generic 20Amp esc off the bay and popped a tactic receiver in. Along with the pinion mod, it is a bit better.

This isn't a high quality RC and I do wonder how much effort I should put into it. I have also built a little shelf to put the lipo up front.

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, JarlZERO said:

@DanDare I’ve been looking for those pinions to do the same but they all seem out of stock/discontinued. Where did you find yours? 

I already had my Micro T from years ago, along with spare pinions...

Alright, cheers anyway, I’ll keep looking haha. 

Got a new servo and bearings on the list, along with maybe some grease on the shocks for damping after I’ve finished with internals and got it to final weight. 

Im still a bit lost wondering about a replacement esc, I want to beat that whole all-or-nothing thing but not really sure how to achieve it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I keep meaning to look into a different ESC to combat this annoying behaviour, if I come up with anything cheap & effective I’ll post it :D

Mine is now pretty modified, mid-search for the perfect setup. 

Currently 2s 1000mAh, quicrun 1060, Turnigy mg90s servo, hpi 40 rx/tx. Bit too fast. 

Tried to weight wheels with lead wire, but screwed up the glue so the wobble makes it worse than before so back to stock wheels it is. 

I have a couple smaller ESCs on the way to try, along with a different motor for more torque and less speed. 

Also between myself and a friend we both popped 4 drive shafts in a few packs each. So I got metal on the way. 

Waiting on a new soldering iron to arrive before I can re-attempt the installation of the turnigy receiver controlled switch for the lights. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/06/2018 at 21:01, JarlZERO said:

Also between myself and a friend we both popped 4 drive shafts in a few packs each. So I got metal on the way. 

Where are you getting the metal driveshafts from?  I have popped quite a few as well, a real weak point

20 minutes ago, paul_f said:

Where are you getting the metal driveshafts from?  I have popped quite a few as well, a real weak point

Can’t remember where I went (think it was aliexpress) but you want to look for HBX 2098b driveshafts. They use grubs but seem to hold well. 

You may need to hold them by hand and applying varying twisting pressures (to force edges together) slide them in and out to smooth off the edges before installing.

The issue is those shafts act as a fuse part- instead of popping a shaft, my last failure was the pinion started spinning on the shaft which required removing the gearbox and thread locking until next time. It’s easier to get out than the diffs to swap plastic driveshafts I feel (at least since I removed/snipped the plastic bar that blocks the motor in) but still... it does show it may break something harder/more expensive to replace. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you !

What size of pinion would you recommend ? 10 or 8 tooth ?

Would you recomend any other modification ? 

Btw i've worked a lot on the body and it looks great ?!

( Front bumper remooved (replaced with plastic bar ) + remooved barely all stickers + handle painted + front facias painted ( radiator in black ) + LEDs fixed to body )

15400565407691030985880.jpg

Not changed the pinion, but lower than stock would be better if you know where I can buy one that fits? 

Painted shell, installed rear bumper, receiver controlled lights. Did have clear/frosted windows but I mucked it up at final painting stages so had to go with the stickers. In addition to under the hood. 

4FFDD1DE-C933-4671-B480-73C338080145.jpeg

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jack-t87 said:

I've just got one of these, and the first port if call is the battery. I've seen the 1s lipo and usb lipo charger for sale for this truck, but are there any plug and play nimh batteries available? Not bothered about having lipo, just longer run times. 

The issue with that is higher capacity nimh would be a lot bigger and heavier. Bearing in mind before I modified it the polarity was the opposite way round to everything else I had on the same connector too, and you might just be best picking up another stock nimh.

My first change was esc, radio and battery all at once, because I wanted my own radio and longer run times with lipo cutoff. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up one of these for my daughter for xmas, something little she can use around the house.  First impressions... jeez that's some drag brake!  And whenever you try to do some mild crawling (books, slippers etc) it tips over on to its side.  

Mine came with a 1S lipo (FTX branded 500mah) and a different transmitter, and by god its slow... Wonder if the 4.8v nimh was much faster?

I've already started to tear it down a bit (can't help it...!), and i'm not overly impressed with the quality, but then its cheap(ish) and not likely to get bashed too hard by most users I guess.  Pinion is a plastic 12T, not sure what pitch.  Anybody know, and what diameter the motor shaft is?

Will do some of the mods shown above, particularly the front bumper removal / relocating LED's as with it on it seriously hampers the approach angle. 

• 2 months later...